PDA

View Full Version : Thermo - Ecu - Idle

Zilli
05-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Hey all,

Ive got the dreaded Thermo issue specified in the sticky... its always running cold, and im just trying to find the time to get out there and buy the part at the moment.

What i wanted to know is if the ecu has any link to the temp sensor in so much as setting the idle of the motor. Ive noticed that after a period of driving without any throttle (which im doing TOO much of lately, old age) the temp goes right down, and when i stop the cars idling at 1k. Im thinking maybe the ecu is thinking the car is still in warmup made so is setting the idle higher than normal. Is this a plausible idea?

Also, is this causing my motor any damage, i am quite careful about how much stick i give it unless the guage is showing normal "warm" temp readding, but are there any adverse effects?

bennjamin
05-07-2007, 09:53 AM
just replace your thermostat and get on with life with a normal operating car :)

Zilli
05-07-2007, 10:31 AM
thanks Ben, but you didnt give an answer to my questions, i know that i need to change the thermo, im just interested in learning more, can you help?

bennjamin
05-07-2007, 10:51 AM
yes , it does adjust the idle to suit the coolant temp.
Cold = fast idle until the engine warms up. Since your thermo is stuck OPEN the coolant never reaches proper working temp , and will be stuck on idle. Dont rev out your car as you probably wont have vtec either :)

Zilli
05-07-2007, 11:29 AM
vtec is there, but i use it VERY sparingly!

thanks champ, i thought the ECU would adjust for that

aaronng
05-07-2007, 11:44 AM
There is also a DIY on thermo replacement if you want to do it yourself.

dudeling7
05-07-2007, 12:11 PM
yeh sounds like your thermostat. its fairly easy to change jsut make sure the engine is fairly cool haha.

if you want to have less mess then drain the coolant first, if you are lazy you can do it with the coolant still in then top it up afterwards.

all you have to do is locate the thermostat housing and unscrew maybe 3 bolts, its pretty tight space inthere so take off your intake for more room.

then once its out, replace the thermostat in the correct positionand put it all back together. refill or topup your coolant and turn the car on and wait till the fan comes on. if you go for a drive now if insalled correctly then the temperature should stay fairly constant.

Zilli
05-07-2007, 02:02 PM
yeh im gonna slap one in myself, not a big job

im thinking of getting a Mugen one from Yonas, but im not gonna do the switch at the same time... will this have an adverse effect?

aaronng
05-07-2007, 03:38 PM
yeh im gonna slap one in myself, not a big job

im thinking of getting a Mugen one from Yonas, but im not gonna do the switch at the same time... will this have an adverse effect?

The mugen one opens at a lower temperature. So you will have a similar "cold engine" effect (but not as bad as your faulty thermo) if your car is street-driven.

Zilli
05-07-2007, 08:22 PM
will do champ! i got the week off next week so i might go and get the part and do it