PDA

View Full Version : Help looking into buying a s2k

Perry
13-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Hey guys,

I'm currently at work atm dont have much time to search on the SEaRch button.
1.Can anyone point out the main things I need to look out for on s2k's these days besides the usual panels, engine, oil etc.
2. In regards to JDM s2k's what things i need to look out for e.g. compliance plates etc.

I'm such a noob at this atm
Cheers
Perry

bennjamin
13-07-2007, 09:41 AM
99 had an issue with the gearbox or shiftlinkage in general - for starters

ludecrs
13-07-2007, 10:34 AM
We really need a ****en sticky....

aaronng
13-07-2007, 10:41 AM
01 and below had a plastic window. Also, not all come with the wind deflectors. I think 01 and before also had buzzing clutch springs.

CONAN
13-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Which model are you after? 99-01? 02-04?

- a professional inspection by a mechanic and body shop with particular attention given to the valvetrain (pulling the valve cover, inspecting retainers, and doing a leak-down test) to detect overrev.

these you can check for yourself before paying someone to look at it for you:

- the 1-2 shift grind
- clutch engagement and disengagement

- unusual noise (clicks, thunks, grinds, vibration, etc.) while going thru a series of starts, stops, and turns, this will help evaluate the differential, c-v joints, hubs, spindles and axle nuts, and just about anything else turning back there. I would get in a wide open (emphasis on wide open) lot and do the following as some of these only pop up during one type of activity:

- do a slow forward start, stop, then a slow reverse start
- accelerate, cruise, decel in straight line
- some slow circles, both left and right
- accel thru right then left turns, gently!!!! (unless you want to go for a ride sideways)
- decel thru right then left turns, again, gently!!!
- and about anything else you can think of that would mimic normal driving

(no need to thrash the car doing this, just a gentle series of excercises)

- cv boot damage leading to cv joint damage
- top wear, inside and out
- faded tail lights (some turning pink)
- spark plug TSB
- clicking or tapping from engine (signs of overrev)
- slight "dimples" on front and rear fenders above wheel well (believed to be the result of people lifting the car by hand at the wheel wells to fit floor jacks under the car)
- window operation

CONAN
13-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Perry check this out !

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=301506&st=0&#entry5798522

Enjoy.
-Paul

ROLLED
13-07-2007, 12:41 PM
you think, he thinks, i think...

99-01 - plastic rear window, clutch buzz (buzzing sound when off the gas and in gear)

...there's no problems with the gearbox, the only issue is that the gearbox/diff are weak in general and will break if constantly abused!

CONAN
13-07-2007, 12:46 PM
I've checked out half a dozen S2ks in the last few months..
And you wouldnt believe how many of them have been hit, and the owners denying it.
Just be very weary of that.

euroasia
13-07-2007, 02:06 PM
i didn't even know you could comply imported s2k's

AusS2000
13-07-2007, 02:22 PM
One thing to check is to feel for vibration whilst accelerating around a left hand corner. You're looking for CV joint wear. This is quite common on S2000s that have been driven hard and/or lowered.

Also, the S has a noisy valvetrain. A bit of ticking can be a cold engine, valves out of adjustment, bad timing chain tensioner or the result of an overrev. Just don't jump to conclusions when you hear a little rattle.

Perry
13-07-2007, 05:59 PM
i didn't even know you could comply imported s2k's

under personal imports from Memory I know of 3 thats it at the moment

eriktufa
13-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Another noob like me :D

I'll be keeping up with this thread or else -> DARK SIDE :D

krovikan
19-07-2007, 09:20 PM
As far as i know, you cant comply a JDM S2K for road use as the car was avliable in aust (SEVS) and the only way to import one is if it is for track use. But u could have years ago before the SEVS rule was put in place preventing the import of car models already avliable in aust

.::F[L]Y::.
19-07-2007, 11:07 PM
perry dont get one...shit cars i tell ya :p

chicken8
19-07-2007, 11:16 PM
As far as i know, you cant comply a JDM S2K for road use as the car was avliable in aust (SEVS) and the only way to import one is if it is for track use. But u could have years ago before the SEVS rule was put in place preventing the import of car models already avliable in aust

SEVS is only 1 form of importing

private imports can be done on any car as long as you owned it in the country its coming from

with regards to the JDM s2000. i heard that there might be problems with sourcing the right fuel. as japan got more potent fuel than us. and we don't have a high enough octane fuel to run it properly

ludecrs
20-07-2007, 12:49 AM
my mate has a JDM Import S2K. Paid $24K for it. 2000 model. Road Registered etc.

No problems with fuel.......

MRSPCS
20-07-2007, 07:53 AM
only 20k? shit.. thats cheap.

ludecrs
20-07-2007, 11:16 AM
Yer..... but its silverstone! *fail* lol.

integrity
24-07-2007, 09:30 AM
hehehe interested in a gold one :)

Perry
24-07-2007, 02:51 PM
nope sorry

whoosh!
27-07-2007, 01:57 AM
the crackling noise from the rear when u take off(most early model have it), is the diff,some pll say its something else but it garanteed diff..