PDA

View Full Version : Lower

serpo
29-06-2007, 12:39 AM
Hey guys rang my local Pedars and they quoted me $300 for my whole car to be lowerd but im also thinkin of goin coil over springs OEM suspension I just want it lower I love how my CRX handles at stock right now but it looks way to jacked up what will happen if I get it lowerd from pedder and drop it 3"? will I still have same control in Hills or will it understeer like crazy?

Dylanamus
29-06-2007, 12:42 PM
serpo, if you dump your car as much as you can, it will have a negative impact on handling. The camber will be out, the shocks will have less piston travel, the control arms will have less movement, etc etc Just get bigger rims so it looks lower lol That will reduce your handling too though haha more unsprung weight and more rotational mass.. you'd have less acceleration too.. must be difficult wanting a performance showcar :/

serpo
29-06-2007, 05:22 PM
*cries a lil* god damn realy wanted it to look good and go good

Dylanamus
29-06-2007, 05:58 PM
serpo: just dump it anyway, like everyone else does.. the "negative effects" won't be *that* bad. If you really want decent handling AND a lowrider, just get coilovers that have an adjustable lower perch, then get a laser wheel alignment and request a print out of the results. As long as the camber isn't ridiculous and the toe is neutral (zero or close enough) you should be fine for some spirited driving!

blabla
29-06-2007, 07:02 PM
if anything go and get the proper sport suspension from pedders. Also jump onto there website and check out the ek. they can set up the system better then any1 else. U can get the sports rider suspension and then go to all springs and get then to re adjust the springs.

Dylanamus
29-06-2007, 07:06 PM
What a waste of money :/

blabla
29-06-2007, 07:13 PM
just a suggestion. he will need to change the shocks to get the best result.

serpo
30-06-2007, 12:30 PM
hmm maybe lowerd springs for cruises and OEM for thrashin lol

Dylanamus
30-06-2007, 01:50 PM
hmm maybe lowerd springs for cruises and OEM for thrashin lol

:(

Muzz
30-06-2007, 06:28 PM
The key to success is comprimise, lower it 1-1.5 inches and still keep some decent handling.

My personal opinion, which may very well mean absolutly zero to you or anyone, is slammed cars look like crap. When i see a slammed performance car i think, hmm the owner is probably either a show pony (would rather look fast than be fast), or a hes a dumbass and thinks that the lower it is the better it performs. But then again i also believe one should modify to please no one but himself, so im kinda contradicting myself!

End pointless rant!:p

goforthandmultiplys2
30-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Here is an engineers piece of advice....you can order through a sprng maker, a set of springs with the same oem rate (ie lbs/inch sq) at the new ride height..and it will not have camber/toe/castor variation in comparison to the oem springs.

Muzz
30-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Here is an engineers piece of advice....you can order through a sprng maker, a set of springs with the same oem rate (ie lbs/inch sq) at the new ride height..and it will not have camber/toe/castor variation in comparison to the oem springs.

Completly incorrect there, also very dangerous advice. This would be no different to cutting the stock springs shorter, one of the most dangerous mods possible.
You NEED to run a stiffer rate with shorter springs to make up for the reduced bump travel. Hitting the bumpstops will dammage the shocks, aswell as throwing all handling out the window. Expect to recieve sudden snap oversteer or understeer on the end that bottoms out during cornering, possibly sending you into innocent pedestrians.

Also the alignment will indeed change! The alignment of the wheels has nothing to do with the stiffness of the springs. The alignment of the wheels change according to where the suspention is sitting in its range of motion. If you lower your car, the wheels will have greater negative camber at static ride height due to the geometry of the suspention, how stiff the springs are wont change a thing.

I very highly doubt this information came from an engineer, im studying mech. engineering and i can tell you this info is completly incorrect, and any real engineer would see this in a split second.

goforthandmultiplys2
01-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Completly incorrect there, also very dangerous advice. This would be no different to cutting the stock springs shorter, one of the most dangerous mods possible.
You NEED to run a stiffer rate with shorter springs to make up for the reduced bump travel. Hitting the bumpstops will dammage the shocks, aswell as throwing all handling out the window. Expect to recieve sudden snap oversteer or understeer on the end that bottoms out during cornering, possibly sending you into innocent pedestrians.

Also the alignment will indeed change! The alignment of the wheels has nothing to do with the stiffness of the springs. The alignment of the wheels change according to where the suspention is sitting in its range of motion. If you lower your car, the wheels will have greater negative camber at static ride height due to the geometry of the suspention, how stiff the springs are wont change a thing.

I very highly doubt this information came from an engineer, im studying mech. engineering and i can tell you this info is completly incorrect, and any real engineer would see this in a split second.

Just testing....nice to see you're on the ball and some sound advice is being offered here.