PDA

View Full Version : Review of Euro (04) after 99,954 kms

adammet04
19-07-2007, 02:45 PM
hi all,

here is my feelings of the car after almost 100,000k behind the wheel,

not sure where other people are at with their car, but i get the feeling (k's wise) i am in a league of very few (or maybe on my own :) )

Im guessing this might get moved because it is a review, but it is model specific so lets see where it ends up :)

Chronological (by K's)
------------
The car has been very good to drive, i still remember the first trip i did in it, which was to the east gippsland (about 300kms) and the rain was terrible and windy . The car handled very well in the trip and ride comfort was great.

After about 3000 ks i had ssues with the steering, this took honda dealership and myself about 20,000ks before i came to realisation that the tyres i had were no good (the tread had warped slightly causing erratic and drifting to one side Alignment was out, fixed then new tires fixed this.

40,000 - replaced rear pads (aftermarket).

50,000-68000 - steering wheel shake issues (on braking) and drifting to one side issues.

70,000 - window motor on drivers side broke (possibly due to vandalism and or cold and or regular usage, replaced tires as well. Machined discs and replaced front pads (aftermarket item)..steering wheel shake gone !!,

90,000 - attempted to replace the parker lights on my car by accessing them via the wheel arches and the black plastic clips broke..clearly a wear and tear thing.

Negatives:
My biggest gripe about the car has been the steeering issues, and moreover probably the amount of time spent on trying to fix the issue.

The other thing (and this is hard to explain) is while i like the paint job the car came out with from the factory, the paint doesnt seem to have weathered nearly as well as a black CRV (02 model) i had prior. i dont know if this is because the car is closer to the ground than the CRV or what.. but the number of chips i have now compared to the number i had on the CRV is astounding (probably in the realms of 6x more on the euro). some people have said to me the paint is 'soft' and more prone to this..

Headlights should have been brighter (bigger) (only have std edition)

Positives:
Handling (unmodded) is amazing as far as im concerned from a vehicle at this price....as of now i have the rsb, strut bar and springs (60,000k old now) and the car has been improved by these modifications (imho).

comfort inside the cabin is still great , the seats still feel like new , the carpet for the mats has worn well

no vibrations/squeaking/shakes in the cabin (unless music is cranked up)..

The engine still feels very much the same as it did 10k ago, 20k ago, 50k ago..slightly louder noises coming from engine but this is possibly due to mods.

The auto transmission still works just as well as it did when i first took ownership, sports shift (tiptronic) or whatever you want to call it, still works fine.

Other:

No (visible) rust that i can see..yay!
cant think of anything else at the moment.

overall im still happy with the car and cant see myself trading in for newer/different model at the moment.
looking forward to another 100,000 in the car :)

cheers

Ads

rhettzor
19-07-2007, 02:59 PM
Nice adammet04!

Its not often we get some real-world feedback from someone who has done 100k. This is good for all the current Euro owners to know, and great for those thinking of buying a Euro.

Like yourself, i travel a lot in my Euro, so far i've done 61k and owned it for just over a year. Thankfully i haven't had any major issues (apart from an early wheel alignment issue, and who hasnt had that issue?), and the car is still fun to drive, comfortable, and reliable. I service it every 10k and if i keep that up im sure it will hold itself together and stay in good condition for a long time to come! :D

The built quality is very evident in the Euro!

adammet04
19-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Agreed about the servicing etc and build quality..

i havent owned too manyother cars in my life, but everything is still hanging together tightly in the car..

i have also serviced every 10 ks as well...with no issues reported from the dealer, re under body suspension etc.

cheers

SiReal
19-07-2007, 04:01 PM
nice one ads, when i do buy my euro, its comforting to know 100K kms isnt too bad.

Atjo
19-07-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm halfway to 100km after 3 years :)

yfin
19-07-2007, 07:31 PM
nice post adam

mugen88
19-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Thanks for sharing the experience and well written. :)

LT178
20-07-2007, 09:09 AM
Damn, 100k km already in an 04 Euro!! I bought mine the same year and I'm just shy of 40k km.......long way yet for me to go!

EuroDude
20-07-2007, 09:23 AM
The rear pads were changed? Wouldnt the front pads go first?

adammet04
20-07-2007, 09:47 AM
no..my rear pads went first..i dont know why it was like this either :)

its possible at some stage during the services the front pads were changed (while under warranty) and i did not pick up on it, to try and fix the steering wheel shake issue.

adammet04
20-07-2007, 09:48 AM
edited post to reflect when i changed my front pads to aftermarket

Atjo
20-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Same as mine, my rear pads needs to be changed first.

20-07-2007, 12:18 PM
great post,

all wheels, motor mags etc have reviews about cars they drive for a day a two, what i always want to know is how the car is a few years later after a good amount of k's, 3 years and 100kms is great. makes me feel i made a good choice.

euro77
20-07-2007, 06:02 PM
same here as well, when I changed my pads with an aftermarket ones, there are more wear on the rear compared to the front.

aaronng
20-07-2007, 06:28 PM
If you do lots of freeway/highway kms, then the rear wears first. In my case, I did mostly city driving, so my fronts wore about the same as the rear.

SPQR
20-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Good post Adammet04. Reassuring and also notable that yours had the common problems. My 04 has done 56K so far. I've owned 9 cars in 28 years (of legal driving); 6 from new. The Euro is definitely the best built by far.

petsfact
21-07-2007, 12:19 PM
i also just done my 50000km service today, rear pad gone, replaced it with honda pad again, but front pad is still pretty much brand new from previous replacement to 06 pad due to shuddering....

guess what shuddering is back so the service guy will try to negotiate with honda for replacing front set disks and pad all together under warranty. I think they probably find there is no meat left for machining on the front after 3 services...........

exISeuro
21-07-2007, 06:04 PM
I too can vouch positively for an aged Euro
My late 04 has done 102xxx kms.

It has been a relatively trouble free 2.5 years despite seeing redline everytime it's driven.

It's on its 3rd set of brake pads and 6th set of tyres.

It has survived through alot, although i am on my 2nd transmission due to all that abuse ;).

yfin
21-07-2007, 06:06 PM
I too can vouch positively for an aged Euro
My late 04 has done 102xxx kms.

It has been a relatively trouble free 2.5 years despite seeing redline everytime it's driven.

It's on its 3rd set of brake pads and 6th set of tyres.

It has survived through alot, although i am on my 2nd transmission due to all that abuse ;).

Your auto was replaced under warranty?

exISeuro
21-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Yep.
Fully replaced after 2 failed attempts at repair.

Honda Australia's first case of this kind, never heard of before.

Took a while, individual components taking weeks at a time to arrive from JP.
They ended up using a new tranny from the Melb? factory.

V205
21-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Adam,

Is your drift resolved after changing to a different tyre? Is your issue the same as the one mentioned in the long thread "Does you euro have a drift to one side tendency?"

Edit: clarity

bigbuddha
24-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Hello All,

I haven't posted on this forum is a very very very long time. Actually I probably don't even deserve to be on this section of the forums anymore ... more details on that later.

but anways, i've driven my EURO 04 for 130,000kms

and all I can say is that kinda like that line in TRANSFORMERS, the driver doesn't choose the car, the car chooses the driver, that's how I feel about my Artic Blue Euro ..

It's such an awesome car and the only trouble I've ever had with it has been at 120,000 kms the driver side lock wouldn't work probably using the lock button on my key.

I had to manually lock the car ... no biggie .. 120kms use and that's the only problem, i'd call that a pretty good run ...

It's still smooth as to ride, the sound system still rocks (Alpine HU, 2 amps, boston acoustic speakers), still REV's to vtech and i love it when it kicks in ...

Sometimes I forget how good the car is to drive, but as soon as I go interstate for a while or drive another car, I immediately feel the difference and even more so when I drive my Euro again.

Anways, it's with some regret that I've traded in my EURO after 130,000KMS of awesome driving experience and will settle into a CIVIC Sports 07 ... but I have a feeling i'll be returning to the Euro once the new body is released in the next couple of years .. and I can't WAIT FOR IT .. c'mon HONDA bring me the goods. heheheheh

adammet04
25-07-2007, 04:32 PM
Adam,

Is your drift resolved after changing to a different tyre? Is your issue the same as the one mentioned in the long thread "Does you euro have a drift to one side tendency?"

Edit: clarity

changing my tires defintely improved the situation and a wheel alignment / balancing helped as well..the car does drive straight..I started on some no name tires and non stock wheels..my issue got better when i moved to some better (more expensive) tires.

i do recall now, that after a service (which they rotated the tyres) the car got worse , took it to a tyre place and they re balanced and aligned the wheels and the car was fine from then on in..

I read through ssome of that thread, and in my opinion, that balancing and alignment and tyres that dont warp do wonders for the car !!..

does this help answer your question ? if not let me know..

cheers

tanalasta
04-11-2007, 11:56 PM
Hmm... hitting the 40000km service soon and nice to hear how the Euro has been doing in the longer haul.

Any recommendations for aftermarket brake pads for an Euro that don't generate as much brake dust than the OEM Honda? I'm interested more in longevity rather than pads that will only last 20000km. Thinking Endless at the moment but happy to take recommendations.

I've also had some steering/drifting problems on mine which were fixed after a tyre change to Continentals C-drives and alignment/camber adjustments. Some wind-noise from the driver's window seal probably secondary to the tinting (dealer / Tint-a-Car outsourced job). Transmission (auto) is a bit jerky from 1st to 2nd but I'm probably due for a transmission fluid change.

EuroDude
05-11-2007, 05:03 PM
tyre change to Continentals C-drives

erm you mean Yokohama C-Drives

tanalasta
05-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Oops... yes I do.