PDA

View Full Version : EK CXi D16Y4 to B16A

RobboEK
16-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Hi Guys,

I have an EK civic with a D16Y4 :( and i got my first taste for VTEC a few months ago (JDM ITR) now i'm looking at doing a B16A conversion. I have come across a B16A motor but its motor only. So no intake, exhaust, Loom or ECU and tranny.

What do i need to do to my EK (CXi) to make it compliant eg. Brakes and suspension and so forth...

Or what would be the easiest and most cost effective way of way of carrying out the transplant?

Could someone please list the parts required and the approximate cost individually

Thanks

spacepants_fb
16-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Hi Guys,

I have an EK civic with a D16Y4 :( and i got my first taste for VTEC a few months ago (JDM ITR) now i'm looking at doing a B16A conversion. I have come across a B16A motor but its motor only. So no intake, exhaust, Loom or ECU and tranny.

What do i need to do to my EK (CXi) to make it compliant eg. Brakes and suspension and so forth...

Or what would be the easiest and most cost effective way of way of carrying out the transplant?

Could someone please list the parts required and the approximate cost individually

Thanks

Hi Robbo,

From going thorugh the same dilemma as you, and seeing others take different approaces (ie. sourcing out parts individually), I'd recommend just getting a halfcut from the onset. Getting a halfcut will mean that all the parts you need for your conversion will be there, hence less headache trying to obtain some hard to find parts (an example being b-series driveshafts). If you are in Sydney, speak with Jimmy aka fatboyz on this forum as he may be able to help you.

RobboEK
16-07-2007, 02:18 PM
I have already got the motor so i will have to source the parts individually. ARGH!

barefootbonzai
16-07-2007, 02:43 PM
have fun, you'll need to do a lot of parts hunting.

sdx
16-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Sell the motor and buy a halfcut. It will save you lots of messing around

|N|
16-07-2007, 05:29 PM
to get it on the road

- engine mounts
- ecu / loom
- gear box with linkage
- drive shaft
i htink i missed a few other thhings... but meh i m tired

good luck...

Yasakani
16-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Hi Guys,

I have an EK civic with a D16Y4 :( and i got my first taste for VTEC a few months ago (JDM ITR) now i'm looking at doing a B16A conversion.

Thanks

Would a B16A REALLY be the same experience as an ITR?

andiiso
16-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Would a B16A REALLY be the same experience as an ITR?

i dont think the B16A is gonna give you anything near the ITR, unless like modded up highly or something, because the B16A is so much less torquey (if theres something like that, but you get the drift) compared to the ITR, i compared my stock vtir to my brothers ITR and even when his was stock, he had so much more of a better driving experience then i do with my ek4, shifts, torque, km climb, and also the rush of VTEC when it kick in etc. you might be a bit disappointed with the B16A if your gonna compare to the ITR in your mind. Instead of getting the B16A parts to go with your motor (sell your motor :p) go for a B18C halfcut out of a VtiR Integra or even better ITR .. or if have money K20A :cool:

thats my opinion, so B16A owners please dont flame me i have one too !! just that it was nothing compared to my brothers ITR.

Yasakani
16-07-2007, 06:22 PM
i dont think the B16A is gonna give you anything near the ITR

LoL, it was a rhetorical question :zip:

andiiso
16-07-2007, 10:39 PM
yea i was gonna edit and not quote you, but then i couldnt be bothered changing and also it added to what i was trying to point out to RobboEK anyway

civicVI
16-07-2007, 10:50 PM
If you doing a B16A conversion ... What about sell your car then get a real VTIR? it may cheaper then doing a B16A conversion.. IMO

VtiKid
18-07-2007, 08:10 PM
VTEEC YOOOOOOOOOoOOOo

RobboEK
19-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Yeah i understand that its not gonna be like the ITR, but in hind sight hopefully i should give me more bang than the D16 i currently have, the idea behind it all is to transplant the B16 in and rebuild the D16 for a turbo then when the B16 dies (hopefully not to quickly) it will give me a chance to get the funds together and make the D16 a bit more solid and bolt on a suited turbo.

qstoria
19-07-2007, 10:05 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70935

if u are looking for parts then there is a b18c vtir gearbox for sale in this thread. its at the bottom of the sellers first post. best of luck either way

SeverAMV
19-07-2007, 10:10 AM
well it may not be as fast as an integra type r, but it might feel like it is because you're kinda sticking a high powered motor into a chassis that may not be built to handle it. you could always get a turbo and time it so it spools up the same time as vtec for an added boost, lol. oh and dont you need a new ECU to run the B16A? if you cant source the original, you could always go aftermarket and gain a bit of a power boost whilst you're at it.

make sure you reinforce the body a bit to reduce flex, ie. strut braces, tie bars, sway bars, etc.