PDA

View Full Version : Gap at the corner of the Dash?

Guzzy888
28-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Hi all,

I have just noticed there is a 1cm gap between the driver's side dash and the side pillar of the windscreen. I have attached a photo. There is a bit of a gap at the front passenger side as well. The dash is securely fitted. Could you check if you can see gap in your Euro too?

I have owned the car since new and have only noticed it now. Could the plastic have warped? i noticed the side plastic where the side curtain airbag is very soft. Now that I am aware it is there, it looks soo ugly!

Thanks

Guzzy
(2004 Euro Lux)

tpphan
28-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Yeah, there is a small gap. You don't really notice it at first, but after a while you forget about it.

hip
30-06-2007, 08:30 AM
I have an '04 TSX very similar to your Euro Lux and I believe your problem can be easily fixed.

The weather seal the surrounds the the opening of each door is molded in two parts. A black rubber seal that contacts the door and color coded vinyl trim section to match the interior, essentially it is one piece and hides a multitude of sins like big gaps and sharp metal edges.

You can try to pry out the section that is bent in using a small flat blade screwdriver. Try fitting the screwdriver along the same edge that is bent in but start outside the problem area. Carefully slide it toward the area and lift the bent in molding out from the opening. Be careful and don't dig in and damage the surrounding materials.

If this doesn't work you need to physically remove the malformed section of molding and reinstall it correctly. You need to remove about 10cm past both sides of the problem area. To start, get your fingers under the colored part of the molding and pry it off by pulling it in the opposite direction from it's location. In your case since it is at the top of the dash, pull straight toward the rear of the car - not outward.

Pull firmly but slow, you don't want to remove too much. If you have trouble gripping it with your bare hands, grab it with a small towel and don't be afraid to pull.

You'll notice the underside of the molding has a "C" channel shape that runs the length of it. It is reinforced internally with metal to grip and retain its shape.

Once you have it partially removed, re-bend the trim colored section back out so it isn't flattened against the rubber. It appears someone poked it in trying to install something?

When you reinstall the molding, make sure the gap is fully covered by the flat trim colored section and not bent in again. Use the palm of your hand to secure it by pounding it on along the length you removed.

A few hints:
1. Use your towel to cushion your palm when you smack it back on.

2. Be certain the molding is mated correctly before hitting it or it will not be fully seated and the door may not close properly.

3. Be careful of the exposed bare metal body edge as it may have some sharp burrs.

^__^ SM ^__^
02-07-2007, 07:17 PM
My 06 Std Euro has it too. So... I guess it's normal?

hip
03-07-2007, 09:15 AM
My 06 Std Euro has it too. So... I guess it's normal?

That's the point, this shouldn't be normal unless for some reason during transit, or dealer prep or between the factory and delivery there is someone either fishing wires down the "A" pillar to the fuse block or someone (or something) is grabbing hold of the car at that spot and pushing in the weather seal in?

Either way, the fix should be easy enough unless there is a drastic difference in the gap tolerance between the Euro Accord and the TSX dashboard mounting?