PDA

View Full Version : Need a new clutch!

MRSPCS
13-07-2007, 03:58 PM
hey guys, i'm in the market for a new clutch, i was wondering what clutches have you guys gone with in your S, whether it'll be OEM or after market like exedy?.. I was recommended to go with exedy hd, which will cost me alittle over 1k..
what are your guys thoughts? .. help would be appreciated!

cheers!

destrukshn
13-07-2007, 03:59 PM
i can get oem cheaper
=)

destrukshn
13-07-2007, 04:08 PM
oh btw, on the s2ks it's recommend to replaced the flywheel.
you can machine em, but how it comes it, is how it comes out, like if it doens;t turn out good, that's it.
lol.

ROLLED
13-07-2007, 10:06 PM
**** don't machine the flywheel...why would you even bother when you have 20" chromes?

Unless your pushing out huge power I would stick with stock...A really strong clutch is just going to break diffs...

MRSPCS
15-07-2007, 05:09 PM
^^ oh thats right, i've only got 20" chromes.. little do you know atm the car is sitting on stockies, and in the near future, i will be getting te37's.

Drew
15-07-2007, 06:00 PM
**** don't machine the flywheel...why would you even bother when you have 20" chromes?

Unless your pushing out huge power I would stick with stock...A really strong clutch is just going to break diffs...

You ****... You resurface the flywheel to remove the glazing from the old clutch

destrukshn
15-07-2007, 06:08 PM
You ****... You resurface the flywheel to remove the glazing from the old clutch
true.
but on the s2k's
it's a tad different, sometimes it doesn't become a pefect surface when machining it.
that's why honda recommend buying a new flywheel, it's pretty cheap around 350ish for a brand new one rrp.

Drew
15-07-2007, 06:59 PM
^^ I've done a few and they've come back just fine

destrukshn
15-07-2007, 07:15 PM
we've also done a few, but like i said sometimes it doesn't come back the way it's supposed to. lol.
but yes, you can machine em, but the results may vary.

Drew
15-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Resurface it's not really a machining process

I tend to do my own anyway; a workshop 3 shops down has the machine for it; just pay them $5 to use it, instead of $40 and getting them to do it.

yourfather
15-07-2007, 10:33 PM
^^ oh thats right, i've only got 20" chromes.. little do you know atm the car is sitting on stockies, and in the near future, i will be getting te37's.

Don't worry man. He just thinks he's king dick.

Bowzer
16-07-2007, 12:08 PM
I found the exedy HD clutch kit uses a OEM honda Clutch Cover and OEM honda release bearing. The only difference is the clutch plate which will most likely have a higher friction co-efficient then the OEM one. The Kit works out to be cheaper then getting it from Honda.

jenova
16-07-2007, 01:22 PM
hey guys, i'm in the market for a new clutch, i was wondering what clutches have you guys gone with in your S, whether it'll be OEM or after market like exedy?.. I was recommended to go with exedy hd, which will cost me alittle over 1k..
what are your guys thoughts? .. help would be appreciated!

cheers!

What are the signs of your clutch going?

MRSPCS
16-07-2007, 03:34 PM
the first signs i noticed were when 'giving it a hit' it took awhile for the gears to engage with eachother, then it started over-reving when accelerating

ROLLED
16-07-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm trying to give some advice to this guy, I don't want him to lose his leg because of a machined flywheel...whats wrong with you?

Don't worry man. He just thinks he's king dick.

goforthandmultiplys2
16-07-2007, 07:35 PM
I'm trying to give some advice to this guy, I don't want him to lose his leg because of a machined flywheel...whats wrong with you?

no..you were trying to make him feel small.....unless you go to a butcher...theres no reason to not have your flywheel "faced" lightly by a machinist. Lightened...maybe by more of an expert...An un heat treated flywheel is all that is required....even at 1000 bhp...

ludecrs
16-07-2007, 07:57 PM
oh the joys of OzCivicsUnite

Drew
17-07-2007, 01:31 PM

Yeah because S2000's put out 7,000bhp and 12,000Nm torque at 2,340rpm

btw I might have seen you the other day; or another red S2K with a P plate in the same place; did you see me in my CH9?

robert112
17-07-2007, 03:51 PM

you finally woke up to your self. I'm the guy you told off on ns.com for teasing those mirrors you had as wheels.

stock/te37's = respect. :thumbsup:

*bennjamin edit grow up

Do you remember a shop in yennora called ND Automotive? Near the train station? I can organise the owner to install cheap for you. PM if interesetd.

destrukshn
17-07-2007, 04:01 PM
you finally woke up to your self. I'm the guy you told off on ns.com for teasing those mirrors you had as wheels.

stock/te37's = respect. :thumbsup:
*blah*

Do you remember a shop in yennora called ND Automotive? Near the train station? I can organise the owner to install cheap for you. PM if interesetd.
still don't understand, what's it to you, whever he puts 20" chromes or te37's?
or what not.
people should just do what they like to they're car in my opinion.
some people like chrome, some don't?
lol.
meh, my view.

MRSPCS
17-07-2007, 05:16 PM
^^ haha rob, well to be honest i never ever liked chromies, i had no intenions on ever buying them back when i had my s15s..
for some reason i liked the looked on the s2ks with 20's, wasn't too worried about the weight as the car still has alot of pull behind the wheel.
i guess you guys can hate it or love it.. but at the end of the day azlong as i love it, it really doesn't matter to me what anything thinks.. no matter how much people bag me out about em.
like i told you before rob, they weren't cheap bro.. if i really wantd to, i could've put extra cash together and got brandnew te37's.. ohwellz, time to waste more money soon i guess.

ludecrs
17-07-2007, 08:01 PM
ohwellz, time to waste more money soon i guess.

Get used to it lol. My S2000 is a money pit of mods.

MRSPCS
17-07-2007, 08:48 PM
^^ hey dude.. have you done the headlight and tailight conversion yet?
really interested.

yourfather
17-07-2007, 08:50 PM
meh if you like the 20 inch chrome wheels keep them.

dont be like every other groupthink JDM wanker out there. just do what you like.

TE37's are just as cliched as Chrome

MRSPCS
17-07-2007, 08:54 PM
oh, i will definately be keeping them, aswell as buying te37's..

ludecrs
17-07-2007, 09:20 PM
baller :p

AusS2000
24-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Interesting convo with the usual OzHonda spice to make it interesting.

I think the chrome wheels argument is why lighten a flywheel with the inherent risks if you've done other anti-performance mods to the car. Kinda makes sense, except we aren't really talking about lightening, just resurfacing.

Lightening and resurfacing are both machining tasks but surfacing is just taking the top glazed/crazed layer off. Most flywheels you can do this a few times with out an issue so long as they aren't hardened. Is the S2K's flywheel hardened? If so, surfacing will remove the hardening and leave you with a soft metal band. Not ideal for an engine that spins to 9000rpm.

But just as dangerous is a flywheel with surface cracks. Crack propogate and creep and will eventually fail.

So I guess there is some logic in Honda recommending replacing flywheels. $350 is not a huge price to pay for piece of mind.

goforthandmultiplys2
29-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Is the S2K's flywheel hardened? If so, surfacing will remove the hardening and leave you with a soft metal band.

Yes and no....the flywheel is 2 piece being the wheel and the ring gear. The ring gear is hardened higher tensile steel. You wouldnt machine it. The wheel itself is pretty much cast iron. You wouldn't heat treat it because hardening it will make it brittle! It would be the same hardness on the surface as its' core would be.

It is interesting though that 99% of all aftermarket 1 piece steel flywheels would be heat treated- that is, nitrided actually. The reasoning isnt structural, but wear resistance. Nitriding has a very minimal case depth, and if you have your nitrided flywheel "re faced" ,as a fitter and turner would call it, it would need re nitriding.

Vuey
30-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Yes and no....the flywheel is 2 piece being the wheel and the ring gear. The ring gear is hardened higher tensile steel. You wouldnt machine it. The wheel itself is pretty much cast iron. You wouldn't heat treat it because hardening it will make it brittle! It would be the same hardness on the surface as its' core would be.

It is interesting though that 99% of all aftermarket 1 piece steel flywheels would be heat treated- that is, nitrided actually. The reasoning isnt structural, but wear resistance. Nitriding has a very minimal case depth, and if you have your nitrided flywheel "re faced" ,as a fitter and turner would call it, it would need re nitriding.

i think your "over - analyzing" the situation ..... my mate had his clutch replaced on his S2000 last yr , the mechanics pulls it apart , looks at the fly wheel and says , "it look a little worn out , do you want us to machine it and use it again ? or for $250 you can get a brand new one with warranty and piece of mind that its not going to crack?" The choice is clear . Whats $250 on a $30 - 40k car .

ennavoli
30-07-2007, 08:15 PM
meh if you like the 20 inch chrome wheels keep them.

dont be like every other groupthink JDM wanker out there. just do what you like.

TE37's are just as cliched as Chrome

Well said. :thumbsup: Some are JDM bullshit and not every JDM items are pratical. I have noticed JDM items to be of very high quality but some of them just do not serve any purpose. (Like J Racing's engine torque damper which broke after 2 weeks on a vehicle I saw)