PDA

View Full Version : Oil Level

Barge Ass
19-07-2007, 03:37 AM
I just got back from a spin and came inside for about 20 to 30 mins then decided to check my oil levels. Is that too long to wait?
The engine was quite warm still. Anyways it seemed that the oil was too high. What are the consequences of that and how should I rectify them?

DLO01
19-07-2007, 06:33 AM
20-30 mins is fine. You just want the oil to settle in the sump before you measure it, theres no problems if you wait longer.

Did you take the dip stick out, wipe it and try it again? Its definatly over?

If it is too high, I would just drain some.

If its a little over the top mark its fine. If its way over filled, it will either burn it up or push it out seals. Best to drain some.

Barge Ass
19-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Yep I took it out several times and wiped it then dipped it all the way. The level was about half to 2 thirds a cm above the top level.

EK4R
19-07-2007, 01:10 PM
20-30 mins is fine. You just want the oil to settle in the sump before you measure it, theres no problems if you wait longer.

if you wait any longer , isnt that the same as measuring your oil when its cold?

i thought you are meant to start your engine for 1 second then turn it off and check the oil levels??? :confused:

DLO01
19-07-2007, 02:13 PM
I have heard different methods.

I measure mine either when its cold or at least 10mins after I have driven it to the top mark on the dipstick.

If its 5mm or a little more over the top mark, I am sure it will be fine.

dc2r
19-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Half a cm over the top line/dot is fine...
And you only have to wait 5 minutes before checking it...