PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding Brake/Clutch Fluid

riruiz_88
28-06-2007, 08:01 AM
hey people, wanna ask since im gonna be doin this next week. i just want to know approx how many bottles i will need to do this job? cause i dont wanna run out when i have only done half the job. i was think bout 3? wat u's think:wave:

destrukshn
28-06-2007, 08:13 AM
2-3 bottles should do.

aaronng
28-06-2007, 08:15 AM
Brake fluid change - 1.5 bottles
Clutch fluid change - 0.5 bottles

Nothing wrong with getting 3 bottles. Better than doing the job halfway and finding out that you need a few more ml to reach the minimum mark. :)
If you don't open the bottle, it keeps for quite a while.

destrukshn
28-06-2007, 08:18 AM
better to be safe than sorry.
lol.

riruiz_88
28-06-2007, 05:01 PM
ahh thanx boiz for the help. am looking forward to doin this, dunno why. just another question, can u notice a difference in brake and clutch when u change these fluids?

JasonGilholme
28-06-2007, 05:02 PM
yeah the pedals can feel alot firmer, especially if you've got air in the lines before you do it. :thumbsup:

aaronng
28-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Use a turkey baster and take out as much fluid as you can from the resevoir without introducing air into the lines (keep it at minimum). Then top up with new fluid.

Keep pumping that brake pedal until you get clear fluid. Sometimes it takes many many pumps.

The clutch resevoir is very small, so don't let air get in. Keep it topped up no matter what. Once air gets in, you'll be pumping heaps just to get the slave filled again.

riruiz_88
28-06-2007, 05:42 PM
when i am bleeding the brakes, should i keep the nipple in place then press/depress the pedal a couple of times then let the fluid and then attach the nipple again (repeat) OR take off the nipple and press/depress the pedal while topping up the fluid? dunno if i make sense to anyone. i know not to let air in any of them so im gonna get a friend to help me out with it.

aaronng
28-06-2007, 06:23 PM
when i am bleeding the brakes, should i keep the nipple in place then press/depress the pedal a couple of times then let the fluid and then attach the nipple again (repeat) OR take off the nipple and press/depress the pedal while topping up the fluid? dunno if i make sense to anyone. i know not to let air in any of them so im gonna get a friend to help me out with it.

Turn the nipple 1/4-1/3 turn anticlockwise, then pump the brake pedal once. If fluid comes out, keep on going. Once you get clean new fluid, hold the brake pedal down and tighten the nipple the same 1/4-1/3 turn that you used to loosen it. If you overtighten it, you risk snapping the nipple off.

And yes, it takes 2 ppl. One to pump the pedal, the other to check the fluid level in the resevoir and to tighten the nipple.

e240
28-06-2007, 06:28 PM
I've always found 1 small bottle (Motul) more than enough to flush and bleed.

twing
28-06-2007, 06:47 PM
If you have no one to help, then get the brake bleeding tool from super cheap/autobarn. Using that, I did mine by myself.

shadou
28-06-2007, 07:34 PM
I've always found 1 small bottle (Motul) more than enough to flush and bleed.

true, if the fluid is still nice and clean 1 bottle should be sufficient, brake lines aren't that long or thick. Everyone has different ways of doing this

riruiz_88
28-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Turn the nipple 1/4-1/3 turn anticlockwise, then pump the brake pedal once. If fluid comes out, keep on going. Once you get clean new fluid, hold the brake pedal down and tighten the nipple the same 1/4-1/3 turn that you used to loosen it. If you overtighten it, you risk snapping the nipple off.

And yes, it takes 2 ppl. One to pump the pedal, the other to check the fluid level in the resevoir and to tighten the nipple.

if i do this wont this be vulnerable to getting air inside the hoses because when u depress the pedal dosnt it create a "suck" in motion? and also would i need to attach a hose to the nipple or am i just able to put a bucket underneath to pick up the fluid?

muhhan
28-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Here's a link to a video clip that my partner and I put together when we changed the brake fluid in her R33. The concept is pretty much the same for the Hondas. I actually based my method for this brake fluid replacement on my experience with changing the brake fluid in my Civic. Hope it helps!
http://media5.filewind.com/g.php?filepath=5550

aaronng
28-06-2007, 09:01 PM
if i do this wont this be vulnerable to getting air inside the hoses because when u depress the pedal dosnt it create a "suck" in motion? and also would i need to attach a hose to the nipple or am i just able to put a bucket underneath to pick up the fluid?

You use a hose attached to the nipple (sorry, forgot to add that).