PDA

View Full Version : input shaft bearing damaged...

jeckt
30-06-2007, 04:34 PM
As stated by aaronng, my input shaft bearing is being damaged, and it'll take a whole new gearbox to fix it but i was wondering what are the possible damages to the car while driving without fixing it

my guess is that, it'll wear out the engine and transmission quicker. will it affect any other components of the car?

btw my car is a 97 Ek Sedan GLi

jeckt

Drew
30-06-2007, 05:49 PM
It will destroy your clutch and gearbox in a relatively short time

Get it fixed asap

ECU-MAN
30-06-2007, 05:58 PM
the longer you leave it the more it will cost to repair

fix it soon before the metal fragments from the bearing go to town on the metal patrs in the gearbox.

jeckt
01-07-2007, 12:57 AM
do you guys know how much it'll roughly cost to get this fixed? i heard i have to replace the whole gearbox to fix the problem

does anyone know any places to get a new gearbox for my d16y4 engine?
or am i able to fix it while keeping my gearbox?

also, how does the input shaft bearing get damaged? cause if it's my driving i'd like to know for next time, so it doesn't happen again

i just got my Ps not long ago and my car like a week ago, so i don't know much about this stuff but i'd like to learn more

sorry for all the questions and fanx for all the input!

jeckt

aaronng
01-07-2007, 01:30 AM
You don't have to replace the whole gearbox. But the cost of labour of opening up the gearbox to replace the input shaft bearing would be more than just buying a 2nd hand box.

fatboyz39
01-07-2007, 10:28 AM
D-seris gearbox's are cheap. Might as well get a 2nd hand one.

wynode
01-07-2007, 11:40 AM
It will destroy your clutch and gearbox in a relatively short time

How exactly does it kill your clutch?

D-seris gearbox's are cheap. Might as well get a 2nd hand one.

My only issue with that is how do you know you don't have a worn ISB (or other item) in the gearbox you buy? Maybe look at getting your gearbox overhauled and do your clutch at the same time.

If you want to know what's involved in changing out the ISB (or do it yourself if you're keen) have a look at this DIY (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12789&highlight=input+shaft).

IEVAQ8
01-07-2007, 11:48 AM
my 2 pointers
my input chaft bearing had shit it self......
i drove it like tht for over 10,000kms, it sounded like th bottom end was knocking, but the car gear box is fine
i striped it and put brand new shaft berig and seals and also the 2 diff bearing as it is dc2r with lsd
and the box, is spot on, unless the bearing has damaged other internals in the box, just pull it down and see before you by a new one.

wynode
01-07-2007, 11:57 AM
If you spend all the time pulling it apart....you might aswell replace it and any other bearings that require replacement. From memory the ISB was only about $50 or so (you'll know when you give the old ISB a spin in your hand and compare it to a new one) :)

jeckt
01-07-2007, 07:11 PM
If you spend all the time pulling it apart....you might aswell replace it and any other bearings that require replacement. From memory the ISB was only about $50 or so (you'll know when you give the old ISB a spin in your hand and compare it to a new one) :)

the ISB isn't expensive but what about labour costs? any approximations on the costs and places to do it at?

like i'd personally like to do it myself but i don't have the time plus i don't wanna stuff anything up while trying to fix it - as i'm still in school and don't have alot of money

bennjamin
01-07-2007, 09:04 PM
ok - for an idea ( at a workshop)

labour to pull gearbox off / reinstall = $300
labour to take gearbox apart and install the
bearing/s = another $2-500 ish
ISB = $50
rough idea....

jeckt
01-07-2007, 09:37 PM
that's a pretty painful rough idea lol

well...since i don't really have the funds to fix this problem, i'm probably going to sell the car *sigh*

either that or borrow money off family and do an engine conversion - drop a b16a or b18c

fanx for the input anyways guys, i've got a rough of what to do with my car now!

wynode
01-07-2007, 10:49 PM
I noticed you're in Sydney. Give Hanny's performance a call or actually call up a few other workshops if you want to get some accurate estimates on price.

mqt55s
01-07-2007, 11:53 PM
from personal experience,
my input shaft bearing was rooted, caused gear changes to be a little bit harder. made some funky whirrring noises on decel. the guy who re-did replaced my bearing said it can cause miss-alignment of the gears causing damage to gear teeth.
i had it fixed when i replaced my clutch. 300 to take off the box(western clutches) and around 150 to replace the bearing

E-Honda
03-07-2007, 03:26 AM
i am also getting the whirring noise from my gear box

but reading all the related threads its seems that the symtoms of worn ISB and worn thrust bearing is very similar and i am having trouble distiguishing which problem i have with my car.

The noise only occurs when i take off while riding the clutch (whirring sound is very noticeable, more so when on a hill)... but once im of and cruising there is no more noise

anyone have any ideas??? very much appreciated

aaronng
03-07-2007, 07:49 AM
i am also getting the whirring noise from my gear box

but reading all the related threads its seems that the symtoms of worn ISB and worn thrust bearing is very similar and i am having trouble distiguishing which problem i have with my car.

The noise only occurs when i take off while riding the clutch (whirring sound is very noticeable, more so when on a hill)... but once im of and cruising there is no more noise

anyone have any ideas??? very much appreciated

If the sound is when your clutch is pressed in, then it is your thrust bearing. Try dabbing in some grease onto it using a stick. If the sound goes away temporarily (if it is not too damaged yet), then it is the thrust bearing.

aimre
08-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Hey, thought id add here instead of a new thread.

Symptoms:

Car in neutral, clutch NOT pressed. Whirring noise
When pressed goes away
When i drive it sounds like i got a dog box

ISB?

IEVAQ8
08-08-2007, 05:30 PM
definatly isb

aaronng
08-08-2007, 06:20 PM
Yup, input shaft bearing.

aimre
08-08-2007, 07:00 PM
also, when the car is rolling, in a gear, but with the clutch pressed it makes a noise

Limited
10-09-2007, 01:33 PM
I have the same problem with my DC2, took it to my mechanic and he said it was the gearbox bearing... could he be wrong? Whats the difference between the gearbox bearing and ISB? He recommended me to get a second hand gearbox or get my current one reconditioned. Which is a better option?

Hey, thought id add here instead of a new thread.

Symptoms:

Car in neutral, clutch NOT pressed. Whirring noise
When pressed goes away
When i drive it sounds like i got a dog box

ISB?

IEVAQ8
10-09-2007, 05:22 PM
isb or gearbox bearing same thing, i wqould recomend keeping ure box and rebuild it, that way you know what its been through and check anything else inside that may be screwed, if you buy another who knows how long it will last and wat life its had..
i rebuilt mine..........
and that way i knew the condition of what ever went back in and the parts i didnt change

fatboyz39
11-09-2007, 12:23 PM
For Dc2 recondition it. 2nd Dc2 boxes goes for too much.

Its not that hard to do if you have some mechanical knowledge.

oyeahas15
11-09-2007, 03:23 PM
my 2 pointers
my input chaft bearing had shit it self......
i drove it like tht for over 10,000kms, it sounded like th bottom end was knocking, but the car gear box is fine
i striped it and put brand new shaft berig and seals and also the 2 diff bearing as it is dc2r with lsd
and the box, is spot on, unless the bearing has damaged other internals in the box, just pull it down and see before you by a new one.

Who stripped you gear box down ? :p Thats right it was me remember
Best bet is to pull the box apart and find what the damage is and if your on a budget just replace that particular part. Manual boxes are very strong so it wont be too bad but do it asap so you dont cause any damage.