PDA

View Full Version : SRI vs CAI

denot
19-07-2007, 04:40 PM
I have seen some threads that talking a lil bit about their differences... but I want to know more since I was thinking to buy a Fujita SRI for my Civic FD (since its an Auto).

So what are the pro n cons between this two?

Thanks heaps!!!

Riviera
19-07-2007, 04:58 PM
SRI

Pro's:

Less Work
Easier access to the filter for replacement or different brand replacement
Dont have to Remove the Bumper to get the resonator out lol
Faster Response
More after market designs different style of intake e.g whales penile for 'integras'.

Con's:

Absorbing Warm/Hot Air
Just recently found out 'unless it has a shield or is boxed its illegal. fire hazard the particles are flamable...'

click here to add more

CAI

Pro's:

Less Engine Clutter all u see is piping unless designing an airbox for the filter.
Cold air is always being absorbed.

Con's:

More Work, more work = more $$$ if u dont mind then 'backspace'

One of the following items will have to be removed, bumper, tyre, mudguard...

Water lock; will be had if u ever decide to drive through a deep enough
flood or puddle, this problem can be avoided by installing a bypass filter but
u know theyre ugly and when ur fanging it hot air will be getting sucked
through it no matter what, whether the intake it submerged or not...

click here to add more

Now i dont know which one is louder an SRI or a CAI, whether that is a pro or con is up to you

I would say the SRI would be louder being closer to the TB Throttle body but
then i have had a car with a CAI

Joeyboy
19-07-2007, 08:17 PM
link that may help (which is a sticky in the Nood Forum)

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42865

aimre
19-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Cons: They cost over $200 and only give .5kw gain.

I have yet to go in a car where i have felt the diffrence of any sorta cold air induction. Although they sound alright

kazam
19-07-2007, 09:18 PM
SRI definently sounds better coz it sits in the engine bay! i have SRI and it sounds a million times better than stock box... in terms of gains... on a freezing night, even with SRI without a box your car feels smoother.. and dont belive people, no matter what they say, Gains will not be felt... THEY WILL NOT BE FELT!

bennjamin
19-07-2007, 09:23 PM
yup. A CAI of any type does NOT increase HP at all.
Only a aftermarket computer with tuning can take advantage of "more air" that a CAI or similar can allow. THEN there might be results on say a highly modded engine....say stock intake vs SRI or CAI

dc2r
19-07-2007, 09:27 PM
SRI: bads: illegal, heatsoak... goods: sound, cheap...

CAI: bads: none really, don't believe hydrolock myth... 99% can never happen unless you have a nasty cheap CAI... can also be expensive depending what brand you get... goods: everything else...

aimre
19-07-2007, 11:08 PM
SRI: bads: illegal, heatsoak... goods: sound, cheap...

CAI: bads: none really, except no real gains, don't believe hydrolock myth... 99% can never happen unless you have a nasty cheap CAI... can also be expensive depending what brand you get... goods: everything else...

fixed

denot
20-07-2007, 09:38 AM

I have yet to go in a car where i have felt the diffrence of any sorta cold air induction. Although they sound alright

I assume u talking about CAI? Anyway, no real gain felt... any loss felt?

kn1ghtm4r3
20-07-2007, 12:24 PM

i dunno if thats true. I have a friend who i will not name lol but before sri he was making about 96 or so kw and then putting in a custom made sri his dyno bumped him up to 100kw =9 .

could be other factors but everythnig else was the same only he put in a new sri :p

But hey it sounds awesome lol

kookie
20-07-2007, 12:33 PM
yup. A CAI of any type does NOT increase HP at all.
Only a aftermarket computer with tuning can take advantage of "more air" that a CAI or similar can allow. THEN there might be results on say a highly modded engine....say stock intake vs SRI or CAI

I think your wrong there.
I had stock and then put Injen CAI and i had a 5kw top end gain. You do not need aftermarket computer to see the gains, but if you did you will make more use of it.

Depending on what your needs are if you like throttle response stay with a SRI, but be prepared to suffer from heatsoak. If you like high end gains get a CAI as this will give you good top end, but low to mid will suffer and response will not be as good as stock/SRI.

kn1ghtm4r3
20-07-2007, 01:03 PM
I think your wrong there.
I had stock and then put Injen CAI and i had a 5kw top end gain. You do not need aftermarket computer to see the gains, but if you did you will make more use of it.

Depending on what your needs are if you like throttle response stay with a SRI, but be prepared to suffer from heatsoak. If you like high end gains get a CAI as this will give you good top end, but low to mid will suffer and response will not be as good as stock/SRI.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

JasonGilholme
20-07-2007, 01:17 PM
SRI :thumbdwn:
CAI :thumbsup:

They do have dyno proven performance gains.

denot
20-07-2007, 01:18 PM

Nice... I prefer to have a better accel (start from a red light as example :p), so I think I should go with SRI? I think I need to make a custom Airbox for cold air? Will this help? If I make one from stainless steel, will it be ok?

JasonGilholme
20-07-2007, 01:22 PM
SRI won't give you the low down torque that you want.

Better off getting a CAI and then a 4-2-1 header for the low down torque. Don't waste your time with the intake. Theres more gains to be had from a descent set of headers. :thumbsup:

kn1ghtm4r3
20-07-2007, 01:46 PM
yeah but to get the best out of it id suggest you go for the whole package i/h/e =)

denot
20-07-2007, 02:04 PM
The hardest bit for me is because:
1. My Civic Sports is just out, hard to find a good part that suitable for it
2. Its an AUTO!!!!! T-T

Even Fujita/Injen doesnt have any intake for Auto model of the new Civic... T-T

JasonGilholme
20-07-2007, 02:29 PM
intake should be the same for auto or manual. Unless something that controls the auto box is in the way.

denot
20-07-2007, 02:42 PM
intake should be the same for auto or manual. Unless something that controls the auto box is in the way.

Well... this is what Fujita website told...

CA-1920 2006 Civic Dx, Lx, Ex, Cold Air, Manual Only DYNO Image

Taken from:
http://www.f5air.com/applications.html

JasonGilholme
20-07-2007, 02:58 PM
could mean that the dyno is from a manual car cause there is a big difference in power between the manual and auto gear boxes.

denot
20-07-2007, 03:11 PM
ooo... so that means that I can apply this CAI into the Auto model as well then... (not like what our traders here in this forum said to me last time)

JasonGilholme
20-07-2007, 03:18 PM
i don't know 100%. But their wording doesn't specifically say that the intake won't fit an auto model.

probably best to ring up/email the manufacturer and check. Suppliers hardly ever know everything about a product they sell whereas the manufacturer will.

denot
20-07-2007, 03:20 PM
i don't know 100%. But their wording doesn't specifically say that the intake won't fit an auto model.

probably best to ring up/email the manufacturer and check. Suppliers hardly ever know everything about a product they sell whereas the manufacturer will.

one thing for sure is that Injen/Fujita made the CAI for Civic SI, not our civic... but I sent an email to them already... hopefully they'll reply...