PDA

View Full Version : tinny buzzing exhaust at 3k rpm

Andsss
13-07-2004, 12:07 AM
Hey guys,

just put my tanabe on, a lil quieter than my other 3a muffler but the buzzing at about 3k rpm which iv always had (could hear it as much coz previous muffler was very loud)

anybody know why? the tanabe is on teh end of a full exhuast 2.25 OBX 4-2-1 headers hi flow cat..resonator...

thanks!

wynode
13-07-2004, 12:53 AM
Does it sound like there are some nuts and bolts stuck in the middle of your exhuast? If so it might be a collapsed resonator.

tinkerbell
13-07-2004, 03:29 PM
it is called a resonance, it is common in 4 cylinder engines,

my 'jar of bees' starts at about 3000rpm and goes way by about 4500rpm...

i have heard you can 'tune it out' with different size resonators...

Psyklops
13-07-2004, 03:43 PM
Hmm I have a similar noise occurring at the same rev point...and it started happening after I installed my headers.....it has been suggested that there may be the cat heat shield that is vibrating, but when i jumped under my car to check, there was no indication it is the heat shield...it is not touching the underside of the car body at all, and is rock solid......so I guess it may be either what Wyn said...a collapsed resonator, or what tink has mentioned.....it is kinda annoying but not enuff to get it looked at professionally

tinkerbell
13-07-2004, 03:46 PM
got 4-1s'?

Psyklops
13-07-2004, 03:47 PM
nah 4-2-1 back to the cat...xforce stainless....
here-

http://www.ozhonda.com/viewtopic.php?t=7967

tinkerbell
13-07-2004, 03:50 PM
it is more pronounced on 4-1's...

luzinit
13-07-2004, 10:34 PM
i had something similar, n ended up being the heat shield.. took it off and no problems now.. used to buzz at 2700rpm.. either that, or ur vtec is kicking in!! hahaha..

Andsss
13-07-2004, 10:53 PM
Actaully listening to it today i think its coming from the front..ill check it out tommorow..migh be the headers...any reason?!

EuroAccord13
14-07-2004, 03:18 AM
Get your nuts checked... might be loose somewhere.. I mean the nuts on the exhaust :P...

Or It could be Bees inside getting angry that u revved it up too much?

bumthology
14-07-2004, 11:39 PM
i've got a Walker muffler my friend found in his backyard,
its tinny at high revs, but deep and beasty, and especially rough ! =D
i like it
haha

Andsss
15-07-2004, 11:25 AM
Heatshield where? cat headers? where? its definetly from the front tho...

VTEChnique
15-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Stainless Steel Headers tend to have more resonance ability than both Mild Steel and your stock cast-iron efforts.. Thanks to the thinner walls of the piping.

The resonance at certain RPM points can trigger vibration to some parts near to the exhaust system, often it's your heat-sheild on your cat, or the chassis heat-sheilds etc. Friend of mine fitted 5Zigen Miracle Fireball Cat-Back and [acronym:5a79ff7094="Japanese Domestic Market"]JDM[/acronym:5a79ff7094] ITR header and he also had the resonance at like 1700 RPM, but it went away after a while.

how to fix ? you can TRY to wrap the header in heat-wrap tape stuff, and also possibly wrap the front section of your exhausr pipe.. and try removing your chassis heat sheilds... but the best way to 'tune' the resonance is as Tinks said, change the resonator to a larger Item.

cda96
30-09-2004, 03:00 PM
hey guys, i got prob mayb sum can help..
i get this tinny noise about 2.5-3 grand but only when the
car is cold, first 1-2 mins of driving really shits me
dun think its an exhaust prob mayb engine related
ne1 hav same probss..
thanx

dundas
30-09-2004, 03:21 PM
when my car gets Prperly warm not just by the gauge, it sounds a lot better than when it is cooler, like when cold i get MORE of the bees and the tinz,,,,,but yeah i got a resi in.. maybe i need a different one?

which headers would be the best? ceramic or stainless??? oh or mild steel?

Creative
03-10-2004, 01:15 PM
With my Tanabe exhaust, I get a sound that sounds like someone is blowing across the top of an open bottle. It happens at the 2,000 - 3,500 rpm range in all gears....

Seems to do it when both warm and cold....It shits me cos its actually quite loud and u hear it over the exhaust note....Is this the same sound?

Im taking my car to the shop this week to check it out :)

ArSe
03-10-2004, 01:37 PM
yeah it happens mostly if you have changed headers, its normal because nothing beats stock standard parts and once you have removed them or put aftermarket parts in there where may be some noise. but some headers do make those nosie due to the heat from the stainless steel headers.....happens to my dc2r

civic__dd
06-10-2004, 05:21 PM
I heared that with the xforce headers that i own its caused by the flexi joint getting ripped from the cat. It can apparently be fixed by replacing the flexi joint. Do a search of xforce vs hurricanes or something like that. Im yet to get mine fixed but i liket he noise it turns heas when you back off from 6-7grand in first:)