PDA

View Full Version : general pod filters

andiiso
18-07-2007, 12:47 AM
At the moment i am deciding what to do with my air intake system, and was planning to do my own custom one, using a pod filter (dont ask why please lolz, and also dun worry about legal issues im gonna think about all them) this thread is just purely based on which pod filter (just the pod not the whole CAI or SRI system) universal or made for car (preferably ek4 (96-98) is better based on your own experience, or experiences with any if not allowed to say which you think is better, the only ones i know of at the moment are

HKS,
ApeXi,
BlitZ,
Top Fuel ??

So any comparison between them would be good and also any other ones you guys have experienced with.

Will the air pod, system etc or whatever i end up getting affect my air/fuel stuff. like ECU stuff and screw it up etc? or changing the intake system in anyway whether it be branded CAI, SRI system or my own system be fine and like i wont be gettin too much air or something ?

One more thing, what is a good size, is it "the bigger the better ?" or is there something to do with size aswell (like with exhaust systems) and im talking mainly about ek4's (96-98) for the size side of things.

thanks for any input on this guys and girls

andiiso
18-07-2007, 03:40 PM
anyone ??

supersamEK
18-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Adding pod filter wont make any changes in terms of ur ecu. it won't screw it up dont worry.
if your talking only about the pod filter. u won't find much difference between them they will all basically do the same thing and u could never tell the difference between them. the only factor to consider is the quality. the more u pay the better quality generally.
also consider if it is cleanable/reusable.
i would suggest K&N. world known quality, garuntee and is cleanable and fairly good price.

JDM_VTIR
18-07-2007, 07:09 PM
if you want the best performance pod filter... K&N is the best value for money. like supersameEK says...you won't see much differences between pod filters. you get what you pay for i guess. you're pretty much paying for durability and quality when it comes down to it really. cheers.

VtiKid
18-07-2007, 07:29 PM
A3 Racing was named number 1 in flow and 2 in filtering this year and ive seen em for 30bux if ur interested in a reliable cheap one(y)

andiiso
18-07-2007, 07:47 PM
ahkz cool guys, and what about the size of these things ? is it "the bigger the better" ??

SLOWEGG
18-07-2007, 07:56 PM
Just get one that fits. Bigger doesnt mean better.

andiiso
18-07-2007, 08:01 PM
for example apexi has 75mm 70mm and 80mm, they all fit into my car but which one would be optimal? and also i dont even know which side or where measuring from is the 70mm or 80mm

aaronng
18-07-2007, 10:40 PM
I use an Apexi. I prefer it because it is a dry pod and won't gunk up my throttle body like the oiled filters if you accidentally overoil it.

The 70, 75 and 80mm measurements are for the piping diameter of the adapter. Get one that is suitable for your intake pipe.

andiiso
18-07-2007, 10:50 PM
oh i see then, anyone happen to know the diameter of the intake pipe for ek4 96 ? stock one, im planning to use the stock intake pipe size and replicate it but use different material etc. for example stainless steel or something

Bayani
20-07-2007, 02:49 AM
Try looking up the legal aspect of having one fitted.

aaronng
20-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Yup, exposed pod in the engine bay not allowed in NSW.
Exposed oiled pod not allowed in VIC (but dry is alright if your car is EFI).

andiiso
20-07-2007, 06:58 PM
nah, not going exposed, going to be in a halfbox (tophalf) facing towards front bumper, and now im going for ApeXi, thanks for input guys

mrwillz
20-07-2007, 07:05 PM
u gota show me it ok andii
btw spotted ur car all coded now!
and c u nek friday i hope

andiiso
20-07-2007, 08:14 PM
haha what you mean all coded ?, and the intake will take me a while, cos i havta go to terrors god bros place to discuss it and price n all dat stuff which is in north melbourne haha

mrwillz
20-07-2007, 08:32 PM
color coded skirts