PDA

View Full Version : Civic Type R Ask the Experts forum

wynode
04-07-2007, 09:50 PM
Got this via the HondaONE Newsletter.

Here's your chance to ask the (real) experts any question you might have about the new CTR.

Better get in quick though as the forum / chance to ask questions is tomorrow!

Copy of the email:

Ever wanted to know something about the Civic Type R but don't know who to ask? Well you can! Just register for the Ask the Experts forum for your chance to chat live with the experts on 5 July at 7:30pm.

On hand to answer your questions will be:

Honda's Technical Expert, Peter McDowell
Product Planning Manager, Matthew Nicol
Public Relations Manager, Mark Higgins Registration for this one off event are now open so make sure you register now to reserve your place.

Click the following URL to register (you must register in advance to ask a question).

http://www.hondaexperts.com.au/

Post back here if you get something beneficial out of this :)

Drew
05-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Someone get a chat log for it

aaronng
05-07-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm registered for it. Please post up the questions you wish to ask if you don't want to register for it.

Questions:
1) Why the limited colours? Will there be new colours coming out in the future? Where is Championship White?
2) Why isn't there an option for the 19" rims that UK gets?
3) Why no LSD?
4) Why no Brembos?

EK4R
05-07-2007, 01:35 PM
ask them whats the reason for the limited amount of colours. or will they be new colours few years on. most people would probably want white.

yourfather
05-07-2007, 01:59 PM
why'd they get shit wheels instead of using rays or another good looking wheel designer.

Dreams
05-07-2007, 02:27 PM
ask them .. why the *freek they bring the hatch instead of the sedan.

aaronng
05-07-2007, 02:41 PM
ask them .. why the *freek they bring the hatch instead of the sedan.

2 reasons.
They want a hot hatch, not a hot sedan.
Second and most important is that when they finalised the UK CTR negotiations, the JDM CTR was not yet revealed. Not even as the prototype.

yourfather
05-07-2007, 02:42 PM
where'd championship white go

aaronng
05-07-2007, 03:10 PM
why'd they get shit wheels instead of using rays or another good looking wheel designer.

That's because of cost. And they are in UK, not Japan. :)

yourfather
05-07-2007, 03:11 PM
I bet you can get a discount on bulk orders of say, 4,000 sets of rays wheels

aaronng
05-07-2007, 03:16 PM

Maybe they don't like JDM and wanted UKDM rims. hehee.

kyle
05-07-2007, 04:10 PM
I wanna know.

- Why no LSD?
- Why so Heavy?
- Why torsion beam rear sussy not double wishbone.
- If the K20's come from the same plant, then why is the JDM on rate 15Hp more? Don't tell me it's diff fuel.
- Will there be Championship White Type R in the future?
- Do you really think that this type R fits in with Honda's Type R Philosophy? Or is it just a money making venture to compete in the european hot hatch market.

kyle
05-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Also why no Brembo's?

BlitZ
05-07-2007, 04:35 PM

they only made 200 in the uk... that why its sold out and couln't apply for the discount..

however ozhonda memebers could arrange a group buy for it

BlitZ
05-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Also why no Brembo's?

Brembos were designed for race cars... not for posers

qstoria
05-07-2007, 04:57 PM
why no LSD is a big thing? i will be interested to hear what they have to say on that one.

weight also? but then it starts to raise the whole "is it a real type R" debate as it has various comfort additions that could have been left out to save weight therefore making it go harder but at the expense of selling a few more or less. maybe they are concerned "Who" buys the car as well...

look forward to seeing the answers

aaronng
05-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Also why no Brembo's?

Do you know if the Golf GTI has Brembos?

aaronng
05-07-2007, 04:59 PM
they only made 200 in the uk... that why its sold out and couln't apply for the discount..

however ozhonda memebers could arrange a group buy for it

???? The Type R is in the regular lineup in UK.

aaronng
05-07-2007, 05:02 PM
why no LSD is a big thing? i will be interested to hear what they have to say on that one.

weight also? but then it starts to raise the whole "is it a real type R" debate as it has various comfort additions that could have been left out to save weight therefore making it go harder but at the expense of selling a few more or less. maybe they are concerned "Who" buys the car as well...

look forward to seeing the answers

In the UK, the Type R (along with the EP3) is considered a hot hatch. They are not hung up on the "Type R legacy" BS. If a car is fast and handles good, it is a fast and good handling car even without a Type R badge on it. If Honda released the JDM CTR over here, but with 147kW, no LSD and no Brembos, all the members here and on the other Honda forums will still bag it out for being a fake Type R and even moreso with 4 doors. One of the main reasons why everyone here LOVES THE JDM CTR SO MUCH is because we can't get it. LOL.

Everyone loved the EP3 before and now that it is compliable, not many people want one.

yourfather
05-07-2007, 05:08 PM
id love an Ep3, but i'd prefer a deposit on a house. hence i'll keep the DC2

T-onedc2
05-07-2007, 07:24 PM
ask them whats the reason for the limited amount of colours. or will they be new colours few years on. most people would probably want white.
Type R's have always only been available in limited colours for good reason, they suit the R theme, and the blue never looked right in DC5R guise IMO.

aaronng
05-07-2007, 07:32 PM
It's started. I've asked them why isn't the CTR available in championship white.

aaronng
05-07-2007, 07:39 PM
They answered my first question:

15. aaron33 asks:
Hi. Thank you for finally bringing in the Civic Type R into Australia. I guess the first question that many people will ask is, why isn't the car available in the signature Type R colour, Championship White?

Matthew Nichol answers:
Yes the Championship white is considered the signature colour of the Type R. Unfortunately the UK factory is not producing this model in championship white. The reason is that white is not a very popular colour in Europe because in snowy conditions the white car becomes invisible.

slipangle
05-07-2007, 07:41 PM
hmmm... having trouble registering. I keep getting an empty email when it asks me to activate.

Could someone please post the following q's;

- What were the defining points which led to the decision to implement VSA instead of an LSD? and how are they largely different in performance terms as I understand it VSA will brake a spinning wheel whereas an LSD will apportion drive to the wheel with traction instead. In your opinion, does the (braking) VSA system limit the ability for the new car to aid the rear to work with the car in cornering as much as the use of an LSD? Please elaborate!.

- What were the main points of consideration when adopting a torsion beam rear suspension setup? Is this just a case of trying to make the best of what you've got to work with?

- what does Honda Australia know about the type of people who have previously bought Type R cars and do you think there is a distinct difference between people who drive those cars and the people that will buy the new car?

- do you believe there is a case for the Japanese car and if not, what do you believe are the limitations with offering this model to Australian buyers? In addition to this, does HA have any thoughts on what specific outcomes that may prevail from the current free trade talks with Japan which may serve as an opportunity to consider some Japanese market cars in to Australia (particularly the Japanese Civic Type R!)

- Given the limitations due to the inheritance of the family car body to work worth, what particular Type R detailed modifications were made to lower the weight and reduce the centre of gravity, keeping in mind, most Type R enthusiasts drool over detail things like lowering of seat heights and deletion of vanity mirrors!. Which aspects of the car do you see as major contributors of excess weight?

- Has the front and rear skirt been wind tunnel tested? and if so, what results do they produce?

- How does Honda Australia gauge the discontent that seems to be swelling relating to a feeling that the Japanese car is a preferred option within a not insignificant group of Honda enthusiasts? Do you acknowledge that this is the case, and how does this effect your future decision making?

Thanks

aaronng
05-07-2007, 07:42 PM
Damn, this is sad:

18. Wazza asks:
In your opinion, does the exclusion of an LSD and inclusion of torsion beam rear suspension remove this car from the Type R heritage?

Mark Higgins answers:
Absolutely not! The Civic type R handles beautifully. And the VSA more then makes up for the LSD.

T-onedc2
05-07-2007, 07:43 PM
yeh I saw that, some of the responses are interesting.

aaronng
05-07-2007, 07:45 PM
- What were the main points of consideration when adopting a torsion beam rear suspension setup? Is this just a case of trying to make the best of what you've got to work with?

You'll have to ask Honda UK that instead. The Civic hatch was designed with a torsion beam to maximise boot space in the base model. Since the Type R is a souped up version of that Civic, it gets a torsion beam as well.

aaronng
05-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Anyway, this answers your question partially:

23. T-mobile asks:
Why was rear suspension kept as torsion bar rather than IRS?

Peter McDowell answers:
Rear torsion bar was kept because it's simple, strong and effective. Honda could have developed IRS however it would have added dramatically to the cost without a dramatic improvement.

aaronng
05-07-2007, 07:47 PM
19" rims question:

29. mb1120 asks:
Why does Honda Aus stop 19" Wheels ? when the type R GT in UK is released with them as optional ?

Matthew Nichol answers:
Australian Design Regulations require us to certify even wheels that are optional. In order for us to take a bigger accessory wheel we would have to certify both the 18" and 19" wheels. This was not feasible for this market unfortunately.

itr025
05-07-2007, 07:50 PM
It is full of sh!t. They try to claim the car has no torque steer so doesn't need LSD. And also that it has VSA so doesn't need a LSD... FFS

Wazza
05-07-2007, 07:50 PM
My first question of the night involved the ''third gear problem''

20 minutes later no answer...

aaronng
05-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Brembos:

39. aaron33 asks:
With the previous generations of Type Rs, everyone was always asking, where are the Brembo brake calipers? How is the stopping power of the new Type R and are the brake pads more aggressive than the previous Australian Integra Type R?
Peter McDowell answers:
The stopping power is very strong with a firm race weighted pedal. Brembos were not available for this car, even so we did not feel that they would be necessary.

itr025
05-07-2007, 07:58 PM
They only choose to answer useless/convenient questons.

Like the Brembo one you quoted. "we did not feel that they would be necessary"... no sh!t when are they ever NECESSARY? Besides like they ever had a say in the matter.

T-onedc2
05-07-2007, 08:05 PM
HAHA!

58. 1kmodem asks:
There was a clip on Topgear I think it was where Tiff Needles was in a CTR and took on a CBR1000RR on the track, he made it look pretty fast. Do you really think a CTR can overtake a Fireblade on a track? like Tiff does
Mark Higgins answers:
Both are wonderful Honda products and overly a lap both the car and the bike will have advantages and disadvantages over each other.

aaronng
05-07-2007, 08:06 PM
It is full of sh!t. They try to claim the car has no torque steer so doesn't need LSD. And also that it has VSA so doesn't need a LSD... FFS
If the Euro doesn't torque steer with VSA off, then the CTR won't as well, assuming that the CTR's suspension is well sorted. :)

T-onedc2
05-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Interesting:

64. truman asks:
Does the vehicle come with Front strut brace as standard?
Peter McDowell answers:
Nope, no strut brace, the body shell is stiff enough not to really need one.

Wazza
05-07-2007, 08:08 PM
They only choose to answer useless/convenient questons.

Exactly!!!!

''Ask the Experts''

45. annie asks:
since it's release, has there been any reported problems by customers?
Mark Higgins answers:
No.

UK Civic Type R Forum

http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/styles/FN2/imageset/icon_post_target.gif (http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1626090#p1626090)by dphyams (http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=30557) on Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:23 pm
HONDA UK UPDATE....
I've just had a call back from Honda UK regarding this and apparently the problem is due to the 3rd gear carbon rod fracturing. They say (as they would) this is only a problem with a very limited number and hope to have a fix in 3-4 weeks.
At least they're admitting there's a problem without any fuss....I'd suggest giving them a call asap if you're having a problem rather than speaking to your dealer.
Honda UK Customer Services: 01753 590760
They have also offered me either a free service or £400 of accessories!!!!! Sweeeetttt!!! http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/thumb.gif

UK Civic Type R Forum again...

http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/styles/FN2/imageset/icon_post_target.gif (http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1626274#p1626274)by ahmefd1 (http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=29227) on Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:44 am
Hi i just called Honda UK and they told me the exact same thing. Something to do with Carbon rod that sits on the gear splits and comes away. They are currently doing a durability test on a different material. Said they will know in 3-4 weeks if test has been successful. By the way all they would offer me was a free service.

aaronng
05-07-2007, 08:09 PM
LOL. Looks like they consulted ricers.

65. bob_a_job asks:
i downloaded the type r kit on the website and it said that they 'consulted' with enthusiasts before develping the type r. is this true or marketing crap?

Matthew Nichol answers:
Yes this is true. Features like the starter button, the VTEC light and the shift change lights were all added after talking to enthusiasts.

itr025
05-07-2007, 08:16 PM
If the Euro doesn't torque steer with VSA off, then the CTR won't as well, assuming that the CTR's suspension is well sorted. :)

With such 'improved' torque at low revs to the K20 in this car, you seriously expect decent suspension tuning alone will eliminate torque steer... righto.

Also the Euro is a totally different car. Power delivery will be nowhere near as frantic and gearing won't be as short.

itr025
05-07-2007, 08:17 PM
80. F1 Man asks:
What do the F1 drivers think of the ctr?
Mark Higgins answers:
They love it.

W T F...

Wazza
05-07-2007, 08:18 PM
LOL. Looks like they consulted ricers.

65. bob_a_job asks:
i downloaded the type r kit on the website and it said that they 'consulted' with enthusiasts before develping the type r. is this true or marketing crap?

Matthew Nichol answers:
Yes this is true. Features like the starter button, the VTEC light and the shift change lights were all added after talking to enthusiasts.

Funnily enough I have actually talked to one of the ''enthusiasts'' that they consulted when building the new Type R. He is the site administrator on the Civic Type R forum in the UK. Have a read of the ''Type R Kit'' on the Aus website, in the last few pages it is outlined with interviews.

slipangle
05-07-2007, 08:18 PM
hmmm... having trouble registering. I keep getting an empty email when it asks me to activate.

Could someone please post the following q's;

- What were the defining points which led to the decision to implement VSA instead of an LSD? and how are they largely different in performance terms as I understand it VSA will brake a spinning wheel whereas an LSD will apportion drive to the wheel with traction instead. In your opinion, does the (braking) VSA system limit the ability for the new car to aid the rear to work with the car in cornering as much as the use of an LSD? Please elaborate!.

- what does Honda Australia know about the type of people who have previously bought Type R cars and do you think there is a distinct difference between people who drive those cars and the people that will buy the new car?

- do you believe there is a case for the Japanese car and if not, what do you believe are the limitations with offering this model to Australian buyers? In addition to this, does HA have any thoughts on what specific outcomes that may prevail from the current free trade talks with Japan which may serve as an opportunity to consider some Japanese market cars in to Australia (particularly the Japanese Civic Type R!)

- Given the limitations due to the inheritance of the family car body to work worth, what particular Type R detailed modifications were made to lower the weight and reduce the centre of gravity, keeping in mind, most Type R enthusiasts drool over detail things like lowering of seat heights and deletion of vanity mirrors!. Which aspects of the car do you see as major contributors of excess weight?

- Has the front and rear skirt been wind tunnel tested? and if so, what results do they produce?

- How does Honda Australia gauge the discontent that seems to be swelling relating to a feeling that the Japanese car is a preferred option within a not insignificant group of Honda enthusiasts? Do you acknowledge that this is the case, and how does this effect your future decision making?

Thanks

Can I ask whether anyone has submitted my q's?

Wazza
05-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Can someone please ask about the ''third gear problem'' again, they are still yet to give me an answer..

aaronng
05-07-2007, 08:32 PM
With such 'improved' torque at low revs to the K20 in this car, you seriously expect decent suspension tuning alone will eliminate torque steer... righto.

Also the Euro is a totally different car. Power delivery will be nowhere near as frantic and gearing won't be as short.

Anyway, you do know that the LSD causes torque steer, right?

itr025
05-07-2007, 08:33 PM
Can someone please ask about the ''third gear problem'' again, they are still yet to give me an answer..

It's in the too hard basket I bet. Plus, no suprises, they are just trying to talk up the product they're selling. Definitely nothing there for enthusiasts.

"I suggest you hurry to your nearest dealer to avoid disappointment"....
"They're selling fast" ...

Wazza
05-07-2007, 08:48 PM
I can safely say that the session made me more frustrated than anything else

itr025
05-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Anyway, you do know that the LSD causes torque steer, right?

Any torque steer induced by the LSD has never bothered me before. Even if it did, it'd be heavily offset by benefits in increased traction around a corner. Spinning the inside wheel does nothing for understeer.

There happens to be a LSD in the FD2, (JDM) EP3, DC5R, DC2R and EK9. The fact this one doesn't tells me it's a cost cutting measure as with the UK EP3.

itr025
05-07-2007, 08:51 PM
I can safely say that the session made me more frustrated than anything else

Agreed. As with Honda Australia in general, they market to the lowest common denominator (I'm not saying it's not good business practice).

Wazza
05-07-2007, 08:56 PM
As we used our email addresses to sign up to the forum, hopefully the experts will be able to email us the answers to the questions we asked which were not suitable for the forum....

aaronng
05-07-2007, 08:57 PM
For those who want to read the entire log:

http://aaronng.ozhonda.com/temp/Honda%20Australia%20forum.txt

aaronng
05-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Any torque steer induced by the LSD has never bothered me before. Even if it did, it'd be heavily offset by benefits in increased traction around a corner. Spinning the inside wheel does nothing for understeer.

There happens to be a LSD in the FD2, (JDM) EP3, DC5R, DC2R and EK9. The fact this one doesn't tells me it's a cost cutting measure as with the UK EP3.

Those are track cars. The UK CTR is a hot hatch. Not a track car. If you plan to bring an FN2 to the track, then yes, complain about the lack of an LSD. But if you were planning to bring the FN2 to the track, you'd just get worse times than your DC2R as the DC2R (and EK9, EP3, DC5R, FD2) was developed for the track unlike the FN2. Think about it, Honda Japan took the EP3 from UK previously. Why are they not taking the FN2 this time and instead chose to develop their own Type R? The FN2 was not track-orientated enough for their requirements.

itr025
05-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Those are track cars. The UK CTR is a hot hatch. Not a track car. If you plan to bring an FN2 to the track, then yes, complain about the lack of an LSD. But if you were planning to bring the FN2 to the track, you'd just get worse times than your DC2R as the DC2R (and EK9, EP3, DC5R, FD2) was developed for the track unlike the FN2. Think about it, Honda Japan took the EP3 from UK previously. Why are they not taking the FN2 this time and instead chose to develop their own Type R? The FN2 was not track-orientated enough for their requirements.

Yeah and Type R stands for...? *sigh*.

Again we have another car which dilutes the Type R name which those excellent engineers at Honda JP built up.

aaronng
05-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Yeah and Type R stands for...? *sigh*.

Again we have another car which dilutes the Type R name which those excellent engineers at Honda JP built up.

You have to remember when in the UK everyone moves, thinks and acts slower. So to them, revving above 4000rpm means RACING! You'd scare the ladies plodding along if you ever dared to go full throttle.:)

BlitZ
05-07-2007, 10:01 PM
id love an Ep3, but i'd prefer a deposit on a house. hence i'll keep the DC2

same here... if it sat in the price range where it suppose to be and not over priced by importers id swap my liver for one.

it should be priced about 20k by relativity

dc2itr
05-07-2007, 10:55 PM
same here... if it sat in the price range where it suppose to be and not over priced by importers id swap my liver for one.

it should be priced about 20k by relativity

I got my $20K ready hehe.....

FOr how hevy it is I'm surprised it hits 100km/h in as quick as it does. Went checked one out couple days ago and despite its softer positioning, still a damn nice car.....

bring back CW!!!!!!

yourfather
05-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Bring back championship white

Hullabaloo
06-07-2007, 10:06 AM
50. Wazza asks:
The JDM Type R Civic mentioned previously produces far superior power than the UKDM Type R and yet they both use the K20 block. Is the exclusion of the JDM engine in the UK and AUS Type R's purely a case of our poor quality fuel?
Peter McDowell answers:
Essentialy it's the same engine. The spec change is largely due to our reduced (in comparison to Japan) fuel RON spec. Our premium fuel as you probably know is 95. 98 is available here and there, but we must always work to 95. This requires a reduced compression ratio, and retuning the ECU. We all hope fuel will improve somtime in the future.

yet the golf gti recommends 98 RON

Hullabaloo
06-07-2007, 10:09 AM
also interesting how they mention honda philosophy (i'm not saying the car should have a turbo or Mark's answer here is wrong):

104. Neo asks:
A couple of UK mags said the CTR is underpowered - why no turbo?
Mark Higgins answers:
It's not part of the type R philosophy.

yet a lot of people here would think real type r philosphy includes things like brembros, light(er) weight, thinner windscreen... <-- was that question asked? i couldn't see in in the transcript.

aaronng
06-07-2007, 11:51 AM
50. Wazza asks:
The JDM Type R Civic mentioned previously produces far superior power than the UKDM Type R and yet they both use the K20 block. Is the exclusion of the JDM engine in the UK and AUS Type R's purely a case of our poor quality fuel?
Peter McDowell answers:
Essentialy it's the same engine. The spec change is largely due to our reduced (in comparison to Japan) fuel RON spec. Our premium fuel as you probably know is 95. 98 is available here and there, but we must always work to 95. This requires a reduced compression ratio, and retuning the ECU. We all hope fuel will improve somtime in the future.

yet the golf gti recommends 98 RON
I think it's Honda Australia's decision to make all their vehicles require at most 95 RON. Nothing is stopping them for going for 98, but I guess someone higher up disagrees with that.

aaronng
06-07-2007, 11:52 AM
also interesting how they mention honda philosophy (i'm not saying the car should have a turbo or Mark's answer here is wrong):

104. Neo asks:
A couple of UK mags said the CTR is underpowered - why no turbo?
Mark Higgins answers:
It's not part of the type R philosophy.

yet a lot of people here would think real type r philosphy includes things like brembros, light(er) weight, thinner windscreen... <-- was that question asked? i could see in on the script.

In this case, the DC2R wouldn't be classified as a Type R since it never got Brembos. :p

Hullabaloo
06-07-2007, 12:44 PM
In this case, the DC2R wouldn't be classified as a Type R since it never got Brembos. :p

good point...

Pumped
06-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Matthew Nichol answers:
Yes the Championship white is considered the signature colour of the Type R. Unfortunately the UK factory is not producing this model in championship white. The reason is that white is not a very popular colour in Europe because in snowy conditions the white car becomes invisible.

So thats how they made the aston martin seem invisible in bond!

blk_shadow
07-07-2007, 02:25 AM
So thats how they made the aston martin seem invisible in bond!

that excuse sounded really lame to me. the car seems invisible....what about the other white cars then??

I don't know what the cop car's colour there, or the ambulance too.

Tofu
07-07-2007, 04:26 AM
i can't believe how much of a robot these Honda guys sound...lol
"You better order one now if you want one or you will miss out!"....rofl
typical

D4rk4n63l
07-07-2007, 07:28 AM
they maybe have a script ready before hand or maybe the corporate had guns on their head during the session.. :p

maybe we should point them to this thread instead..

Drew
07-07-2007, 10:30 AM
After all that I would feel like a complete bastard buying it

Just get friends to import shit for you from Japan/New Zealand

BlitZ
07-07-2007, 12:31 PM

yeah but the car is 10xxkgs ...

the brakes are classisifed big in the era (1996)

its like saying the b16a isnt a good engine . But in 1989 the power it was making was unheard of from a street mass produce 1.6ltr

fasthonda
07-07-2007, 03:33 PM
As with ALL car manufacturers they will say the products they produce have come about by applying the "best" decisions ----well,according to them anyway and Honda is no exception.
The forum was a good idea but,it seemed like the experts were really pushing the idea that Honda has produced the perfect hot hatch.Honda may have come up with a very good or indeed a great hot hatch but we cannot expect the experts to say anything negative about the CTR.
Listening to them,the CTR has the ideal engine,brakes,suspension,tyres,colour options etc,etc....and oh! ,I forgot,"You better hurry to your dealer, they're running out fast"
Maybe the philosophy of the Type R has been hijacked by the marketing/sales department at Honda.

blk_shadow
07-07-2007, 11:03 PM
After all that I would feel like a complete bastard buying it

Just get friends to import shit for you from Japan/New Zealand

I guess that is not a wrong thing to like this type r, everyone has different taste, otherwise it would be a damn boring world to live in.

yourfather
08-07-2007, 02:18 AM
i can't believe how much of a robot these Honda guys sound...lol
"You better order one now if you want one or you will miss out!"....rofl
typical

they must be net mechanics

blk_shadow
08-07-2007, 10:43 PM
like ASIMO hahahaah...

Tofu
09-07-2007, 05:51 PM
if they think pulling an attempt like this would increase their sales i think they are sadly mistaken...what a joke

aaronng
09-07-2007, 06:22 PM
if they think pulling an attempt like this would increase their sales i think they are sadly mistaken...what a joke

They don't need to do this to increase sales since the number of CTRs available are limited.

Drew
09-07-2007, 06:50 PM
I guess that is not a wrong thing to like this type r, everyone has different taste, otherwise it would be a damn boring world to live in.

I have no idea what the **** you just said...

I love the look of the car; but getting a watered down, and not just a little bit but rather REALLY watered down version of whats available elsewhere just feels wrong...

blk_shadow
09-07-2007, 07:14 PM
I have no idea what the **** you just said...

I love the look of the car; but getting a watered down, and not just a little bit but rather REALLY watered down version of whats available elsewhere just feels wrong...

well, this is the only R at the moment to be able to buy.

what the **** is wrong by saying everyone got different taste, and if someone wants to buy it, and thats their own bloody CHOICE
I know its really watered down. I will buy it if I want to, and upgrade it with mods. I will follow what I like not what THEY like.

UNLS1
09-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Brembos were designed for race cars... not for posers

thats comment of the year!

why the hell does a car with 147kws need brembos anyway?
why? coz so many posers want them.

Try stopping a heaver car with at least 300kw, then it would be worth havin brembos!

aaronng
09-07-2007, 08:51 PM
I LOL with all those saying this CTR is watered down. It's not watered down. If we got the JDM CTR and it had only 148kW, no LSD and no Brembos, then that would be watered down!

dimsum
10-07-2007, 12:31 AM
Let me ask a question. How many of you will buy/consider buying a BRAND NEW CIVIC TYPE-R from a Honda Dealer(not 2nd hand)?

aaronng
10-07-2007, 01:16 AM
Let me ask a question. How many of you will buy/consider buying a BRAND NEW CIVIC TYPE-R from a Honda Dealer(not 2nd hand)?

I bought my Honda brand new. :)

57UDD
10-07-2007, 04:02 AM
i've bought a FN2 CTR

BlitZ
10-07-2007, 06:38 PM

honestly speaking, i was ready for the purchase..
My love for honda and the R badge is ever strong..

I could seriously say it was really in consideration before it came out. I was over the moon when i knew it was coming... but then when i got to the specs, i rather keep my em1 over spending the extra dollars on the new car in which I reckon needs further enchancements to make it the trackable beast the R should be.

If i was to buy a new honda, especially an R i would want it to suit my desires. I want a car which lives up to the honda type r marque.

The definition of the Type r as explained on WIKI:
The design of Type R ("R" for "Racing") models was originally focused on race conditions, with an emphasis on minimizing weight, and maximizing performance potential (e.g. engine tuning, suspension set-up, etc). Thus, Type R models were first conceived for racetracks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racetrack).

I would rather spend my money elsewhere now. I am not deterred or wanting to buy another car. But if this to my opinion lived up to the mark i would have layed the deposite down without hesitation...

and yes Im for real... and yes, im not 16 and can afford one

DreadAngel
10-07-2007, 06:40 PM
Change the R to an S and we'll be fine :)

Anyway talking to Experts is turning out more like a PR session than anything else, no different to when Honda held a news conference with the world's media.

It may not have Brembos, it may not have LSD, it may be as heavy as a cow, may not be as fast as the JDM Sedan CTR but its still a "Civic Type-R" and that is all that concerns Honda Australia. As long as they can jump on the Type R paddywagon like the rest of the world then its all good. If Japan came out with the 4Dr CTR before the Hatch came out, maybe a different story but maybe not, cost maybe too much for Honda Australia to consider and we'll probably get a watered down version anyway as usual.

6. T-mobile asks:
Love the look of the car, seriously considering purchase soon.
Mark Higgins answers:
There going fast so race in to your local dealer to secure yours!

Experts in cars, not in English :p

16. 1kmodem asks:
Japan has released a 4door Sedan Civic Type which looks AWESOME! do you think it will be released in Australia? if not I strongly suggest it!
Mark Higgins answers:
Thanks for your suggestion. At the moment it's a Japanese domestic model only.

There you have it, Japan keeps the best to herself...

mr173
11-07-2007, 03:13 AM
honestly speaking, i was ready for the purchase..
My love for honda and the R badge is ever strong..

I could seriously say it was really in consideration before it came out. I was over the moon when i knew it was coming... but then when i got to the specs, i rather keep my em1 over spending the extra dollars on the new car in which I reckon needs further enchancements to make it the trackable beast the R should be.

If i was to buy a new honda, especially an R i would want it to suit my desires. I want a car which lives up to the honda type r marque.

The definition of the Type r as explained on WIKI:
The design of Type R ("R" for "Racing") models was originally focused on race conditions, with an emphasis on minimizing weight, and maximizing performance potential (e.g. engine tuning, suspension set-up, etc). Thus, Type R models were first conceived for racetracks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racetrack).

I would rather spend my money elsewhere now. I am not deterred or wanting to buy another car. But if this to my opinion lived up to the mark i would have layed the deposite down without hesitation...

and yes Im for real... and yes, im not 16 and can afford one

Yes, Totally agreed, same as here, I've already spended the money that was planned for the new Type R ~A$40k to "re-furbrish" my old EK4 again to make it a become a "Ture" Race Focused NA Street/Track Car
If I want the New UK CTR to perform as my finished EK4, I think I need another $30,000 on top of New UK CTR drive away price.

blk_shadow
11-07-2007, 08:00 AM
Yes, Totally agreed, same as here, I've already spended the money that was planned for the new Type R ~A$40k to "re-furbrish" my old EK4 again to make it a become a "Ture" Race Focused NA Street/Track Car
If I want the New UK CTR to perform as my finished EK4, I think I need another $30,000 on top of New UK CTR drive away price.

WOW...what have u done to ur EK4?:p:p

BlitZ
11-07-2007, 09:54 AM

just wack in a k20 with LSD, hondata, coilovers, asr +22mm rear sway, upgrade urathane bushings..... the ek would run rings around the boat around any track or road..

blk_shadow
11-07-2007, 10:12 AM
just wack in a k20 with LSD, hondata, coilovers, asr +22mm rear sway, upgrade urathane bushings..... the ek would run rings around the boat around any track or road..

thats sweet..!! I'll buy your EK rather than th new type r

mr173
11-07-2007, 12:25 PM

Engine: 2.15l Dart's tall block running bore 85mm x storke 95mm with light weight crank & light weight rods, stainless steel valve, oil cooler from US and the rest all finished with Toda's parts e.g. SPL piston, valve trains, flywheel, mainfold etc. head port by Toda Adrian
ECU & intake: Hondata with quad throttle and custom enclosed CAI
Trans: Toda close ratio 1st & 2nd & lower final drive, quaift LSD
Suspension & brake: Fightex DA, f&r 5lug conversion with spoon 4 pot
Also will get some super low Type R seats, CF bonnet, titanium exhaust, forged light weight wheels and semi slick etc
Will respray all panel after all mechcanical work

Nearly everything supply and install by Adrian from Toda Performance,
Thank You Adrian, I know I'm a bit picky, but I just want to building my own "Civic Type RR":p.
Hope I can get my car soon! :wave:

better not to spam the thread, later when the car is finished I will post more detail in this foum.

The point is I'm a ture hardcore with Honda and the Type R from owning my EK 10yrs ago. I was considering the UK CTR or keep doing up my ek once I know they may come to OZ. after I look at it's spec. like engine, brake, trasmission, "overall shape" and "WEIGHT". Then I found that, it is a very good looking hot hatch but it is not the Civic Type R that I hope for, very disappointed :eek:. If there is a JDM civic type R or RR, sure I can afford and I will buy.

At least my EK still share the same blood with the EK9, the ture successor of CTR.:honda:

Tofu
12-07-2007, 12:58 AM
hmm...i wonder if they will reach their target of 1200 CTR sold in a financial year...
come to think of it, if the do achieve this, then it would make CTR "non-unique"
the DC5s didn't sell that much in a year..and they seem like they are everywhere already...lol

EK4R
12-07-2007, 01:36 AM
hmm...i wonder if they will reach their target of 1200 CTR sold in a financial year...
come to think of it, if the do achieve this, then it would make CTR "non-unique"
the DC5s didn't sell that much in a year..and they seem like they are everywhere already...lol

well think of it this way.

if they do sell that much, then HONDA AUS will hopefully bring in more CTRs in the future and keep the tradition alive. and pray in the future comes the JDM spec :thumbsup:

Tofu
12-07-2007, 09:17 AM

if they do sell that much, then HONDA AUS will hopefully bring in more CTRs in the future and keep the tradition alive. and pray in the future comes the JDM spec :thumbsup:

hmm...that's more optomistic than selling the 1200 CTR in one year...:eek::eek: but i like your thinking! whatever it takes to bring in the JDM CTR...so people, buy up!

EL_DC5
12-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Not a fan of the new CTR. the R in this car is for Race Look

blk_shadow
12-07-2007, 11:06 AM

DEFINITELY:thumbsup: