PDA

View Full Version : Re-fitting tyres to combat camber wear.

supersamEK
10-07-2007, 04:24 PM
At the moment I am driving on Kumho Ecsta SPT which are a symmetrical pattern tyre. The camber wear on them is horrendous all round. Before it got bad enough that i had to scrap the tyres i had an idea..

Is it possible to refit the tyres to opposite side rims so that the camber worn bit is on the outside of rim and fresher bit now on inside?
Is this bad practice? any issues? will the tyre shop do it for me?

For $50, thought would be a good idea to get few more kilometres before spending another grand on tyres.

ekhybrid
10-07-2007, 05:07 PM
yeah shouldnt be a prob
i got it done , beats having to pay $400+ for a new set haha

Drew
11-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Tried getting a camber kit?

supersamEK
11-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Tried getting a camber kit?
yeah i know, just looking for a $50 quick fix for this set of tyres.

will look into camber issue with new set.

Drew
11-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Camber kits are only around the $100-$150 mark

CTR Coupe
11-07-2007, 03:25 PM
is that for fronts or rears?

i haven't found a front kit under $250 (that gives 2deg +/-)

yourfather
11-07-2007, 03:26 PM
that really depends on if you buy shit off the traders here

supersamEK
11-07-2007, 03:31 PM
yeah its just new set of decent tyres is around 1grand... so if i can make this screwed set of tyres last longer, i can save my money a bit longer.. maybe save for the camber kit in that time lol.

those camber kits..like D2 and skunk... do they have markings on them to adjust it at home, or u need to adjust properly on wheel alignment? ive never seen one...

for front and back.

Drew
11-07-2007, 07:43 PM
is that for fronts or rears?

i haven't found a front kit under $250 (that gives 2deg +/-)
Should be able to get some for the $200 mark 4 -/+

supersamEK
11-07-2007, 07:54 PM
hook me up!

16CTEG
11-07-2007, 08:29 PM
i got some for my car $200 for front, $140 for rears! i did the cambert set up n wheel aligment myself, just for now until i get new tyres! but the camber kits allowed me to use the old tyres which would of had no use if i had the negative 2.2 degree camber i used to have! when you install the camber kits it will give you alot of toe in, so you have to adjust accordingly

bennjamin
11-07-2007, 08:51 PM
rotating tyres should be done often - every 5k would be helpful on a excessively lowered car to keep the wear even front n rear.

Also excessive TOE wears tyres quicker than just camber. So get a properly alignment and get your front n rear toe dialed in to as straight as possible to keep that wear down :)

supersamEK
11-07-2007, 09:12 PM
rotating tyres should be done often - every 5k would be helpful on a excessively lowered car to keep the wear even front n rear.

yeaqh but the camber wear will always be on the inside of all the tyres... :(. so thought refit them so the the fresher bit on inside and that can wear away and then i can afford to address camber issues.

anyway i spoke to tyre shop today. he said he do it. i just thought they would think im a dumbass and tell me to buy new tyres, hence the thread.
oh well all good now.

fatboyz39
11-07-2007, 09:19 PM
For the rear, some washers and a long bolt can be made to fix camber issues. I know it sounds dodgy but who cares it works.

Spunkymonkey
11-07-2007, 09:25 PM
I got a skunk camber kit put on the back of my car recently...fixed the 4 degrees of negative camber...would of killed my tyres...so definitely worth the investigate..didn't bother with the front cause its not too bad.

supersamEK
11-07-2007, 10:03 PM
For the rear, some washers and a long bolt can be made to fix camber issues. I know it sounds dodgy but who cares it works.
whiteline sells this for 25 bux haha. done it in a previous car once, and yep it works lol.

fatboyz39
11-07-2007, 10:49 PM
I got a skunk camber kit put on the back of my car recently...fixed the 4 degrees of negative camber...would of killed my tyres...so definitely worth the investigate..didn't bother with the front cause its not too bad.

Front camber is the one you have to fix. Rear not so much.

Spunkymonkey
12-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Front camber is the one you have to fix. Rear not so much.

yes, but front isn't too bad...rear was bad.

Mr_will
12-07-2007, 10:18 PM
the other issue you need to be aware of is, if the treadwear indicators are showing or there is any other reason that the tyres would not pass a roadworthy inspection, it is unlawful for any commercial tyre or mechanical place to refit them.

furthermore, how much do you value your life? the time your wife/girlfriend/kid/dog/whatever is in the car, its wet and you need to steer/brake/accelerate might be the next time you go driving. its not worth it just to save a few dollars, considering how much the grip will be compromised