PDA

View Full Version : Civic 2006: Annoying driving experience

Aco3n
13-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Just out of my curiosity, this question is valid for all of the fd civic owner, especially with 1.8 manual transmision.

When you drive the car in a stop and go traffic, do you feel the clutch is kind a annoying? It feels like you have to be "under-rev or over rev" before launch. And while changing the gear, esp from 1st to the 2nd, it's hard to do a "smooth gear change". The car tends to knocking since it's really hard for me in "balancing" the clutch and the pedal.

Then I went to Honda claiming for the warranty. They asked me to do a test drive with the foreman, and I demonstrated the situation. But there's nothing Honda can do as what the foreman said it's caused by the clutch setting.

I might be wrong, but it feels like the pedal is not responsive enough. It feels like laggy for a couple milisecs.

I feel like a noob while driving my car. At first I didn't really care about it. But after a while, it starting to annoying me.

I'm just wondering if there is anyone out there feel the same like I do?

PS: I did a test my friend's fd, and it does the same thing. However, it doesn't happening with the K20. Is it because of the stupid DBW implemented in R18?

aaronng
13-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Does it happen in the FD K20?

aaronng
14-07-2007, 12:45 AM
Yes, all FDs have drive by wire, even the JDM CTR!

Aco3n
14-07-2007, 04:23 AM
k20 seems a bit better.. I can't really notice the "lag".. but if I'm trying to feel it .. it is there..

aaronng
14-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Change your driving style. With the Euro, when you lift off the accelerator and clutch in, the RPM actually keeps increasing for about 0.5 seconds, so when you shift, you have to shift slower if you want to keep it smooth.

Aco3n
14-07-2007, 01:15 PM
looks like it.. so it's happening with euro as well..

maybe I'm just not used to with this new DBW thingy.. sometimes I have to concentrate to keep it smooth.. lol..

thanks aaronng.. you've been a great help..

aaronng
14-07-2007, 01:22 PM
looks like it.. so it's happening with euro as well..

maybe I'm just not used to with this new DBW thingy.. sometimes I have to concentrate to keep it smooth.. lol..

thanks aaronng.. you've been a great help..

No worries. In the US, the Civic Si had the same problem and Honda USA finally issued an ECU software update that fixed the problem. However, no such fix was issued for Acuras (your car is sold as the Acura CSX)

Aco3n
14-07-2007, 03:19 PM
civic SI is using k20 if I'm not mistaken, so it won't be suitable.

I'm sort of losing faith in Honda australia warranty. Even if there are any updates in ECU software for Acura CSX, I don't think it will be valid in here.

After service is not as good. This happens to Accord V6 99-02 model (if I'm not mistaken) with the transmission issue.

From one of the dealer in Melbourne, they don't even believe the issue is happening here.

MKI4EVA
14-07-2007, 05:43 PM
same thing on the sport bro..........fark'n very annoying.........hehhehe

thats why i try to sit it just under 7Krpm all the time.........

: )

andyhui01
15-07-2007, 11:32 AM
I actually feel the same thing in Auto as well... but obviously it doesn't make it jerky... can someone point out the advantage of drive by wire?

aaronng
15-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Drive by wire is great for autos and emissions.

oniononline
15-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Yeah, having a similar problem with my VTI-L manual, but occasionally the manual shifting from gear 1 to 2 is extremely smooth! I'm still trying to figure it out how I did them.. mm..

denot
16-07-2007, 01:55 PM
i didnt notice this problem with my sports auto... there's a slight delay when i step on the accel when a car is moving slowly (from about to stop @ redlight then the lights turns green) though...

btw, it seems that none of us test drive the car before we buy them... :p

ido09s
16-07-2007, 09:30 PM
i do the same thing. You just need to adjust your driving style.

Fly by wire throttle is actually an electronic throttle. There is no cable going from the accelarator pedal to the throttle butterfly on the engine. I got mine serviced today and i asked if there were any software updates to fix the problem but they said there is nothing, and will likely be nothing either which sucks :(

Mine also feels to have a flat spot, its actually the throttle causing it, does anyone else have this as well???

Aco3n
16-07-2007, 11:39 PM
at least I'm not alone.. hehe.. I highly doubt Honda will release any updates with the sofyware

xenfacta
17-07-2007, 04:45 PM
i just thought i was n00b.... yay for me

denot
17-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Mine also feels to have a flat spot, its actually the throttle causing it, does anyone else have this as well???

I do! T-T

aaronng
17-07-2007, 05:21 PM
It's easy to drive around smoothly. Just change your shifting and clutch control style.