PDA

View Full Version : unknown problem?!

Dy_
14-07-2007, 05:18 PM
So my sound system was running fine for a couple of weeks.
Then outta the blue i notice my sub isnt work anymore? cause the amp wasnt turning on.
brought it back to straithfield they chcked it and it was working but it wouldnt work in my car?

I've already checked:
12V = ok
3x Ground = ok
amp wire = ok

I've been told if the rca leads ran along with the power cable then it'll screw up? is it true?
Anyone ever experienced anything like this? know what could be wrong?

Thanks guys

Jonald
14-07-2007, 06:14 PM
You sure everything is connected properly?

Having everything running together shouldn't do any damage if any at all.

teaseR
14-07-2007, 06:37 PM
amp not turning on = power , ground or remote

honda_zivic
14-07-2007, 06:45 PM
rca are not meant to be run with power cables coz they will produce interference noise like buzz sound or engine. run da rca on one side of the car.
it's mainly ur ground wire if this is not connect correctly it wont power up so scrap away any paint make sure its bare metal...

Dell99
14-07-2007, 06:53 PM
trigger wire?

nvm. noticed it was sub only n not speakers as well

Dy_
14-07-2007, 10:48 PM
hrmm yeah i've checked power, amp and ground cables already using a multimetre all is fine?

still dont know whats causing the problem?

solitz
14-07-2007, 11:29 PM
what type of amp is it?...and do u know how strathfield tested the amp?

Dy_
14-07-2007, 11:33 PM
what type of amp is it?...and do u know how strathfield tested the amp?

they had a set up with speakers etc on a bench ..and just pluged everything just like it would in a car and the amp turned on.

put it back in my car? and it wont work.

solitz
14-07-2007, 11:37 PM
amp fuse under the bonnet is still good?

Dy_
14-07-2007, 11:43 PM
yep both fuses still good

anyone know if there are any chances the rca leads may be gone?

aka_NSX
15-07-2007, 07:09 AM
yep both fuses still good

anyone know if there are any chances the rca leads may be gone?

you have mentioned the amp is not turn on mean is not the RCA, have you checked your trigger wire ? it might be loose at the back of your H/U

Dy_
15-07-2007, 05:21 PM
you have mentioned the amp is not turn on mean is not the RCA, have you checked your trigger wire ? it might be loose at the back of your H/U

hrmm which ones the trigger wire? is it the amp wire?
cause i've already checked the amp wire..i even got a new wire for it.

thanks

kiwicuz
15-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Hey man if they tested it on the bench and it was working i would be checking the remote wire. how many amps are you running?? i wouldn't run more than two amplifiers on the remote feed at the head unit without using a extra relay... try bridging the battery feed into the remote input if your amp turns on thats your prob... after that could be a short somewhere else

Dy_
15-07-2007, 05:54 PM
Hey man if they tested it on the bench and it was working i would be checking the remote wire. how many amps are you running?? i wouldn't run more than two amplifiers on the remote feed at the head unit without using a extra relay... try bridging the battery feed into the remote input if your amp turns on thats your prob... after that could be a short somewhere else

yeah its only running one amp..10amp wire is that i got i think, forgot.
how many volts is suppose to run through it?

kiwicuz
15-07-2007, 06:01 PM
yeah its only running one amp..10amp wire is that i got i think, forgot.
how many volts is suppose to run through it?

hey man do you mean 10gauge?? look 8gauge is the standard size for batt+ and earth- to use so your wire is a little small you can just use 3mm for remote wire. but its not the reason its not turning on check the remote feed.

Dy_
15-07-2007, 06:13 PM
hey man do you mean 10gauge?? look 8gauge is the standard size for batt+ and earth- to use so your wire is a little small you can just use 3mm for remote wire. but its not the reason its not turning on check the remote feed.

yeah man my power cables etc are 8gauge.
you were asking about my remote wire wernt you? my remote wire im using is 10amps 3mm or something

Dy_
15-07-2007, 06:15 PM
sorry dude..i was typing amp wire when i meant remote lol. my bad

Dy_
17-07-2007, 02:57 PM
so no one knows anything else that could be the cause?

what if i changed all my wiring to 4 gauge?

Luke Accord
17-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Is your amp in an inclosure? I had an amp under glass and it used to cut out due to overheating as there was not enough air getting to the amp. Once i changed the setup it stopped happening but it used to start up and go for a while until it was turned up really loud then would cut out. So maybe your amp is in thermal protection mode (i think thats what they refer to it as). But from what i gather yours isn't getting any power to it yeh? So if thats the case i supose you can only check the grounding, remote wire and power.
Hope that helps.

Dy_
17-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Is your amp in an inclosure? I had an amp under glass and it used to cut out due to overheating as there was not enough air getting to the amp. Once i changed the setup it stopped happening but it used to start up and go for a while until it was turned up really loud then would cut out. So maybe your amp is in thermal protection mode (i think thats what they refer to it as). But from what i gather yours isn't getting any power to it yeh? So if thats the case i supose you can only check the grounding, remote wire and power.
Hope that helps.

Nuh mines just sitting in the boot so that should be alright.
yeah it isnt even turning on..i've checked evrything though nothings working.

Guess im gonna bring it somewhere and get it check by a professional.

Luke Accord
17-07-2007, 05:17 PM
From the sounds of it everything should be ok. Have you taken it out the car and just tried running power to it to see if it starts up? Maybe your power wire or ground or remote has a cut in it somewhere along it? Thats all i can think of.

Dy_
17-07-2007, 05:20 PM
From the sounds of it everything should be ok. Have you taken it out the car and just tried running power to it to see if it starts up? Maybe your power wire or ground or remote has a cut in it somewhere along it? Thats all i can think of.

i got new remote wire for it so that should be fine.
ground cables i've checked it all..
power cable i used a multimetre to test and it reads 12v so that should be ok aswell.

Luke Accord
17-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Is the remote wire connected to the back of the head unit properly maybe its coming loose when you put the headunit in the car. Sounds like everything should be working fine.

Dy_
17-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Is the remote wire connected to the back of the head unit properly maybe its coming loose when you put the headunit in the car. Sounds like everything should be working fine.

nope its not coming loose. i left the head unit outside just to make sure it didnt come loose.

yeah everythign seems right aswell but there HAS to be smething wrong.

Dy_
17-07-2007, 05:27 PM
i will get all my fuses(power, amp and h/u) changed even though they look perfectly fine.

Luke Accord
17-07-2007, 05:31 PM
i will get all my fuses(power, amp and h/u) changed even though they look perfectly fine.

I suppose thats all thats left to do.

paradox_108
22-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Try jumping a wire from the + on the amp to the remote. If everything turns on then there is something wrong with your remote wire or your headunit.

Check the voltage of the remote wire under load. It might not be getting enough power to the amp.

If infact your remote wire is not giving enough current. You have 2 options.

1. Connect the remote wire to the ignition.
2. Run a relay.

Dy_
23-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Try jumping a wire from the + on the amp to the remote. If everything turns on then there is something wrong with your remote wire or your headunit.

Check the voltage of the remote wire under load. It might not be getting enough power to the amp.

If infact your remote wire is not giving enough current. You have 2 options.

1. Connect the remote wire to the ignition.
2. Run a relay.

So basically try connecting my remote wire straight to +12V?

paradox_108
23-07-2007, 09:05 PM
yes if your amps turn on. Its your remote wire causing your problems.

Jon_51
24-07-2007, 11:53 AM
I bet it's a dodgey earth.

hai
27-07-2007, 12:54 AM
i had the exact same problem,

i did all the check ups:

1 - All 3 ground cables
2 - power
3 - remote
4 - RCA leads
5 - fuzee

i just ended up rewiring with 4guage wires; worked a treat.