PDA

View Full Version : VTEC question

TypeRice
19-07-2007, 06:24 PM
for those who have VTEC in their cars..

what gear do u usually use to rev it up till you hit VTEC?

1 or 2?

and whilst driving in vtec mode.. if u shift up a gear to 3 .. the revs will fall.. hence no more VTEC.. and car doesnt go as fast n e more right?

plz explain ^^

also in order to engage in VTEC.. you'll have to be driving very fast, in order for the revs to go up?

|N|
19-07-2007, 06:30 PM

1 or 2?

and whilst driving in vtec mode.. if u shift up a gear to 3 .. the revs will fall.. hence no more VTEC.. and car doesnt go as fast n e more right?

plz explain ^^

also in order to engage in VTEC.. you'll have to be driving very fast, in order for the revs to go up?

-__-"

Mr_will
19-07-2007, 06:31 PM
VTEC engages at a specific rpm. it is independent of throttle pressure.

sounds like you need to read up on it a little more

m3ntAL_l2
19-07-2007, 06:32 PM
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeR.

TypeRice
19-07-2007, 06:33 PM
wat im saying is at that specific rpm.. vtec will engage.. then when u change to a higher gear.. obviously the revs would fall.. so does that mean vtec would disengage ?

Vinnie
19-07-2007, 06:35 PM
vtec is not a 'mode', it is merely a form of variable valve technology that engages at a certain rev point, regardless of gear or level of acceleration. it does not make a car 'fast'.

that said i wonder why i still reply to ur threads seriously...

Rivic
19-07-2007, 06:40 PM
as said above ur valve timming electronic controll (or vtec) engages at a certain higher rpm its the same rpm not matter wotegear or anyhting its set in ur computer in the car to activate oil pressure for it to engage, if your reving at say 7000RPM in 1st and 2nd gear then go to third, like u have in the last 2 gears it will reach a certain rpm and engage again, differnt honda engines have vtec at different rpm.. google vtec heaps off info on there about DOHC VTEC, SOHC, I-VTEC etc..

Mr_will
19-07-2007, 06:41 PM
you all deserve -rep for that shit.

he obviously just doesnt understand that VTEC is just another cam profile which becomes active over a certain predetermined RPM.

Kiz_EG6
19-07-2007, 07:22 PM

1 or 2?

ALL of them :p

Also, the vtecs i've owned if you shift at the redline or thereabouts then your revs will not drop below the vtec point, therefore you will stay in vtec through the gears!

TypeRice
19-07-2007, 07:35 PM
^ what happens when vtec engages..?

do you feel n e difference in driving?

Kiz_EG6
19-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Sure man, it's not like a turbo kick, but the engine note completely changes from a grocery getting 4cyl to an absolute screamer!

Not so much in my type R, but in my EG (no LSD) it can sometimes spin the wheels (or wheel :) ) when it kicks in, depending on the surface i'm on.

You've really gotta experience it man, lets just say that there is a good reason that so many ppl are obsessive bout these cars!

If Honda had not released V-TEC, then i would probably not be driving one!

Yasakani
19-07-2007, 08:39 PM
-__-"

+1

I soooo see this going on that webpage with those Honda driver quotes. :zip:

TypeRice, YOU'RE GONNA BE FAMOUS y0! :wave:

TypeRice
19-07-2007, 08:53 PM
^ realli? wats the website url? ^_^

sitta
19-07-2007, 11:37 PM
My fren from hongkong told me when dc2r vtec kicks in in the mountain side in hongkong no car can keep up

Encor3
19-07-2007, 11:41 PM
My fren from hongkong told me when dc2r vtec kicks in in the mountain side in hongkong no car can keep up

sure ;)

remembering that in mountain racing its not about performance at all.. its about the handling capabilities of the car... which vtec does nothing..

this thread is kinda stupid to be honest ... vtec is just a change in valve timings.. thats it.. it wont give you awesome power, just a little bit more. even if you are out of the vtec zone doesn't matter.. 2nd gear max is ~ 100 and thats in vtec, 3rd gear can go up a lot higher.

so if your racing someone u can stay in vtec but you'll be limited by your gear\speedif you do so.

civic_mods
19-07-2007, 11:48 PM
+1

I soooo see this going on that webpage with those Honda driver quotes. :zip:

TypeRice, YOU'RE GONNA BE FAMOUS y0! :wave:

lol i bet ya he is famous enuff :p

dupac->
19-07-2007, 11:57 PM
*slaps forehead*

Yasakani
20-07-2007, 12:27 AM
lol i bet ya he is famous enuff :p

What for?
You mean his already quoted on the site?

dc2dc2dc2
20-07-2007, 01:30 PM
i was gonna delete all the spam.
But then i decieded this thread is stupid.
There are plenty of threads on how VTEC works.