PDA

View Full Version : Artificial steering?

Euro76
18-07-2007, 09:55 AM
I'm quite curious why the Wheels magazine listed one of the Euro's disadvantage as having artificial steering? Did they mean the steering too light or not responsive or lack of European feel? I don't quite trust their reviews on Euro. I feel the steering wheel in my Euro is ok...I don't quite describe it as the Wheels described. And also does the Euro using drive -by-wire system?

aaronng
18-07-2007, 10:07 AM
The Euro's steering is still considered pretty light. Not as light as a Maxima, which has zero feel, but still lighter than say a BMW, which most reviewers use as the benchmark for mid-sized sedans.

The drive by wire is only for the throttle. Nothing else. Except maybe your aircon.

|N|
18-07-2007, 10:09 AM
i think most honda has this problem... lack of steering response.. thats wat i find anyway

bennjamin
18-07-2007, 10:13 AM
yup. Fix the problem with increasing castor (dunno if possible on a euro but works a charm on older hondas).
Most actual euro cars have a intended higher average cruising speed - that would be a reason for slightly more firm hold on the road. The euro is like any run about in Australia or asia

tron07
18-07-2007, 01:25 PM
I find the euro offer more feel compare to the camry (rental), new civic 1.8 and mazda 6 that I test drive... but them maybe I am bias...

petsfact
18-07-2007, 09:26 PM
the steering on euro is definately "artificial" ..... :P it doesn't feel as "part of you" as my gf's echo.

andiiso
18-07-2007, 09:40 PM
my civic was light on steering at start till i changed the tyre width, from 195 to 205, felt alot more stiff and like more realistic, before i changed it, it almost felt like a big 4wd car like the likes of mazda MPV, lexus RX330 stuff, all really light steering

aaronng
18-07-2007, 10:23 PM
the steering on euro is definately "artificial" ..... :P it doesn't feel as "part of you" as my gf's echo.
The Echo sedan's steering is horrendously light. It's MUCHMUCH worse than the Euro. Worse than the Maxima too.

r-r-redEuro
18-07-2007, 10:49 PM
lol for a nooblette like me i find it very good its perfect stiffness as a stock for me. i guess its all about your own opinion on it.
my girlfriend drives a bmw 320i 07' and i find it really stiff sometimes when its on idle,( reverse parking, etc.) i find it like they dont have any power steeering lol. as for my dads kluger its VERY light.

tony1234
19-07-2007, 07:48 AM
I think "artificial"is a bit harsh in the description of the Euros steering.It is a little light at high speed cruising but overall it's not bad.

SPQR
20-07-2007, 10:32 PM
I find the steering a bit light but it suits me in my "old" age. I find that it loads up and points very well when you go hard into corners. It's a bit vague while cruising at high speed and at ultra high speed (when it was legal here), it was a handful to control.

Drew
20-07-2007, 10:45 PM
And also does the Euro using drive -by-wire system?

Only the NSX and S2000's have EPS which is Electronic Power Steering
And my Accord Wagon :P

aaronng
21-07-2007, 12:08 AM
^^ true that. When anyone says drive-by-wire and Euro, they actually mean the electronic throttle. I wonder why don't they just call it the electronic throttle? Drive-by-wire is so misleading.

Drew
21-07-2007, 01:16 AM
EPS is great anyway; so much more direct than normal power steering

Sure you don't fell all the bumps n shit on the road but thats what makes it even better...

sodaz
21-07-2007, 01:28 AM
The Echo sedan's steering is horrendously light. It's MUCHMUCH worse than the Euro. Worse than the Maxima too.

I agree 100%. Toyota's tend to be excessive with their power steering setup. The Corolla, Camry and even the Aurion have this problem from my experience.

tknova
21-07-2007, 08:52 AM
Just put on some heavy 19 inch wheels :)

aaronng
21-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Also, check your front toe. Most tyre places put about 1-2mm total toe in to counter any drifting and to make the car more stable. As a result, the steering is lighter and there is a deadspot around the middle. Spec is 0mm, while I use 0.6mm toe out (0.3mm on each side). Very good steering response but my car will follow cambered road.

luxobarge
01-08-2007, 04:51 PM
I havent read the wheels article but when they say it feels artificial i dont think they are talking about the steering being light.

IMO the steering is weighted very well and is quite responsive, its actually heavier than the steering in our mx5 (which has p/s) and is just about as responsive, it only lacks the feel of the mx5.

...which brings me onto my next observation...

One thing i did notice with the steering is the electronic assistance being fed into the wheel mid corner. I notice it most when going around long sweepers, the steering will become loose then all of a sudden electronic force will be applied to pull the wheel back (nothing much but noticeable through the palms), all of a sudden its loose again and the cycle continues.

Is this typical of the Euro's?

aaronng
01-08-2007, 08:39 PM
One thing i did notice with the steering is the electronic assistance being fed into the wheel mid corner. I notice it most when going around long sweepers, the steering will become loose then all of a sudden electronic force will be applied to pull the wheel back (nothing much but noticeable through the palms), all of a sudden its loose again and the cycle continues.

Is this typical of the Euro's?

Did you have VSA on? It could be the VSA detecting slight understeer and applying some brake to the inner wheel.

Also, the Euro has hydraulic power steering. No electronic/electrical assistance there.

luxobarge
02-08-2007, 08:30 AM
VSA was on, i basically just cruising around a long corner. No chance of understeer at the speed i was doing.

Was reading the earlier posts stating that they do not have electronic assisted steering (which is what it feels like). Ill see what happens after a service and wheel alignment (ive only had the car for a week).

aaronng
02-08-2007, 08:37 AM
VSA was on, i basically just cruising around a long corner. No chance of understeer at the speed i was doing.

Was reading the earlier posts stating that they do not have electronic assisted steering (which is what it feels like). Ill see what happens after a service and wheel alignment (ive only had the car for a week).

If you got your car 2nd hand, do get a wheel alignment done and get the details on paper. All they can adjust is toe at the front (and very slightly in the rear)

EuroDude
02-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Ive driven the Jazz and Accord Vti and both of these cars had much more artificial steering than the Euro. Especially the Accord - possibly because of the stock wheels+tyres and soft suspension

Its true that the first time you drive the Euro, you may notice the steering is a bit indirect, but once you get used to it and know how the steering behaves exactly, it becomes very direct and natural, even more so if you have the 17" rims and 7" width tyres