View Full Version : Replacing CV boot

zx6r.j1
17-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Alas, after 160,000km of use the right outer CV boot of my civic has torn. I am planning to replace it myself, but having difficulty sourcing this CV Boot.

From RobertLane, it's $125 and non-stock item
From eBay it's $55 but a complete kit (boot & joint)

Is there anyplace I can buy this Outer CV Boot ? I initially thought it's quite an easy item to buy :o

Drew
17-07-2007, 12:28 PM
RnE Auto Parts have them; fairly cheap around $20 each
Burson's and Repco have them for about double that! However the ones that RnE sell are of a better quality; they use metal tie where as Repco and Burson use cable ties and leak a bit of grease over time

Why do you want to replace the CV joint? Is there something wrong with them?

I do Honda D Series CV boots for $40 per side fitted or B/H series for $60 per side fitted

I'm in Melbourne; my workshop is in North Coburg

zx6r.j1
17-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Thanks. It's not the cv joint that's faulty, but rather just the rubber boot.

It has not got to the worse stage so I'm thinkin just to replace the boot.

90LAN
17-07-2007, 03:32 PM
i bought a rubber boot kit for 14 bucks from repco

ECU-MAN
17-07-2007, 08:46 PM
have fun changing it

16CTEG
17-07-2007, 09:16 PM
have fun changing it

LOL i agree ECU-MAN!! its not a easy task!!! probably need a CV boot gun, or soemthing or rather! whatever its called!

ECU-MAN
17-07-2007, 09:39 PM
more messy than difficult.

when you know what your doing its real easy.

gtrmaniac
17-07-2007, 09:58 PM
the cv boot is hard to change if u dont know what you're doing i suggest take it to a mechanic cuz if u take out the cv shaft u'll prolli wont know how to take off the cv joint to replace the cv boot, the cv boot can be brought at ur local auto spare parts store 10 - 20bux like ecu man sed "when you know what your doing its real easy"

bennjamin
17-07-2007, 10:02 PM
more messy than difficult.

when you know what your doing its real easy.

Yeah.

i did my first set - apparently the onyl way to change a CV boot , is from the other side.
You have to take 2-3clips off (end joint , then balancer rubber , then CV boot) and take each boot off one at a time until you reach the CV boot. Then , with a clean driveshaft you slide the new boot down the shaft and pump her full of grease ( 125gm according to honda). Retighten boot clip. Re install the old balancer ( if applicable) and out boot and put clips back on (honda ones are reuseable) and thats it. Messy.

shinji112
17-07-2007, 10:20 PM
i just went to hannys! they had the hoist and the right tools.. took them a few minutes! saved me alot of trouble! supplied both boots and grease. cost like 90bux

aimre
18-07-2007, 12:45 AM
i just went to hannys! they had the hoist and the right tools.. took them a few minutes! saved me alot of trouble! supplied both boots and grease. cost like 90bux

Yeah, payed like $230 for both left and right boots changed (parts NOT supplied as they get it cheaper) and they changed my knuckles while they were at it, and bled my brakes. Cheap as

EWCivic
18-07-2007, 01:50 AM
i spent $30 and 30mins to change my CV boot last last Wed.
As ECU man said "when you know what your doing its real easy."

zx6r.j1
18-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Thanks for all the warning guys. There are two reasons why I need/want to do it myself. The first being my wife actually use the car to drop/get the kids, so I can't take it away from her -- and the second is knowing it's torn I'm not confident enough to drive it to Coburg North as offered (Thanks Drew, I live in Chelsea).

I am planning to follow the service manual. Looks straight-forward but I'll keep you updated. May even come up with a diy article if successful :D

As advised I went to Repco to get the boot but they did not have any Civic ones, only a 'universal' type which I needed to cut and it's $30. Not convinced, I went to Burson and got the correct one for $15. It looks the business compared to the Repco one, and even use metal straps.

One further question though, how does one unfasten the spindle nut without making the wheel turn ?

bennjamin
18-07-2007, 09:49 AM
you do it on the ground (to keep the wheel static) or you use a high powered air tool. ZIPS it off quick smart.

ECU-MAN
18-07-2007, 11:05 PM
my only advice is make sure you tighten everything up when your done and MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE SPLIT PINS BACK IN.

search the DIY Section, some one ( Paul ) beat you to the DIY

zx6r.j1
19-07-2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks ECU-MAN. I've searched around the web on this "quick method". How do you separate the circlip-attached assembly? By using a hammer or simply prying open the circlip after locating it ?

Drew
19-07-2007, 02:19 PM
One further question though, how does one unfasten the spindle nut without making the wheel turn ?

Put the car onto the ground... and undo it

Then putting it back on hand tighten it; lower the car and re tighten and make sure u bash in that notch bit or else it will come off...

You're actually supposed to replace that nut not reuse it

See not taking it to me; you're going to spend a whole day doing it :P

Also use NEW split pins DO NOT reuse them

ECU-MAN
19-07-2007, 02:20 PM
if your talking about the circlip on the shaft holding the cv on, yes with a hammer. cution you can damage the joint if you wack the wrong part for too long.

lines
20-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Sorry to hi-jack but how would you know it's time to replace CV drive shaft as opposed to just the CV boots? Cheers, Nathan.

zx6r.j1
20-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Oooooooooookaaay... the whole thing did take almost a whole day, but that includes going to Supercheap to get 'forgotten supplies' and admiring the intricaties of the thing :p

It was quite straight forward as the manual says. Take spindle nut off, this bolt, that bolt, etc. And yes it's really messy. Happy to know that there were plenty of grease left in the cv joint. Other thing that made me happy was how the nuts were not dead tight. I remember just taking the knuckle off my old Ford requires considerable amount of brute force. The honda is just so nifty, refined :thumbsup:

Some cursing time was needed when undoing the stop circlip. It did not have the gap required to insert a circlip plier so I had to grind the plier thin. Furthermore it does not have correct slant angle. No worries once I took it off I gave it a good whack so next disassembly would be easy :o

Quite happy with the result considering that I too had the justification to buy a torque wrench to add into my arsenal :angel: Tomorrow I will continue with disassembly of the stabilizer, it seems to be making creaky noises on speed humps. Also rear brake inspection ...

Thanks all for the tips ! :wave:

Sorry to hi-jack but how would you know it's time to replace CV drive shaft as opposed to just the CV boots? Cheers, Nathan.

Do a full steering lock and drive around back and forth. If there is noise, then the cv joint is screwed and that will cost $250 from Honda dealer.

Dylanamus
20-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Try Autobarn and/or Repco. I found the outer CV boot kit for 88-91 Civic/CRX there... was under $30 if I recall correctly. Should definitely have one to suit your model. No harm in giving them a call first anyway...

Edit: post too late! haha nonetheless.. for anyone else reading...

Front stabilizer probably consist of ball joint or heim end links.. got the appropriate tools? I know I don't :(

Drew
20-07-2007, 10:19 PM
that will cost $250 from Honda dealer.

Try closer to $400...

Get your old shafts refitted with after market CVs for $80 per side instead

Blulude98
20-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Alas, after 160,000km of use the right outer CV boot of my civic has torn. I am planning to replace it myself, but having difficulty sourcing this CV Boot.

From RobertLane, it's $125 and non-stock item
From eBay it's $55 but a complete kit (boot & joint)

Is there anyplace I can buy this Outer CV Boot ? I initially thought it's quite an easy item to buy :o

I had the asme problem and got mine fully reconditioned and even respayed in black for $40.00. Are you in Melbourne? if so i can tell you where to go and have it done.

Drew
20-07-2007, 11:22 PM
Can't you read he's already done it himself

lines
21-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Try closer to $400...

Get your old shafts refitted with after market CVs for $80 per side instead

Thanks for the advice guys but unlike zx6r.j1 ,well done by the way, and probably most others here I'm not too mechanically minded as well as not having the right tools.

Drew, an earlier post suggests that you have a workshop. Would this job of getting my old CV refitted be something that you can possibly do? If so, I'd be very appreciative if you PM me a price and your workshop details.

Cheers. Nathan

Some advice for ppl wanting to do their own cv's, Ive done alot of them at work and have found what works and what doesnt. Try to stay away from the hard plastic type cv boot as they arnt flexible enough and do leak over time. The softer rubber type are much more reliable and dont leak as long as they aren't over filled with grease. Try not to over grease cv's as the boots will just swell and either tear or un-seal themselves from the joint. Cable ties are fine for a temporary fix although you should always use the proper straps that are available from any cv joint shop.

Blulude98
26-07-2007, 06:46 PM
Can't you read he's already done it himself

P*ss off you d*mc*nt!!

bennjamin
26-07-2007, 10:13 PM
closed. No need for spam or negative comments