PDA

View Full Version : Alpine head unit acts like its possessed!

Alpine
08-07-2007, 09:30 PM
I have an old Alpine TDM7534E head unit which has worked flawlessly in my Civic for over 10 years...until this morning.

It acts like it's possessed. Sometimes none of the buttons (eg volume, track change, etc) work whatsoever. The CD that is playing from the 6-CD stacker skips or fast forwards or rewinds tracks, restarts the track, seems to lock up, etc. This also occurs with Radio, not just CD, so it doesn't seem related to the CD stacker. Even if I turn off the head unit, it will power itself back on randomly! The only way for me to keep it off is to detach the faceplate. There is no remote control unit as this died years ago.

What could be wrong? Has the head unit finally decided to call it quits after over a decade of faithful reliable service? Could it be the amp causing this weird behavior? I have looked at the fuses and they seem OK.

Any advice welcome and appreciated!!

Int3gra-T
08-07-2007, 10:13 PM
jebus u tight ass its like 200 bucks for a decent one nowadays lol
10 years. does it even have mp3? if not..
time for a new one.

destrukshn
08-07-2007, 10:41 PM
nah not amp related.
i just think it's time to buy another one.

Jon_51
09-07-2007, 10:10 AM
clean the connectors between the faceplate and deck with some metho. just an idea that might be worth a shot, but it's probably shagged.

Mattski_VTIR
18-07-2007, 04:04 PM
clean the connectors between the faceplate and deck with some metho. just an idea that might be worth a shot, but it's probably shagged.

Good idea :thumbsup:i have had headunits play up as the connecter for the removable face is junked up. Give it a light clean being careful not to bend/damage any pins. If this doesn't work might be time for an upgrade.

andiiso
18-07-2007, 08:36 PM
or if there is a reset utton or little hole where u can stick a pen in to reset, you could try that

theseven
02-08-2007, 05:35 PM
the first thing i did when i saw the first reply was loughing.... i think it's the head unit! it's time to upgrade man... if ur not running on alot of amps u can even get pioneer for 150 these days i guess...

Alpine
03-08-2007, 09:38 AM
Ended up getting a new HU. An Alpine CDE-9873E for $245 with free ipod cable and free installation. Not bad at all and shitloads clearer sound quality than the old one.

theseven
07-08-2007, 12:05 AM
haha... good to hear man,,,