PDA

View Full Version : O2 sensor testing

Limbo
28-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Just noticed my fuel consumption went up when i got my tappets adjusted, now been looking at all the options but couldn't figure out anything so far.

Was thing if the O2 sensor might be dead for some reason.
Questions are;
1) Anyone know how you can tell if its dead?
2) I've been told they usually last for 100,000km? can someone confirm?
3) Anyone know how much a replacement is for an ek4? been told OEM is better than the aftermarket ones also?

ECU-MAN
28-06-2007, 05:30 PM
ngk aftermarket ones are fine, they cost about $100, but you have to solder the connector on it from the old one.

you can get a jaycar kit that test the o2 sensor for about $14 but you have to assemble it your self.

Limbo
28-06-2007, 10:22 PM
thanks mate you seem to know it all!

bennjamin
28-06-2007, 10:26 PM
or even go on a dyno run for $50 and see your A/F ratio in real time. The readout should be easy to tell if ur O2 sensor is giving incorrect /
bad readings.
Maybe The person who did your tappet adjustment used a sealant on the upper gasket that isnt O2 sensor friendly - putting your O2 out of whack

Dxs
29-06-2007, 12:17 PM
isn't the o2 ignored on WOT and high rpm, where the engine just uses the ecu maps?

hence a dyno run will not indicate the o2's status?

dsp26
29-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Just noticed my fuel consumption went up when i got my tappets adjusted, now been looking at all the options but couldn't figure out anything so far.

Was thing if the O2 sensor might be dead for some reason.
Questions are;
1) Anyone know how you can tell if its dead?
2) I've been told they usually last for 100,000km? can someone confirm?
3) Anyone know how much a replacement is for an ek4? been told OEM is better than the aftermarket ones also?

mmk.. not sure what the O2 sensor is like on the Honda's.. wether it's 2 or 3 wire...

3 wire generally means its got a heater. if it's 2 wire you just need to find the one with the positive signal and ground the -ve multimeter connector.

- set multimeter to 1v DC (preferably a quick refresh analogue or digital)
- a working O2 should be very erratic when at warm idle engine temp.
^^^but this is why you also need a fast refresh multimeter... coz when i was testing one before on a nissan with a really old analogue.. looked like it wasn't moving... then i purchased an ecu consult with a faster refresh and it showed it working fine.