PDA

View Full Version : Hill Starts/ Clutch Wear

Barge Ass
19-07-2007, 06:25 PM
What's the cheapest/safest way to do a steep hill starts? Taking into account clutch wear mostly. Some people just hold it there at the friction point but that doesn't sound good. I've read its best to use as little clutch as possible but it's real hard when doing a tight reverse park is practice just the key?

Mr_will
19-07-2007, 06:34 PM
the clutch is a consumable item, and its functions are to transfer power to the wheels, as well as slip, to allow you to get going in the first place and change gears.

you should let the clutch out until you are moving as quickly as you need to be, in reverse.

too little clutch and youll be revving too high

too much clutch and you will lug or stall

in answer to your question, there is no specific RPM, because it varies with the gradient of the hill you are talking about.

i live on a fairly steep hill, and when i stop at the intersection i only need to be at 1500rpm, then gradually slip the clutch. if i wanted to be all 'cool' and drop the clutch, id need to be revving much higher to avoid stalling, but thats not my thing.

id say if you are revving above 2000rpm you are probably not letting the clutch out enough, and if you are below 1000, probably too much clutch. that would be about right for my car, but it is a da9 with a different gearbox to yours

denot
20-07-2007, 03:21 PM
I always tell my g/f to just use the handbrake... :p

JasonGilholme
20-07-2007, 04:37 PM
hand brake for hill starts mate. Don't sit there at friction point until the lights turn green or watever.

r0b3rt
20-07-2007, 05:42 PM
I agree for hill starts handbrake seems to be easiest.

What i do is leave the handbrake up then find the friction point. Once found you should be able to feel the car wanting to move forward slightly, then once you feel this release the handbrake.

Not sure if its good practise but i dont do it as so the car will move forward even with the handbrake on, im usually at pretty low revs when i do this 1-1.5k