PDA

View Full Version : Using VIC registration in NSW from vehicle purchase

viper8548
09-07-2007, 03:26 AM
Hi All,

I'm from Sydney and I'm interested in buying an interstate car from VIC, the car still has 10+ months on its rego in VIC, if I were to buy this car will I be able to use this in NSW until it expires or will I have to register the vehicle within a period of time after purchase?

Thanks!

kid_dynamite
09-07-2007, 10:28 AM
I can't find the exact timeframe on the RTA website atm but you're supposed to transfer it within a certain number of days (e.g. 14 days, 28 days, three months) - sorry I can't be more specific.

Follow the process here for second-hand vehicles currently or previously registered interstate:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/rego_new.html

Leprechaun
09-07-2007, 10:42 AM
my brother bought a car wit vic rego. but it had 12 mths rego on it.. and once you transfers it they said he will lose that rego, and will have to go get nsw rego.. so it can be a waste. mayb you can use this to negotiate a better deal on your possible purchase.. and you have 14 days to transfer, otherwise you requre a blue slip etc.

rhettzor
09-07-2007, 11:47 AM
You will only be able to use the Vic rego, if it is tied to a Vic residential address. Got any family/friends in Vic? Just remember all your speeding tickets will be sent there. ;)

Otherwise you're required to change it asap (3 months i think...).

kid_dynamite
09-07-2007, 11:49 AM
my brother bought a car wit vic rego. but it had 12 mths rego on it.. and once you transfers it they said he will lose that rego, and will have to go get nsw rego.. so it can be a waste.

It's not a 'waste', because once you cancel the rego in one state, you are usually entitled to a pro-rata refund for the unused portion of the registration fee.

Leprechaun
09-07-2007, 12:53 PM
It's not a 'waste', because once you cancel the rego in one state, you are usually entitled to a pro-rata refund for the unused portion of the registration fee.

are you able to get a refund on the green slip? thats the expensive part of rego

philBo
09-07-2007, 12:53 PM

correct! :thumbsup:

and from when i moved to canberra from melbourne, you had to re-register your car and change your license to that states if you have stayed there for longer than 3 months. may be different in other circumstances.

dsp26
09-07-2007, 01:00 PM
^^^all true as stated above...

only diff is you have to get it blue slipped again instead of pink slip

aaronng
09-07-2007, 01:02 PM
are you able to get a refund on the green slip? thats the expensive part of rego

Yes, just call up your greenslip provider and fax them a copy of the Plate surrender receipt if the cancellation is not yet in the database.

quangsta
12-07-2007, 06:36 PM
do you need to get RWC again in another state for instance in this case where if X buys the car from vic with rego and RWC, brings it back to NSW where he has to re rego can he use the RWC from vic or does he have to re check in his own state?? or am i totally lost?

aaronng
12-07-2007, 06:55 PM
do you need to get RWC again in another state for instance in this case where if X buys the car from vic with rego and RWC, brings it back to NSW where he has to re rego can he use the RWC from vic or does he have to re check in his own state?? or am i totally lost?

Not sure for going from VIC to NSW. But if you came from NSW to VIC, then yes you will need a new RWC.