PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt

EDCivic
30-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Is it fact or myth that if the belt breaks, you end up bending your valves and other nasty stuff ? We did loose a belt a few years back and the mechanic said how extremely lucky we were that this did not happen, i.e. a new belt and we were on our way. I would have thought that there would be recesses on the tops of the pistons to avoid this ?

ECU-MAN
30-06-2007, 06:13 PM
its no myth

not all honda engines are fee running, although some are.

do you really wanna find out ????

keric_02
30-06-2007, 06:54 PM
sounds like u got off lucky... heard a few stories of people that weren't so lucky.

Kiz_EG6
30-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Yeah, pretty much sounds like you really got lucky.

A belt should last well over say 120 000 k's, that's why they say to change at every 100k, that way you have no real risk of it snapping.

As for the amount of damage it will do, it really depends how hard you are pushing it at the time. :)

Drew
30-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Not completely true, Kia's and Celica's have been known to snap as early as 90,000km...

SINISTR
30-06-2007, 08:27 PM
not only that but Holden recommends changing the timing belt on the Astras every 60000kms.

When a belt snaps you could be lucky that if happens so quickly 'everything stops' and nothing gets bent. If a belt frays, slips and breaks, or gets stripped - your cam shaft timing and crankshaft timing will be different - and thats where the bent valves and damage comes from - pistons move up while the valves are open and boom, bent valve.

DLO01
30-06-2007, 09:43 PM
No myth at all....

I did this on my old celica. The cam gear came loose from the camshaft itself and the locking pin came out. This put my exhaust valve out of time and I bent all 4 exhaust valves. Pistons were slightly damaged and the valve guides were cracked.

EDCivic
30-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the feed back. Sounds as if I should have bought a lottery ticket that day. I have replaced timing belts/chains before but never in this one. Is it a big job or is it better off to let the Honda mechanic do it (as previously) ?

keric_02
01-07-2007, 10:36 AM
holden astra's timing belts have to be replaced every 60,000. how bad is that...

Kiz_EG6
01-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Not completely true, Kia's and Celica's have been known to snap as early as 90,000km...

Yeah dude, but kia's?!...

They would have to be one of the s#!test cars ever made, my mate rented one in Tassie and after that i'm surprised that the engine has enough power to snap a cam belt!

Boban
01-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the feed back. Sounds as if I should have bought a lottery ticket that day. I have replaced timing belts/chains before but never in this one. Is it a big job or is it better off to let the Honda mechanic do it (as previously) ?

It's not as big of a job as some ppl believe mate. I've done a few in the backyard and all you need is some common sense, like line everything up and mark it so when you put it together everything is running properly.

EDCivic
01-07-2007, 12:14 PM
It's not as big of a job as some ppl believe mate. I've done a few in the backyard and all you need is some common sense, like line everything up and mark it so when you put it together everything is running properly.
Do you need jack up the motor and remove the engine mount so that you can get the belt off/on ?

ECU-MAN
01-07-2007, 06:43 PM
sure do, also on ED you have to loosen the side bracket ( 3 bolts. two are under the exhaust manifold, but you can get to them )

not a hard job at all. the ed eg sohc timing belts would have to be the easyest ones to do other than the 2.7V6

paddy13
02-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Any ideas on approx how much this would cost to fix if a dealer did it??
EK 97 model...

TheGoodDeal
02-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Any ideas on approx how much this would cost to fix if a dealer did it??
EK 97 model...

I change my at Ultra tune (with Gates timing belt) for $280. Honda dealer Quote $450

paddy13
02-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Woah, good ol dealers and there prices!

Thanks for the info.

Can anyone else recommend other shops in Brisbane??

DLO01
02-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Evolution Automotive

Eight Mile Plains

Ph. 3341 1582

TheGoodDeal
02-07-2007, 04:06 PM
You also can find out "Is your car engine interference engines or not?" by download this brochure. Note: For timing belt change interval may be different (They are apply for US I think)

http://www.gates.com/downloads/download_common.cfm?
file=TBR05.pdf&folder=brochure

TheGoodDeal
02-07-2007, 04:11 PM
You also can find out "Is your car engine interference engines or not?" by download this brochure. Note: For timing belt change interval may be different (They are apply for US I think)

http://www.gates.com/downloads/download_common.cfm?
file=TBR05.pdf&folder=brochure

Oops, the link not working. Here's again

http://www.gates.com/downloads/download_common.cfm?file=TBR05.pdf&folder=brochure

ECU-MAN
02-07-2007, 05:46 PM
oem belt only cost $45

1.5 to 2 hours work max

Killa From Manila
02-07-2007, 05:54 PM
the timing belt on my friends vw golf snapped. he was 1 of the lucky ones and did not do any head damage.

Drew
02-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Yeah dude, but kia's?!...

They would have to be one of the s#!test cars ever made, my mate rented one in Tassie and after that i'm surprised that the engine has enough power to snap a cam belt!

You could also look at it as the belt isn't strong enough to stay in one piece

EDCivic
02-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Bring back the chain ! At least these just get rattly with age, and to replace them was a simple exercise, well in my old then brand new TX Gemini Coupe (geeze I'm getting old :eek:)

paddy13
02-07-2007, 09:32 PM
Can you usually hear when a timing belt might be getting ready to go??

As in low down in the revs when accelerating you can hear a noise?

EDCivic
02-07-2007, 10:06 PM
After all of my years of driving I have only experienced it once many years ago and as I recall the car made no unusual noise, but the engine just simply stopped. Nothing fancy driving wise, just sitting on 60 k's. When it has happened once in your life you soon remember how to sus it out because initially you try and start the car. It all turns over as per normal but doesn't fire up. Take off the dizzy cap and get someone to turn over the engine and presto, rotor button stays still !

TheGoodDeal
02-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Can you usually hear when a timing belt might be getting ready to go??

As in low down in the revs when accelerating you can hear a noise?

I don't think you can hear any noise when it about to go. But you can visual inspect it, by open the valve cover and upper timing belt cover to see any crack, missing teeth, stretch or oil stain on it

EDCivic
02-07-2007, 10:34 PM
That's right TheGoodDeal I forgot to add, when we took the belt off it it didn't snap, but lost a bunch of teeth when it went around the crankshaft pully i.e. the belt stayed still when the poor old crankshaft went thru' its final turns leaving the poor valves thinking what the ?

TheGoodDeal
02-07-2007, 10:45 PM
When I change my timing belt. It has been stretch. Car done 95K km & 9 yrs old at that time, a bit late for time interval (5 yrs). Better safe than sorry.

paddy13
03-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Cheers for the info guys.

EDCivic
16-07-2007, 09:50 PM
sure do, also on ED you have to loosen the side bracket ( 3 bolts. two are under the exhaust manifold, but you can get to them )

not a hard job at all. the ed eg sohc timing belts would have to be the easyest ones to do other than the 2.7V6

OK I'm keen. My local Honda shop quoted $300 and said 4 hours work. I was also quoted $54 for an original Honda timing belt so I'll buy it, but are there any last gotcha's ? Would this also be a good time to replace the water pump while it's apart ?