PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Intake Problem

VtiKid
11-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Hey guys, just received my Cai but the problem is the airpod seems to big for the pipe i mean the gap is pretty big i dun think the clamp will secure it much i havent tried as ive lost my licence n dads taken the car but i was jst wondering if this has happened to anyone else or if derz a way to solve it....

it looks plastic but its light aluminium haha i noe i was like WTF till i grabbed it...
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p2/djdconner/Image049.jpg

if anyone cud help dat wud be great,
thanks

Zilli
11-07-2007, 04:54 PM
if the opening on the pod is too big then there really isnt much you can do to fix it without being really bodgy... like putting something between the fiter and the pipe,but i wouldnt risk things getting lose and going up into your intake...

call your supplier dude

VtiKid
11-07-2007, 07:17 PM
it just sux coz how can they not make the pipe big enuf for a universal pod i mean doesnt everyones pipe get smaller or bigger at the tip depending on the size to fit the air pod ?

Sydsyd
11-07-2007, 07:20 PM
i'm using 'ghetto' piping ie PVC piping...if i remember right, the piping diameter is 82mm...using K&N pod...all fit perfectly:D

if u can get 82cm metal piping from a pipe shop or maybe bathroom shops like reece etc, that should do the trick...

VtiKid
11-07-2007, 09:03 PM
ahhaah ghetto piping yeh dude but i wana make most of wat i got u noe wat im saying daawwwwggg hahahaha i need something to secure the gap wif d clamp or sumfin i want that setup, pvc piping wudnt give me the sound i want and metal piping i guess is to heavy but ill definintly keep my options open cheers bruz

dsp26
11-07-2007, 10:39 PM
get some rubber padding to thicken up the pipe (not to close to the tip) and wrap it with a crap load of electrical tape (make sure the tight wrappings are perfectly flat)

This is the spot your pod will clamp to.

but you'll be surprised, i ordered a 2.5in cai and the pod was 3in.. managed to clamp down flat against the pipe

VtiKid
12-07-2007, 12:18 AM
how far should the pipe go into the pod? i think i need to get a new pod coz the one i got with the setup looks its those onez with the white stocking style cover at the front it doesnt cave in like the other onez...

misteR_bilzz
12-07-2007, 12:25 AM
you can also get adapters to make incompatible sizes fit.. not exactly sure where but i could try autobahn or supercheap.. maybe even peps.

EuroAccord13
12-07-2007, 12:41 AM
Use silicon hose to make up for the extra space...

i'm using 'ghetto' piping ie PVC piping...if i remember right, the piping diameter is 82mm...using K&N pod...all fit perfectly:D

if u can get 82cm metal piping from a pipe shop or maybe bathroom shops like reece etc, that should do the trick...

Your pipe was made dependant on the actual filter's internal neck diameter...

VtiKid
12-07-2007, 01:25 AM
hrmmmm ill c wat i can do so far the sealing the gap with sum flat surfaced rubber seems to be a gud idea ill think along those lines... im jst wonderin where i cud find such material hrmmmmmmmm suggestions?

YLDCRD
12-07-2007, 01:50 AM
Sorry to hijack, But i installed my cold air today. When i start the car the intake makes like a ssssttt sound, and then the sound gradually lowers after a while. But sound is still noticable.
Its Just a simota lol Is it meant to sound like that?

VtiKid
12-07-2007, 01:58 AM
i thought that only happened wen u turned the car off and air escaped outa the filter.. hrmmmm..

aimre
12-07-2007, 03:06 AM
is that some sort of reducer i see in that bag u have failed to open?

YLDCRD
12-07-2007, 01:05 PM
i thought that only happened wen u turned the car off and air escaped outa the filter.. hrmmmm..

Yeah its weird, and its pretty noticable and i wanna know why its doing it.
Anyone??

sever_all_ties
12-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Sorry to hijack, But i installed my cold air today. When i start the car the intake makes like a ssssttt sound, and then the sound gradually lowers after a while. But sound is still noticable.
Its Just a simota lol Is it meant to sound like that?

Id say its more noticeable on startup because the idle is higher when warming up.

My CAI makes a very noticeable low hissing sound when just idling, so id say its just a CAI thing your gonna have to get used to.

VtiKid
12-07-2007, 07:46 PM
nah no reducer its just the silicone to join the pipe to the intake and the pipes together.... i checked out a reducer today so if i cant diy style the cai den im guna have to get a reducer or sumfin ,.... thanks
and yldcrd the cai always hisses well wen i had a lancer and an nxr they both did dw ull get use to it sounds kinda cool hahaha

VtiKid
12-07-2007, 07:59 PM
actually yeh it was a reducer so i got silicone for the pod and the two pipes n some black lining to connect it into the intake manifold weird im guna put it together 2morrow c how i go wish me luck

Muzz
12-07-2007, 08:06 PM

No air goes any where when the engine stops spinning, especially out the filter:thumbsup:

iced
12-07-2007, 08:24 PM
get a silicone reducer 2.5-3 inch (or 2.75-3 if the piping is 2.75) and some 3inch offcut to connect it to the pod.
easy mate.

you can get a rubber reducer 2.5-3 which will stretch on a 2.75 pipe from supercheap for 10$

VtiKid
12-07-2007, 08:29 PM
well i remember hearing the ssssttt sound wen i turned my car off it was short ram actually duno about the full cai.....