PDA

View Full Version : Need Guide to full audio system upgrade

jas_kidd32
17-07-2007, 10:22 PM
How hard will it be to install the system myself? My car is a DC5R and I'm a car audio newbie. I need someone who can point me to the write direction in terms of installing this myself and some friends who've done installation in their cars. ATM, the car has:

- Pioneer Splits at the front
- 2 6x9 JL at the back which are mounted on a MDF
- RF mono block for the sub (but no sub)
- 50W 4CH jaycar amp under the front passenger seat
- CD changer

The thing is, I bought the car 2nd hand and don't like the setup at all and one of the tweeter at the front is busted. I hate the MDF at the back coz my boot is almost inaccessible so that's going.

I ordered a new pair of splits, 5CH amp, and a 10" sub. My plan is:
- Remove the MDF board from the boot and reconnect the stock rear speakers to the new amp
- Maybe put the amp in the boot

Here are some of the questions I have:
- Where is the best place to have the 5CH amp coz I don't think it'll fit under the seat anymore?
- I'm using sealed sub enclosure to save some boot space, so how can secure the box to my car without drilling too many holes?
- How hard is it to wire the stock rear speakers? Where do I find their wires?
- How can I secure the amp to my car? How complicated is it to rewire the amp to the batter? I'm assuming I'm gonna need a longer wire if I decide to put the amp in the boot.

Drew
17-07-2007, 10:59 PM
Ditch the 6x9s in favor of 6's

jas_kidd32
17-07-2007, 11:05 PM
Oh i'm losing the 6x9's already and using the stock rears instead.

solitz
18-07-2007, 03:08 PM
u dont have to ditch the 6x9 but since u are using a 5ch amp...id reccomend that u set the filters to HP on the splits and the 6x9 the LP for the sub channel...this is so that you dont have sub cancellation as sub and 6x9 are both designed for bass

if not u can ditch the 6x9 like drew said and then get a 2ch amp for ur splits and then a mono for the sub.

u can use heavy duty velcro for ur sub so u dont need to drill into the false floor.

also id reccomend that u position ur amp into the boot so it will have better cooling.

jas_kidd32
18-07-2007, 04:29 PM
I am ditching the 6x9's already and integrating all the speakers into a single 5ch amp.

Would I need to upgrade any of the power supply at this stage; like caps, alternator, battery, battery-amp connection?

solitz
19-07-2007, 08:51 AM
i dont think a cap will do much but ud rather off upgrade ur ground cables and then for battery amp connection...depends on what cable was there originally

can u give us specs of the amp ur gonna get?

jas_kidd32
19-07-2007, 09:19 AM
It's a MB Quart PAB5400

Power Output :
4 x 55 W RMS + 1 x 200 W @ 4 Ohms s
4 x 80 W RMS + 1 x 300 W @ 2 Ohms

Signal To Noise Ratio: > 72 dB
Input Signal: 0.2 - 6.0 V
Dimensions (W/H/D): 21.42 x 2.25 x 10.4 inch
Weight: 13.2 lbs

Drew
19-07-2007, 12:53 PM
u dont have to ditch the 6x9 but since u are using a 5ch amp...id reccomend that u set the filters to HP on the splits and the 6x9 the LP for the sub channel...this is so that you dont have sub cancellation as sub and 6x9 are both designed for bass

I was really telling him to ditch the 6*9s cause they are shit...

I've had 6's that put out more bass than most 6*9s could even dream of

Then again the 6's bass drivers on the speakers in the lounge rattle the windows in the neighbors house

Mattski_VTIR
19-07-2007, 02:13 PM
what u really want is some 7's in the doors :p :thumbsup:

Riviera
19-07-2007, 05:11 PM
7x10's instead of 6x9's

solitz
19-07-2007, 05:12 PM
I was really telling him to ditch the 6*9s cause they are shit...

I've had 6's that put out more bass than most 6*9s could even dream of

Then again the 6's bass drivers on the speakers in the lounge rattle the windows in the neighbors house

yeah i agree with you there drew id take 6" drivers over any 6x9 anyday but since he is gonna be running a sub they will provide no use anyway...so juts either HP them or yeah like drew said just get rid of them....but if u insist in having rear speakers then get some 6"....but ud like to spend a majority of ur budget on ur splits coz they are the speakers that you will be hearing the most at the front

GIPONU
20-07-2007, 05:33 PM
amp to battery = easy stuff. remember u also have the signal line from the h/u inot the amp.

and u can secure the amp in the boot. screw it into the rear seat and hide ur wires under the trim then tear a small hole at the connections so it'll look neater.

Drew
20-07-2007, 10:54 PM
7x10's instead of 6x9's

Just use subs instead of speakers...