PDA

View Full Version : losing coolant

NSPYRE
28-06-2007, 11:54 PM
hey guys,

dont kno where this fits so i'll just put it in the noob section. anyway, i own a DA9 teg and recently had some headers put in. however, its been 3 days and suddenly my coolant level has dropped drastically. was just below the max fill level and now it sits just above minimum level.

i'll get it checked out for any cracks or leaks in the radiator or hoses. is there any explanation or is it just pure coincidence?

krogoth
29-06-2007, 02:11 AM
id say its pure coincidence

maybe coz the car is old, a crack has formed in the coolant tank...started leaking or something

but the headers wont affect or cause any coolant leakages, IMO

NSPYRE
29-06-2007, 02:39 AM
i had a crack on the top tank but got that repaired. wen u got a cracked radiator, is it just better off to buy a new one? apparently the crack i had was minor so yea..

krogoth
29-06-2007, 03:13 AM
IMO, although im only goin by my own logic

i would get a new one

im not sure how good a sealing job can be...

it also depends on wer the crack is and how large it is..

take ur car to a mechanic and get a professional opinion

29-06-2007, 09:01 AM
a second hand radiator for a LS shouldnt be to expensive, and they will usually come with a 1yr warranty if bought froma decent place.

i've had cracks fixed before by radiator specialty place was half the price of a second hand one and i got a 1 year warranty, so depends on price, they should pressure test them after they fix em and with a warranty you have some saftey. as Kragoth said headers have nothing to do with coolant, unless when the put in the headers they kncoked something... bu t i doubt that.

i say refill the coolant and keep and eye on the radiator level,

or when at operating temp, so after a bit of a drive, open the bonnet and see if u can smell the unmistakable coolant smell, and look for drips, most leaks will only show at op temp.

krogoth
29-06-2007, 10:45 AM
also dont forget

if ur gona be refilling the coolant....

use ur recomended honda coolant...not generic

and wen u put the coolant in....make sure u dont just put coolant in

u have to mix it in with water...

every car is different but id say its 50% water and 50% coolant

check how much water and how much coolant to put in by lookin in ur owners manual

oh, and preferably use distilled water

destrukshn
29-06-2007, 10:52 AM
honda coolant is pre mixed.
so DO NOT mix it with water.

krogoth
29-06-2007, 11:38 AM
^good point

Drew
29-06-2007, 06:39 PM
That is... to say if the radiator is leaking in the first place

But hey what does Drew know, right?

NSPYRE
30-06-2007, 12:04 AM
it could be the hoses. just sed it could be cracked radiator as i had a problem with it in the past. is there any suggestion as to where else coolant might be leaking?

Drew
30-06-2007, 12:10 AM
Cracked head or blown head gasket comes to mind
Heater core -> most commonly the actual piping not the core itself
Anywhere that coolant lines run and joint or any housings ie water pump and thermostat, any of the many bypasses

It's like asking me to drop a penny onto a spot marked 'X' from atop a skyscraper

It's unlikely to be your top tank again; usually they are good for over a decade, however if you just had the tank fitted not a whole new radiator it could be that it's coming loose as the retaining clips don't always hold the new tank once they have been bent out and back in again and maybe under the constant pressure have weakened more and coming loose on their own, in which case a new radiator/core is needed

NSPYRE
30-06-2007, 05:25 PM
cracked head or blown gasket is highly unlikely. there is no milky residue under the radiator cap, dipstick or on the camshafts. exhaust is not blowing out any steam under operating temperature. i had a major service done which included replacement of water pump, head gaskets and all seals. mechanic said everything was top notch.

coolant levels seem to be remaining consistent now... how odd..

Drew
30-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Someone is talking out of their ass here...

Headgaskets? Your car only has one headgasket... Nor are they ever changed as part of any service

NSPYRE
30-06-2007, 05:29 PM
sorry, typo. i asked for it to be changed. would u like a copy of the receipt?

replaced gasket as rocker cover had to come off anyway

Drew
30-06-2007, 05:37 PM
So you replaced the headgasket because the rocket cover came off?
I think you mean the rocker cover gasket was replaced

NSPYRE
30-06-2007, 05:39 PM
^^^ ur right. my bad

Drew
30-06-2007, 05:43 PM
yeah head gasket is different

destrukshn
01-07-2007, 09:33 PM
yeah head gasket is different
very different.