PDA

View Full Version : forced induction (AGAIN!!!)

Nervegas
13-07-2004, 02:33 PM
You've all probably heard this topic before however i'm looking at supercharging my lil accord instead. Over the last few months i've been digging around yards/wreckers for h22a's manual for my accord '95 however they say that a man h22a '95+ is hard to come by these days. Thus moving onto 'charging the stock f22b [acronym:2b54b4f99a="Single Overhead Cam"]SOHC[/acronym:2b54b4f99a] non-Vtec (**sniff, sniff**. i know i'm missing out on the vtec fun of honda's) And after looking at turbo charging felt that wasn't a good idea as it probably wouldn't be able to take teh compression without some serious engine modding. So what this is all getting to (finally says everyone) is there thoughts on supercharging a 4cyc car and advantages/disadvantages (not including power as i know the supers only produce @ most 50% power in comparison to turbos) keeping in mind that i wanted something orignal (now com'on who else has a supercharged accord here) and keep it as a daily driver.
Thanks for your time
Travis

poid
13-07-2004, 02:42 PM
if it cant take the compression of a turbo, why would they take the compression of a supercharger? ;)

The F series loves boost, dont worry about that!!

Advantages: linear, predictable power delivery, dont have to run oil/water lines, less common than turbo

Disadvantages: doesnt make as much power as turbo, adds a lot of drag on the crank, generates lots of heat, cant just change the boost with the flick of a switch like a turbo etc etc

Note i didnt mention lag above...i dont think that the lag difference between a turbo or supercharger on a street setup will be significant

urtwhistle
13-07-2004, 03:56 PM
hey why not super charge a 4 cylinder. can any 1 remember the old corolers i think they were 4agze they were super charged. hell i got a video of 1 drift racing. it goes pretty sweet for a rolla.

my first car was mazda capella desial super charged 4 cylinder front wheel drive.
that was great even if it was desial. i have never driven a 4 cyl with soo much torque down low as the old mazzy.

my belief is that if that went good y not a petrol super charged.

also reminds me i still got the spare engine and super charger in the shed *ponders to self*

chris

poid
13-07-2004, 04:53 PM
the main reason is what i have stated, the belt robs engine power and when you dont have much of it to start with its not a good thing. However, turbos use wasted energy to create the extra power.

Nervegas
13-07-2004, 05:10 PM
generates heat??? supers would generate bugger all heat cause it's not run by the exhuast fumes or so i thought. i do agree with urtwhistle though the 4agze is an exellent example of a 4 cyc supercharged engine (too much initial d 4 u though :) ) over all i'm just looking at something different for a honda i suppose rather then turbo it. ah well it's just something to research into more and what i want the end result to be i suppose.
Thanks for your time
Travis

poid
13-07-2004, 05:42 PM
superchargers are less efficient than the turbos one would use for a low boost Honda, and will generate more heat in general despite the fact that turbos run on exhaust gases. Most of the heat is caused by the compression in a turbo setup, but because they are more efficient the amount of heat generated is less than what a supercharger would generate

urtwhistle
15-07-2004, 12:51 PM
but u gotta remember that super chargers sound soo much better. and u know how much more important that is

poid
15-07-2004, 01:04 PM
thats personal preference, i much the prefer the sound of a spooling ball-bearing turbo :)

bumthology
18-07-2004, 08:26 AM
Its 7am..
i'm really bored, so i've come up with some cheaper alternatives for forced induction, if u cant afford turbo =D

urtwhistle
18-07-2004, 03:15 PM
and if u had a realy small engine u could use a old dustbuster lol