PDA

View Full Version : New Civic Type R 3rd Gear Issue Beware!

obsessionz
28-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Hi Guys just letting everyone know whos thinking of buying the new CTR there is a 3rd gear issue which is pretty big in the UK now there is no fix for it as yet ... so just becareful ...

Please see link below...
http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=132568&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=225ab0f98cc68908ef17c87d9239734c

IndoStyler
28-06-2007, 03:16 PM
it would be nice for u to post up wat it says....most ppl dont have a login for that forum, let alone be bothered to register

post up wat it says for all those lazy ppl...like me:D

JasonGilholme
28-06-2007, 03:24 PM
it would be nice for u to post up wat it says....most ppl dont have a login for that forum, let alone be bothered to register

post up wat it says for all those lazy ppl...like me:D

and me

x2

EuroDude
28-06-2007, 03:32 PM
Yeh u need to copy and paste the article/post ftw

xtercii
28-06-2007, 03:41 PM
haha that's right

obsessionz
28-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Theres pages full of people complaining about 3rd gear is very hard to get into and grinds... if your interested in the topic sign up to the forum and have a read...

weezer
28-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Theres pages full of people complaining about 3rd gear is very hard to get into and grinds...

So its like every other honda? lol

Khrome
29-06-2007, 07:39 AM
Very interested in the people who have picked up the Aus CTR, any 3rd gear problems? What build number do you have?

UNLS1
29-06-2007, 10:14 AM
build nunbers here are now around 3500 +

Tofu
29-06-2007, 11:13 AM
i'm a member there...
here are some of what people have posted...

How are you getting on with the 3rd gear "problem" mentioned in another thread a while ago ? My FN2 is ok but going into 3rd sometimes has a definately different feel.

I can feel 3rd gear engage. Sometimes I get a "don't release the clutch yet because it needs to be pushed into 3rd some more" moment.

It does not feel "wrong" but I have to be more precise and deliberate when going into 3rd.

These observations have all come at low revs (it has not gone over 4000rpm yet because its done so few many miles) so I'm hoping 3rd won't be worse at 8000rpm !

I had my FN2 at the dealers for this problem, and was told it was a known issue, and Honda did not have a fix for it......hopefully that will put paid to the simplistic "old codgers" idea.

Giving it planty of vtec does not cure the issue, and it still rears its head now and again.

yep, mine does it

3rd gear is funny, you can feel two notches when you select it. If you don't hit the second notch it will bounce out.

If I am driving about town and my concentration lapses I do pop out of third. I need to remember to push it in hard till I get the second notch.

Having test driven the FN2 the past two weekends, I ran the gearbox through some rapid changes and did not notice any problems on either test car. I use a very positive swift technique and found it very slick but to tell the truth didn't really try many gentle town driving changes.

I am ordering a Milano red GT this weekend, should I be concerned by this ?
I'm sure nearly all of you are competent drivers, so this is a genuine problem on some cars.
I shall watch developments here with interest. Perhaps I should take one on a gentler test drive to check for this problem.

Just got my call back from Honda Technical, so I am pleased that they followed up on my call to them yesterday.

I was advised that the gearbox issue is under investigation, but there is still no resolution.

They have had a handful of owners raise the issue with them, but judging by the comments on this forum there are quite a number of us affected.

I would recommend that owners should raise the issue with their dealer, such that it can be logged with Honda Technical. That will ensure some focus is kept on the problem.

Hope this helps.

Yep, definately a 'two notch' feel, as opposed to the other gears. Having said that, I haven't crunched 'em yet, just been aware of the difference in feel and acted accordingly. Sorry, but if it takes a split second more to ensure the gear has been properly selected then surely it's worth making sure it's in if that's how it works?

I've also got the '3rd gear issue'. In the past week I've crunched 3 times in 3rd. Each time this has been when first starting the car up and driving with low revs.

When warm the feel in 3rd is inconsistent. Sometimes notchy, other times perfect. I thought it was just me being half asleep when setting off in a morning, but looks like there's more to it after reading this thread!

Ed, I often crunch by accident in my wifes corsa, the box is crap (well 2nd sticks really bad) in that, but it is my fault even in that, its being too soft or not concentrating enough.

Saying all that I find the gear position in the FN2 is slightly further away than my previous car and sits somewhere between the ep3 and most other cars.

My shortish arms and lack of reach to the box doesnt help either, maybe if it was a tad closer to me rather than feel like it im having to slightly reach for it it would help. Not that im stretching but its not an ideal position I find.

I also find that with the clutch, depending on how i'm sitting and reach to the pedals, it's quite often a combination of poor seating position often on the stretch a little if you know what I mean, as I said previous, its not a stretch as such. All these factors add to poor changes and clutch action.

these are only a few quotes from 8 pages of members saying there's a problem with their new FN2

I get exactly the same problem with my TypeS, driving slowly or on the limit, hot or cold, doesn't matter, it happens.