PDA

View Full Version : small boost

m2h
15-10-2003, 02:48 AM
Is it possable to have a small size turbo and letting some small boost to the stock engine without any upgrades? something like 3-5psi? wht parts i need and which turbo i looking for? price etc.. and will it works on those carbs?

A'PEXi
15-10-2003, 10:09 AM
hair dryer, electrical turbo action lol :lol: :lol:

poid
15-10-2003, 10:15 AM
yeh low boost is OK, cost is uaully around 5k for a basic setup to like 8-10k for a better setup. You can turbo a carb engine, but it's not something i'm familiar with.

As far as parts go, you may find that you can get kits already done by companies like AVO and Croydon, this is the best way to go if you havent done a shiteload of research.

Otherwise parts that would be needed include turbo, wastegate (if turbo doesnt have an actuator already), intercooler, intercooler piping, manifold for turbo, dump pipe (and full custom exhaust is advisable), injectors, fuel pump, aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, a decent form of engine management, clutch, brake upgrade (at least to better performing pads), fittings and oil ines for the turbo's oil supply and drainage, and then additional things like boost controller, gauges, BOV etc that arent really necessary, but most people get.

VTi-RT
15-10-2003, 01:22 PM
With an EFi car, you need to trick the ecu into pushing more fuel into the engine. Carbies are easier to work with in this respect (if you know what your doing) as it's all mechanical.

I'm sure if you look around, you can find good second hand turbo components and get a small system for the $4000.00 mark.

fueltank
15-10-2003, 03:29 PM
FYI, there is an AVO civic turbo kit forsale on fastfoursforums.
I think the guy wanted 3.5k?

Rufes1
15-10-2003, 04:01 PM
Depending what car you have, it can be easy or hard.

If you have an ed civic like myself which is carb you will need to get the turbo manifold custom made, unless you happen to find a second hand one lieing around. Then you will need new bigger jets in your carbs to push more fuel into the engine. Then you will ALSO need to do all the custom piping etc etc//

Its not really worth spending the amount for the small gains you will get from running 3 - 5psi.. Your better off doing an engine transplant.

My 2 bob n e way

poweredbyhonda
18-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Carby setups work o.k. as there are no Airflow problems. You'll need to get a custom adaptor made up to hook the turbo to the carby, a bigger fuel pump, probably need to modify the carby as the standard item won;t be able to pump out enough fuel.
I had 2 carby turbo cars. Easy to work on I reckon.

SLAVE
20-10-2003, 10:22 AM
I heard if you get some nice mates you can get good boost for lower prices, and that its NOT dodgy at all. ;) Track proven. Shop around.

DeL sLoW
20-10-2003, 09:19 PM
If you want to buy a AVO manifold I got one i wanna sell its never been used Pm me if u r interested :D

INFLYT
29-10-2003, 06:03 PM
Im actually considering a low boost application like this for a DC2 Integra VTI-R. My recipe would go something like this:

Garrett T28 Turbocharger
Dump Pipe
Custom Exhaust Manifold
Turbonetics 32mm External Wastegate
Custom Front Mount Intercooler
Microtech Microfueller & Extra Injector
Unichip Piggy Back E.C.U
Turbosmart Bleed Valve
Oil line's/Fitting's Etc..............

Opinion's?

poid
30-10-2003, 07:15 AM
Looks good, though i prefer replacing the stock injectors with bigger units instead of adding an extra one.

You might also need a fuel pump, and most likely a new clutch. Oh, and Tial wastegates are good, though you might not need an external gate as most T28's i've seen have an internal gate

INFLYT
30-10-2003, 03:21 PM
What sort of Honda injector's are a direct fit into a B18C? Honda Legend 2.7 injector's?
Agreed, a clutch would also get added to the list, and maybe a VL Turbo fuel pump, as I've got plenty of bit's and peice's from my previous car (See signature). :wink:

poid
30-10-2003, 04:05 PM
Well i'm not sure how much power your setup would put out, but i would be running something like 440 or 450cc injectors, and no stock Honda has injectors this large (as far as i know).

However it seems GTR injectors (which are 444cc) are suitable, as well as possibly injectors from GSR Lancers (though i havent verified that myself).

New injectors you should be able to find for maybe $150 each.

The reason i dislike adding an extra injector is that there is no guarantee that all the cylinders will be getting the same amount of fuel in that case.

I think a unichip should be able to control this, another cheapish option is a TSI unit which is about $1400 installed and tuned.

INFLYT
30-10-2003, 07:53 PM
I would estimate the set-up to be good for no more than 120kw @ the wheel's, so an overkill fuel set-up probably won't be required.
As for injector's, I haven't actually had a look to see if the standard one's are hose tail type etc, so im not sure what would fit at this stage.

poid
31-10-2003, 07:14 AM
yeh from memory they are top feed hose-tail.

Overkill isnt needed, no. But remember you are turbo'ing an NA car...the last thing you want is a fuel issue as the internals are much more prone to damage from detonation.

Its all in the fuel delivery and management :wink:

BLKCRX
31-10-2003, 01:37 PM
hmmm injectors should be much less than 150$ for low boost you can get away with 320 but hell you might as welll use 550.

On teg which I just turboed we used 550cc injectors and at 7800rpm there on 36% duty cycle on 7psi, for although most people who go turbo eventually replace there pistons and rebuild there engine and want more boost so it pays getting larger injectors a better fuel setup and engine management in the first hand, you could also argue the point about getting a better manifold and turbo also in the first place.

The teg 97 gsi we just turbo’ed had 69kw standard, and in the ended with 120kw with Hondata and drives perfectly on 6psi no hesitation perfect fuel economy and is such a fun to drive.

Low boost setups on stock engines rock, although using a small turbo isn’t always the best due to traction, you don’t want full boost at 2000rpm because were fwd cars, you want boost to rise as you rev peaking at a optimal point for best street driveability, which is why most kits come with t3t4 hybird turbos matched for street ability.

Regards James

poid
31-10-2003, 01:59 PM
yeh they should be less than $150, i threw $150 in cos thats a fairly easily attainable price.

The teg sounds nice, 10-11hp per psi sounds about right to be gaining according to everything i understand so nice to see that happening in reality. May i ask what turbo you used on it?

Totally agree with everyone you said about fuel management, boost is a drug and once you get a taste you end up going nuts looking for more :lol:

BLKCRX
31-10-2003, 04:21 PM
It made much more power than 10-11hp per psi !!

69kw at the wheels = 122.5hp
120kw at wheels = 216hp on 6psi
Closer to 16hp extra per psi

its using a t3t4 razz tech modified turbo, with a full stainless steel gauge 8 manifold, the turbo / manifold / fuel system is designed for 20psi + but currently the stock engine is limiting the amount of boost.

Regards James

poid
31-10-2003, 04:50 PM
Those figures arent right though, 1hp = 0.746kw roughly, which gives:

69kw = 92.5hp
120kw = 160.9hp

Difference is 68.4hp, giving 11.4hp per pound of boost

Ahhh OK, the traditional T3/T4 :)

BLKCRX
31-10-2003, 04:53 PM
guess it all depends on which kw - hp figures u use.. farkin yanks have there own standard !!

poid
31-10-2003, 05:04 PM
Pretty sure they use the same standard man...i a reference site i use states that the B18C5 has 195hp, which gives 145kw, and the F22B1 in the accord is listed at 145hp (giving 108kw), so its about right

As far as i know kw and hp are the same globally, but there are other standards like ps etc

INFLYT
01-11-2003, 03:09 PM
What was the value on the whole installation on that Integra, if you don't mind me asking?

Weq
01-11-2003, 10:24 PM
U can get 440cc injectors from the US (RC's) for around $220-30 US shipped. Less then $350 landed for a set of 4.

poid
02-11-2003, 01:54 AM
You'll find that most of the places that say "$230 shipped" or whatever will charge extra to ship to australia cos it costs so much more.

But yeh, they can be had for reasonable prices :)

Weq
02-11-2003, 01:42 PM
210 shipped to the US. these things dont exactly take up much space or weigh alot. So i added on some dollars for good measure.

BLKCRX
02-11-2003, 05:15 PM
Remember that you will also pay 15% import tax and 10% gst on anything from the USA,( until we get this free trade agreement happening yay for that )
normal there's also a custom handling fee also...

so 210 i recon plus 30us for shipping out to aust = 240
369aust plus tax's (25%) = $461 or so...

Regards James

Weq
02-11-2003, 07:15 PM
I have had items shipped for more form ebay which havnt been taxed... isnt the bottom limit $1000 before tax applys.

poid
02-11-2003, 07:27 PM
nope, supposedly the threshold is $400

Often customs dont bother hitting you with duty if the box isnt too big or heavy regardless of value

Note that duty is payable on the value of the items (ie not including shipping) while GST is payable on value of item+shipping+duty (so yes, you pay another 10% on the duty)