PDA

View Full Version : ATS 3.077 lengthen first gear

DC2108
04-07-2007, 05:37 PM
this this any good ? cause im getting 4.7 final drive wondering if i should get this done as well
it make your 1st gear longer
not sure if it would affect the other gear but
any help will be good

Dylanamus
04-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Only the final drive would affect the other gears. The taller first gear is for circuit or point to point racing where there are corners that you need to take at 50kmph or so. By increasing the ratio of first gear, you will be able to downshift to first when doing 70kmph (purely an example) and remain at peak power until shifting back up to second.

If you plan only to drive on the street or are more interested in drag racing, it would probably be a bad option, as it would decrease the speed of your launch.

ATS allegedly make good quality gears, but I cannot personally testify to this rumour.

sifoo
04-07-2007, 06:36 PM
[QUOTE=If you plan only to drive on the street or are more interested in drag racing, it would probably be a bad option, as it would decrease the speed of your launch.
QUOTE]

Thinking bout doing the same mod except I was going to go with an ATS 4.9 FD instead. Wouldn't a longer 1st gear be beneficial in drag racing since 1st and 2nd gear are closer together?

Dylanamus
04-07-2007, 06:55 PM
[QUOTE=If you plan only to drive on the street or are more interested in drag racing, it would probably be a bad option, as it would decrease the speed of your launch.
QUOTE]

Thinking bout doing the same mod except I was going to go with an ATS 4.9 FD instead. Wouldn't a longer 1st gear be beneficial in drag racing since 1st and 2nd gear are closer together?

Depends on many things, like power and torque: how much, and where it peaks. Ideally you want to spend as little time as possible out of the peak power band.

Dylanamus
04-07-2007, 06:58 PM
It would be ideal to only have one gear and a completely flat torque/power band, uneffected by rpm. But that kind of a feat is something only electric motors can achieve (or maybe get a CTV transmission instead LOL) :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrightspeed_X1

DC2108
04-07-2007, 07:36 PM
thank for the help but wat do you mean by
quote=If you plan only to drive on the street or are more interested in drag racing, it would probably be a bad option, as it would decrease the speed of your launch.
QUOTE]
which one will decrease my lauch the 4.7 or 3.077 1st gear
i will take my car on the track btw lolz not drag

Dylanamus
04-07-2007, 07:38 PM
4.7 Final Drive will improve your acceleration.
3.077 1st gear will take your car longer to reach peak power in first, so you will have a slower 100m time.

Dylanamus
04-07-2007, 07:42 PM
Something I overlooked.. what car/transmission are you talking about modifying here?

If you have the ITR as pictured in your avatar, the 4.7 FD is actually lower than your stock one at 4.785 and would pretty much be a waste of money.

DC2108
04-07-2007, 08:37 PM
nah in a EK4 LOLZ
thanx for the help man

barefootbonzai
04-07-2007, 10:23 PM
I had ATS 4.9 FD in my old setup, a longer 1st gear would have helped heaps, if i was to do it again, i would defnitely do it.