PDA

View Full Version : IN CAR DVD FOR CIVIC, illegal or legal?

adu
10-07-2007, 01:30 PM
ey guys ..

i was wondering if an in-car dvd player was illegal or legal?

people say that it distracts the driver, so therefore its illegal. but if its illegal why do retailers like strathfield car radio's sell it?

thats why im confused and want to know if there illegal or legal.

Im planning to get one .. exactly like the picture below.

i think its about 7inch screen.. *does that matter*

thanks in advance.

misteR_bilzz
10-07-2007, 01:33 PM
its illegal when the car is on and the driver is driving as it distracts the driver..

dsp26
10-07-2007, 01:35 PM
^^^correct.

for them to be legal, the TV power has to have a relay to the handbrake (handbrake up).. same goes with turbo timers and remote start.

albii
10-07-2007, 07:17 PM
actually ,it is illegal for any tv or dvd screen to be placed anywhere near the drivers vision..that's why rear seat is ok.

Joeyboy
10-07-2007, 07:26 PM
but if its illegal why do retailers like strathfield car radio's sell it?

EXACTLY. Coz car accessories are a hot item and the govt gets 10% commission (or GST - whateva they wanna call it) on every item. its really a catch 22 situation, u buy an item and if its deemed illegal then you get busted. Be careful what u buy from auto shops coz some are illegal.

in-dash monitor that is "ON" while the car is in motion is illegal, except if being used as a rear-vision camera while backing up.

DreadAngel
10-07-2007, 07:34 PM
The Auto shops have all the fine print and disclaimers like the products we sell are for race cars, use these items on the roads at your own discresion or something like that lol, so don't blame the shop, blame yourself for not reading bwhahaha

dsp26
10-07-2007, 07:42 PM
^^all true.. that disclaimer is now on every packaging/box of any neon or led exterior rice accessory

NeoNode
10-07-2007, 09:01 PM
MOBILE PHONES/TV/VDU
Drive vehicle with TV/VDU image visible to driver* $238 + 3 points
Drive vehicle with TV/VDU image likely to distract another driver $238 only

*Increased fines and demerit points apply for these offences when commited in a school zone.

Source (http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au)

Rasputin
10-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Please note that (in NSW at least) legislation states that this is the case UNLESS the display is part of a 'driving aid' i.e. displaying information about the vehicle, for navigation etc.
i.e. this is what makes incar navigation, reverse cameras etc legal for use. And as it states 'is part of', a multi-functional system that handles dvd and gps, you might be able to use it while in motion. I think this would end up being the cause of an arguement between you and the officer, though...i'd be checking with the RTA on specifics for these kind of situations.

Luke Accord
11-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Kenwood has released a 7 inch in dash dvd that also has navigation on it so would that be legal or would you still get fined?

scyt7e
11-07-2007, 11:03 PM
^^^correct.

for them to be legal, the TV power has to have a relay to the handbrake (handbrake up).. same goes with turbo timers and remote start.

i do believe thats the case as well, had a friend who got his installed and they said you have to have that cable to the handbrake which meant u coulnt use any other function except to scroll through the menu for audio only and navigation thats it. :thumbsup: so handbrake down = no more movies etc. and i really dont think its illegal to have it in the front at all..... :eek:

Joeyboy
12-07-2007, 02:01 PM
Kenwood has released a 7 inch in dash dvd that also has navigation on it so would that be legal or would you still get fined?

if while you're driving and your TV unit is on and the main purpose is for GPS, then that would be fine, from what i understand. its only if u start playing movies on the tv. hence the reason why its not illegal to have GPS in your car.

JudyKayTee
16-09-2010, 06:25 PM
It is illegal to drive with a DVD player on in the front seat in most locations. You will receive a careless driving ticket. A careless driving ticket will send your insurance rates through the roof.

My friend has an 07 infiniti g35 sedan with the GPS/DVD system and it will play car dvd (http://www.espow.com/wholesale-car-electronics-car-dvd.html)but only when the vehicle is in park.

tiksie
16-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Yeah, AFAIK, it should only be able to play once the car is in Park or the Handbrake is up.

Sm1l3y
16-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Three year old thread is three years old.

But, one of my mates got defected for this, he said that it can be in the front as long as there is a relay to the handbrake, so like many other in this thread are saying.

mikey72
17-09-2010, 03:03 PM
easiest way to bypass this is to have a selector switch coming from the handbrake switch wire, one way running to the hand brake relay and the other way running to a common earth. if you get pulled over by old mate, just switch it over to hand brake. of course dont just have this switch out for everyone to see, make it stealth.

act_gooner
17-09-2010, 03:47 PM
What if you are just playing a cd while driving? Is that still illegal? Because I hardly ever play DVD's on mine, can't figure out how to burn videos onto a dvd and have it actually work.

tylerjames
20-09-2010, 08:13 PM
I had a 7inch double din JVC touch in my Ford Explorer, was never relayed to handbrake or anything, but I never played movies so, didn't really matter.
nether the less, I always had it on playing music. never had any problems from anyone.

doubt you can get fines for it, just say you've got it set for GPS or whatever.
most new model cars come out with this sorta thing stock now anyway.

put simply, don't play dvd's while driving (stupid idea to do it anyway) and you'll be fine.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f374/tjb2590/4inside.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f374/tjb2590/kin1.jpg

(had to post pics to showoff) ;)