PDA

View Full Version : need a clutch kit for my 91' civic

tiksie
22-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Noob here, just recently bought a 91 model honda civic, it looks like the 92 93 94 etc before the EK model ? Anyway heres a pic of it:

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/7379/2406399gh8.jpg

It's a 1.5l (thats what it writes on the transfer papers) 1991 honda civic GL engine capacity 1493.0.

ANYWAY, putting down all the info, how much would a clutch kit cost for this as the clutch is really worn out on it and has a tiny bit of life left in her.

I am in Sydney aswell if that helps.

Cheers.

JDM_VTIR
23-07-2007, 09:21 AM
hey there buddy. if your cars for normal day to day driving i suggest you get the "heavy duty cushioned button clutch"...it's easy on the clutch and performs just as well as the "heavy duty". a few of my mates are running them on their cars and they're quite good. around $700 for them. cheers.
http://www.exedy.com.au/sports_tuff.htm

TheSaint
23-07-2007, 10:00 AM
good reading there, thanx for the link =)

JDM_VTIR
23-07-2007, 11:29 AM
see a good post? 1+ rep :)

tiksie
23-07-2007, 12:36 PM
The problem with the clutch is that when im pulling the clutch back up after putting it into gear, it has to be near normal for the gear to engage if you know what I mean, does that mean that the clutch is gone ? Someone told me to tighten the clutch cable and that the issue is with the clutch cable ?

Cheers.

Kiz_EG6
23-07-2007, 12:52 PM
The problem with the clutch is that when im pulling the clutch back up after putting it into gear, it has to be near normal for the gear to engage if you know what I mean, does that mean that the clutch is gone ? Someone told me to tighten the clutch cable and that the issue is with the clutch cable ?

Cheers.

Hey man, i wouldn't jump straight in and replace it just because of that, it may just need an adjustment, if it has not been previously adjusted out, then you may find that there's a good 20 - 30,000 k's of meat left on her!

Kiz_EG6
23-07-2007, 12:56 PM
hey there buddy. if your cars for normal day to day driving i suggest you get the "heavy duty cushioned button clutch"...it's easy on the clutch and performs just as well as the "heavy duty". a few of my mates are running them on their cars and they're quite good. around $700 for them. cheers.
http://www.exedy.com.au/sports_tuff.htm

Dude are you for real!?!

No offence intended to "Tiksie" bout the car, but if you think that someone needs a button clutch, cushioned or not for a stock 1.5l carby, then you need to get ur head examined!
Seriously, do some research before you go chasing rep points!

Tiksie, if you do want a bit more performance out of ur clutch then i would go at most an organic heavy duty, maybe from Extreme (supplied by adelaide clutch co.), this will be more than sufficient for your little beast!

tiksie
23-07-2007, 05:01 PM
Hey guys, nah im not really after anything WHOA for it, its only a 91 model EG so im not going to modify it anymore then it already is.

I just want a clutch that would do the job, how much would it cost to get the clutch adjusted ? Because it drives fine, its just the clutch puts the gear in when the clutch is all the way near the top..

Cheers for the info fellas!

Kiz_EG6
23-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Hey guys, nah im not really after anything WHOA for it, its only a 91 model EG so im not going to modify it anymore then it already is.

I just want a clutch that would do the job, how much would it cost to get the clutch adjusted ? Because it drives fine, its just the clutch puts the gear in when the clutch is all the way near the top..

Cheers for the info fellas!

As i thought man, don't even think bout blowing $700 odd on a button clutch (which as it is is a rip off anyway!!), all you need is an OE replacement!

Any mechanic can adjust your clutch if you just roll in, it'll take 2 min, or if you have any mates with a bit of mechaincal know how.
Most mechanics would not even charge you, as it is a simple job and they want you to go away feeling like you have been looked after so you go back there! good business :))

tiksie
23-07-2007, 07:56 PM
Cheers for the info mate, I will be seeing a few mechanics in the days ahead and I will let you know how it all goes!

Saying that it needs "adjusting" what do they actually adjust ?

Sorry about the nooby questions :D

Benson
23-07-2007, 07:56 PM
EG runs a hydraulic clutch system. Dont know how you can adjust that. Maybe bleed the clutch fluid.

Button clutch for as 1.5l carby is too extreme. As said above OEM replacement is the best.

tiksie
23-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Lol, getting all of this different information!

I will see if it can be adjusted, if not, how much would a OEM replacement set me back ? Just for the clutch kit ?

leeepa
24-07-2007, 12:54 AM
The problem with the clutch is that when im pulling the clutch back up after putting it into gear, it has to be near normal for the gear to engage if you know what I mean, does that mean that the clutch is gone ?

I drive a '92 EG Civic myself and the clutch in my car is exactly the same. As I have only had the car for 18 months, and the single previous owner before me just had the clutch replaced before I bought it seems likely that it is just the way the OE clutch is.

Would be nice to know if it is possible to get it "adjusted" as having the friction point of the clutch at like 5% depression can be fustrating, and hard on the foot.

tiksie
24-07-2007, 09:21 AM
Was told that it can only be bled and that wont fix the problem of when it grabs the gear, so looks new I need a new clutch! Gonna ask around this saturday, anyone know any good/cheap places in Sydney ?

leeepa
24-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Just live with it like I do, it's really not that bad once you get used to it :P

tiksie
24-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Im really fussy when it comes to cars :P

Kiz_EG6
24-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Hey man, as I said before you CAN adjust it.
The adjustment for a hydraulic clutch should be on or near your clutch pedal.

Your user manual should point you to it, or just drop into ur local mechanic!

YLDCRD
24-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Sorry to hi-jack, anyone how much oem clutch replacement will cost (aftermarket and just the clutch), without labour

SeverAMV
24-07-2007, 05:58 PM
uhh, you're not trying to adjust where it engages the gear, you're trying to adjust the pedal feel. i think its a little bolt thingy that you just turn. there's nothing wrong with your clutch, just the pedal feel-ish. just tell any mechanic that the clutch engages too high on the pedal and they should know what to do with it.

tiksie
24-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Lol, so many different responses!

Sever, so your saying its the clutch cable that needs adjusting ? The clutch is nice and firm, it just goes into gear when the clutch is high..

SeverAMV
24-07-2007, 06:11 PM
yeah, but its something to do with the cable, you just adjust it and you can get it so it engages high in pedal travel or low in pedal travel. i've had it done on my ED a few times. first because it engaged too early, then because it engaged too late.

Kiz_EG6
24-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Lol, so many different responses!

Sever, so your saying its the clutch cable that needs adjusting ? The clutch is nice and firm, it just goes into gear when the clutch is high..

We have already clarified that it is a hydraulic clutch, this means that there IS NO CLUTCH CABLE, ED has cable clutch, meaning you adjust it there, EG, as i8 said, should be on the clutch pedal somewhere!!

tiksie
24-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Ohh okay lol!

Would I damage anything trying to adjust it myself ?

Any pics of where it should be to adjust it ?

Kiz_EG6
24-07-2007, 06:59 PM
I haven't done a honda with a hydraulic clutch myself, only i am assuming it is the same or simalar to anything else.
As for doing it yourself, maybe if it looks simple i cannot see how you could do any damage, only if the clutch is slipping after you play with it, then you've adjusted it the wrong way :p

As i said earlier though, it will not cost you much, if anything, to get it done at a mechanic!

tiksie
24-07-2007, 07:01 PM
Thanks for that mate :D

I will not look at this thread again even if it gets replies, it will probably be someone else telling me to try something else hahaha :D

Thanks kiz

tiksie
27-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Was told today that the clutch is goneskes~!

Can anyone direct me in the right direction to call up for quotes this weekend for a new clutch ? In Sydney, cheers.