PDA

View Full Version : Questions about EG Chassis

xKx_31
16-07-2004, 11:52 PM
Hi people!

Was wondering if anyone could sort out some details for me. I just inherited a set of 17inch rims for my 92 4door Civic but not too sure whether will it fit onto the car. All I know was that its a 4 stud, 17x7.5 rims.

Any ideas?

Oh and also I will be bringing in my coilovers soon from other country. Had to make a choice between;

- Tanabe Sustec Series (Not sure which series yet)
- D2 Racing (The one with pillow mount and more adjustments)
- Tein HA with Pillow Mount (2nd hand)
- Tein HA (new without pillow mount)
- Tein Super Street

Basically my budget can sorta fit from the lowest priced choice (2nd hand HA) to the highest price choice (Tein HA or Tein SS) and the pricing for the rest is sandwich in between.

Amongst all I gather that Tein is the hardest even in lowest setting, that leaves me wondering whether does it suit the everyday driving? Initially I was considering a cheaper alternative like Koni Yellow + King Springs but most people advised me to save up for a better coilovers like the ones above. So which one should I stick to??

Thanks in advance for the advise guys :)

Muckafutha
17-07-2004, 12:02 AM
hi
i tink with regards to ur rims, it depends on the offset of the rims
i had 17x7 on my civic with an offset of +43 and there is rubbing at full lock
cant help u wif coil-overs though
hope its helpful

xKx_31
17-07-2004, 12:08 AM
Hi Muck, thanks for the info. Any idea how do I check for the offset? Coz i dowan to buy the tyres and then realised that I've got scrapping problems with the inner walls.

Do you think if I bring the rims to a tyre shop and ask them if they know whether will the rims fit my car before I buy the rims off them? In this scenerio, i think its either they wont entertain me or they just dont know whether will it fit or not until I buy the tyres off them and they try to fit it.

:?

Muckafutha
17-07-2004, 12:18 AM
im not an expert in this area so hopefully some other forumer will verify the things i say. the offset should be found on the inside of the rim somewhere. depending on the ethical standard of the shop operator, they may give u useful info. but I know of some people who will just tell u everything fits. of course im sure they can tell u if they want to since its a very basic thing.

why not pretend u want to buy a set of wheels from them. saying u want to fit 17x7.5 and ask them for their opinion.

but as far as i know i tink it is really difficult to fit 7.5 on a civic. u may need to widen ur guards or sumting like dat.

Muckafutha
17-07-2004, 12:21 AM
oh and by the way i fitted 205/40 tyres on my rims
anything above this size may be more expensive.
this tyre dealer told me cos this is a common size they buy in bulk so cheaper

xKx_31
17-07-2004, 12:25 AM
yeah ... i was quoted cheapest 205/40s too ... seems to be the cheapest. ... but the tires they quoted me was crappy ... Silverstone and Nanking ... LOL

Beggars cant be choosers .... Prolly save up abit more to get better ones since my shocks isnt here yet ... :lol:

bennjamin
17-07-2004, 12:51 AM
just another viewpoint....

personally i wouldnt waste my money on any 2nd hand set of coilovers....whether it be race spec or street spec - simpyl put the cost of rebuilding ( even IF it can actually be done at all!) can be huge .

Better IMHO to sort out even just lowered springs , or nice adjustable shocks like koni yellows etc - NEW.

xKx_31
17-07-2004, 01:16 AM
Ermm ... Only the Tein HA are used .. the rest of the alternatives are all new ...

Koni Yellow + Aftermarket springs are my past choice but since my budget has increased ... I gather coilovers are a better choice IMHO ...

Based on the few kinds, which one do you reckon suits an everyday driver?

personally i wouldnt waste my money on any 2nd hand set of coilovers....whether it be race spec or street spec - simpyl put the cost of rebuilding ( even IF it can actually be done at all!) can be huge .

Better IMHO to sort out even just lowered springs , or nice adjustable shocks like koni yellows etc - NEW.

joneblaze
17-07-2004, 02:37 AM
What is your budget? I take it you only want the suspension for everyday driving and occassional weekend fun? Just for a nice lowered stance and improved handling? Will you be heading to track days etc? 17"s would be quite large on a Civic. No use having kickass sussy if you've got fat rubbing/lock up rims on your car. I believe the EG offset should be around +35 or +38. Generally I've heard it's ok to go a few mm either way of your stock, even though it affects the tracking on your car.

xKx_31
17-07-2004, 02:46 AM
My budget is around AUD$1500 max which after converting to the country currency which I'm ordering the sussy from, should be able to secure a set of Tein HA without pillow mount.

Nope I'm not a track lover basically coz I never been to one before :lol:

I've absolutely no idea whatsoever about offset measurement and stuff ... Only know that I have order a Whiteline Kit with rear strut bar and camber kit to "neg" the camber angle of the wheel or something ....

The rest of tracking and stuff which u mentioned earlier ... haha ... I dont know what it means :oops:

LatinoHatchCrap
17-07-2004, 11:11 AM

TOTALLY AGREE :!: :!:

With suspension you dont want to be in a situation where you have a broken seal and no one to fix it. Im would retract from buying 2nd hand. Buy locally made distributed products with local support; you cant do worng that way.

A'PEXi
17-07-2004, 02:00 PM
go for teins and 17x7.5 should fit provided they are 4x100 and your car isnt lowered significantly

joneblaze
17-07-2004, 06:39 PM
Why Teins in particular? Any reason behind that comment?

Muckafutha
18-07-2004, 05:01 PM
if u are not interested in track, why not just get lowered springs, king super lows give u that fierce stance and only one third the price

xKx_31
18-07-2004, 07:44 PM
Hi Mucka, some people like the looks of their car being low and everything. I prefer the sussy to be done up in terms of the performance wise and not going for the benefits of being just super low.

The entrace to my garage is high so if the ground clearance is too low, i might get problems scrapping here and there everytime i wanna go out or go home. heeh

Anyways thanks for the advice mate.

Muckafutha
18-07-2004, 09:06 PM
no worries mate.
i scrape my exhaust eveyday just trying to get into the garage
when i raise it back to standard height, i sometimes feel like something is missing

Muckafutha
18-07-2004, 09:10 PM
just another point. some expensive suspension may give u a very harsh ride on the road as they may be set up for track.
hopefully those that u get are damper adjustable ones.
just my opinion.

Tonkotsu Flavour
26-07-2004, 02:44 PM
the teins are twin tube design, i think only the he is a monotube design.
and i am pretty sure the ha is twin tube to. someone correct me if i am wrong

from experience the twin tube is easier to maintain, and rebuild and less prone to seal busting.

unlike the jic flt/kei office/ and some apex, which use a upside down monotube seem to bust a seal more often, and most local shops in australia have no idea or dont want to rebuild them.

I spose you can get the tein without pillowball, and just transer ur exicsting strut tops over to save money. pillowball on the street is very minimal in perfomance

also another thing to note with the suspension/damper is that after some serious track work or many k's they will need rebuilding, so having a place locally that rebuilds a specific brand, makes them that more appealing.