PDA

View Full Version : stock intake

h22a accord
12-07-2004, 10:41 AM
hey all, put the stock intake on my accord. Goes better now. Much, much better.

please explain?

I previously had a simotoa CAI but the OEM [acronym:506dfc9cef="Japanese Domestic Market"]JDM[/acronym:506dfc9cef] h22a prelude intake pipe is fatter that the bling shit i had on there. I cant use the accord air box as the mouth is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to small for the intake and i cant use the full lude box as theres not enuff room for it in the engine bay. Cant use the accord intake as there is too much shit hanging off it plus it wont fit onto the h22a throttle body and also it looks like a pea shooter compared to h22a intake.

At moment i have the top half of the lude box with the OEM filter in it.

Im thinking i put a pod on the OEM intake. Either short ram style or CAI style ( down into the guard.

whats ppl think?

I read one in hot 4s about the importance of intake resonators and any gains of fitting a shiny bling pipe with a pod are lost as the resonators on the intake pipe are there for a reason...not just to quieten down the intake. They are there to give midrange power etc.

EuroZ
14-07-2004, 08:55 AM
Air volume on an intake system is often overlooked or not understood when an aftermarket CAI is fitted by a lot of people to their engine. The industry standard is that there is 130% of engine capacity required in air volume between the throttle body and air filter element. What it sounds like you had done by fitting the Simotoa CAI was reduced the air volume capacity significantly enough to reduce the performance of the engine. You then refitted the stock hose and top half of the stock box with the filter in it, therefore returning the air volume to it's optimum capacity and regained the performance you had lost. CAI's that are specifically designed for particular applications are usually OK for a small performance gain but are often much noisier, which may appeal to some.
On a similar note is replacing stock exhaust systems with cat-back or full replacement systems. Back pressure provided by the stock system is altered by the modification which can cause the engine to underperform especially in the mid range of revs. I know of at least one Integra Type R that had a catback fitted and the car became a dog to drive around town as it lost it's mid range performance.
Unfortunately not much is too be gained with simple performance modifications on modern cars and often it can be detrimental to the driveability of the car.