PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Engine Conversion

piassh
20-07-2007, 01:12 AM
My friend's engine recently got into some trouble which makes him decide to do an engine swap.

Would like to know what are the hidden cost in doing engine swap.

He's currently driving and EG breeze and he wants to swap a D16A in it.
Base on my knowledge, he needs to do a carb to EFI, drive shaft, ECU, gearbox, etc. conversion.

Other than paying for the price for an engine package, what are the rest?
How much does an engineering cert cost?
Should he inform RTA about this and what RTA normally charge?
How much does mechanic charge you for such conversion?
We're quite confuse with the procedure and the cost behind it.

He needs to prepare that amount of money before he commit into it.

JDM_VTIR
20-07-2007, 02:06 PM
If hes got money to burn tell him to chuck in a K20A FTW instead! with all engine swaps, he'll need to get a engineers certificate which will roughly cost him $500 - $1000 depending on the modifications and where you get your engineers certificate. i know a mate of mine who converted his gsr to full evo 3 running gear conversion for about $1000~ for the certificate.

As for the mechanics...they range from $1000~+ for installation. I can't give you an exact price for this specific conversion but it gives you a rough idea on how much you're going to spend and if it's the wise thing to do if on a budget.

Have at look at this link from the RTA site. It gives you and idea on whats required in an engine swap. http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi06.pdf

Hope this helps. Cheers.

piassh
20-07-2007, 02:24 PM
So am I right to say that Engineer Certificate would be issued by the mechanic to me or I got to get it from RTA before or after the engine swap?
If he can swap in a K20A I doubt he would be so concern about the hidden cost behind haha...

Any mechanics that you guys out there can recommend for his engine swap that will do all those admin stuff for him.
I intend to let go my wrecked EG Si to him for his engine swap.ie: D16A8 into his breeze.

Dylanamus
20-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Someone who is looking at swapping in a d16a is probably far too sensible to consider a k20a conversion, which only people with more money than sense can do...

I personally don't know anything about the model of car your mate has, but what you want to know is, if the intended engine is a part of the same series or was released in the same chasis at the factory, you could get away with the swap without a certificate and your road authority won't know the difference...

Just so you know mate, this k20a idea will cost your friend $10k+ MORE than the d16a conversion....

The biggest pain will be the re-wiring... if after an economical solution, why not just replace the rooted section of the engine?

piassh
20-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Sorry man, he definitely need an engineering certificate. EG breeze is a 1.3L SOHC Carb Engine. EG Si is a 1.6 DOHC EFI Engine.
I foresee that the conversion can be complicated and expensive.
We are currently looking for mechanics that is able to do such conversion.

Dylanamus
20-07-2007, 11:08 PM
What's wrong with the engine in the Breeze?

shadou
21-07-2007, 12:31 AM
thought you didn't need a certificate on swaps if the engine came out in the the same chassis.

piassh
21-07-2007, 12:32 AM
No...
EG Si is a EG5 Chassis
EG Breeze is a EG1 Chassis

defect
21-07-2007, 05:01 AM
i really doubt that you'll have any troubles getting that blue slipped.

Sexc86
21-07-2007, 08:49 AM
Someone who is looking at swapping in a d16a is probably far too sensible to consider a k20a conversion, which only people with more money than sense can do...

I personally don't know anything about the model of car your mate has, but what you want to know is, if the intended engine is a part of the same series or was released in the same chasis at the factory, you could get away with the swap without a certificate and your road authority won't know the difference...

Just so you know mate, this k20a idea will cost your friend $10k+ MORE than the d16a conversion....

The biggest pain will be the re-wiring... if after an economical solution, why not just replace the rooted section of the engine?

agreed...
also try make sure the engine is newer the then chassis... will make life easier it terms of legalaties.... good luck with everything buddy