PDA

View Full Version : Are headlights with blue globes legal?

D-Mac
23-07-2007, 04:45 PM
As above, I am about to buy some new headlights and saw them picture with blue globes and they look great!

I asked the seller and he said that they are legal as long as you stay with the same power rating as my current items.

Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers

riruiz_88
23-07-2007, 06:31 PM
apparently all after market globes are illegal. in saying that i have never heard of anyone getting pulled over cause they got blue globes. a good globe should not be above 8000k, cause u will blind on-comming traffic. u can buy them, and if u dont like the light output just go back to ur OEM ones :)

|N|
23-07-2007, 06:33 PM
blue = illegal

Vinnie
23-07-2007, 06:54 PM
also ive heard that with blue/red lights you can get done for imitating a police vehicle as those colours are reserved for them...

tiksie
23-07-2007, 06:57 PM
My ones on my civic that I just bought recently are a tinge of blue, not FULL blue and theyre not really that powerfull anyway, is this a defect ?

Are clear tail lights defects ? (Its not the american colours, its the australian colours for the bulbs and actual reflectors inside the light)

Sorry for hijacking thread.

EUR003act
23-07-2007, 07:12 PM
Here's the low down, straight out of the road rules and regulations...

Your only allowed red lights facing the rear, only allowed white or amber facing forward... green and blue anywhere on the vehicle are illegal. and in regards to blue/white coloured headlights, they must have ADR approval (ie: meet certain brightness levels and certain distances) ive never seen a 8000k globe that meets these requirements... having said all this, a cop can not defect you (as they are not engineers/vehicle inspectors) however they can give you a suspected defect, where you have 14days to go to the RTA and get your car roadworthied... thats plenty of time to swap a couple of globes back to OEM...
and no, clear taillights are not illegal if the globes (tail/brake/indicators) are all correct colour and brightness (5/10w tail lights / 21w brakes / 21w amber turn signals / 21w clear reverse )

shinji112
23-07-2007, 09:05 PM
i have Polargs which are blue globes.. the light they emit is pretty white.. i drove right upto a cop b4 (facing them) but they didnt pull me over.. prolly coz they're lazy and cbf dealing with me over something as stupid as bulbs

kn1ghtm4r3
23-07-2007, 09:39 PM
i have Polargs which are blue globes.. the light they emit is pretty white.. i drove right upto a cop b4 (facing them) but they didnt pull me over.. prolly coz they're lazy and cbf dealing with me over something as stupid as bulbs

yeah but ur globes arent like the blue like the 6000k+ globes are :thumbsup: so cops dont get annoyed as much :cool:

tengsta
24-07-2007, 11:46 AM
if your talking about the actual color of the globe, not the output the globe makes, then yes blue coloured globes are illegal, my cousin got defected for them.

Its ok if the color of the globe is white, and the output is not too blue. but otherwise your gonna get owned if the light is blue blue. my 2c =]

if you found that informative, why not rep me :D

aaronng
24-07-2007, 12:58 PM
if you found that informative, why not rep me :D

Because you asked for rep. :p

zco
24-07-2007, 02:39 PM
4300k ftw !

kn1ghtm4r3
24-07-2007, 03:37 PM
4300k ftw !

2500k ftw? :thumbsup:

SeverAMV
24-07-2007, 05:48 PM
in south australia, aftermarket globes, xenons, etc. are not illegal until you go past 6000k. you can get some street legal ones from super cheap, strangely, the blue ones in my car glow white.

if you stick in a HID kit for it and you dont have a valid reason for owning one, then you're screwed. my excuse was i do pizza deliveries at night, which i do heh

aaronng
24-07-2007, 07:17 PM
in south australia, aftermarket globes, xenons, etc. are not illegal until you go past 6000k. you can get some street legal ones from super cheap, strangely, the blue ones in my car glow white.

if you stick in a HID kit for it and you dont have a valid reason for owning one, then you're screwed. my excuse was i do pizza deliveries at night, which i do heh

HIDs are illegal if you don't have autolevellers and spray washers.

EUR003act
31-07-2007, 11:39 PM
HIDs are illegal if you don't have autolevellers and spray washers.

soooo true! and the housing must be designed (ADR approved) for HID globes, as hids have a different focal point to normal filament globes. without the correct lens caps and reflectors, aftermarket hids produce alot of glare and create "hot spots". basically spotches of light above the aimed level of the light that can dazzle other drivers. therefore, making them illegal!

AsH_
01-08-2007, 12:18 AM
wat are autolevelers and spray washers???

NeoNode
01-08-2007, 12:24 AM
wat are autolevelers and spray washers???
Simply, with auto leveling, the headlights will adjust itself up and down to always have the beam aimed correctly on the road regardless of the load from the front and back of the vehicle.
Sensors are usually linked to the suspension.

Headlight washers, just pops up and washes the headlights lol.
You would see them on Accord Euro Luxury models being that little square thing right beneath their headlights.

Picture, courtesy of Wikipedia (http://www.wikipedia.org)

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/682/rx350headlampwashersxw6.jpg

Both are aimed at reducing glare for HID equipped vehicles.

AsH_
01-08-2007, 12:43 AM
i remember in my dad's commodore i use to drive it and one headlight literally pointed directly at the ground...

the other side was aimed to the right side and pointed far out...

ref. Fig. 1.0.0.1
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/3999/hdzix0.jpg

NeoNode
01-08-2007, 06:44 AM
i remember in my dad's commodore i use to drive it and one headlight literally pointed directly at the ground...

the other side was aimed to the right side and pointed far out...

ref. Fig. 1.0.0.1

Headlights are asymmetrical and are designed in such a way that the drivers side headlight will always be dipped slightly lower compared to the passenger side.
This applies to both LHD and RHD, it's dipped lower to avoid excessive glare given off to other roads users on the other side of the road.

If your headlights are not like the figure shown above, then you need to have your headlights reaimed.

Guide to aim your headlights here.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html