PDA

View Full Version : No Compliance Plate

Side-Ways
23-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Hey

What does it mean if a vehicle doesn't have a Compliance Plate?

IE: Harder to get rego/green slip? Harder to sell if i decide to? and so on...

Cheers

kid_dynamite
23-07-2007, 10:51 PM
A compliance plate basically is a car's ability to be registered.
No comp plate, rego not possible on it - i.e. can be legally driven on the roads.

That's generally the case, need some more info about the car and stuff if you want a definitive answer.

kunny
23-07-2007, 10:57 PM
how about in QLD, is it the same?

kid_dynamite
23-07-2007, 11:05 PM
how about in QLD, is it the same?

Yep. A compliance plate shows the date the vehicle was declared compliant with the Australian Design Rules (and hence can be legally road registered).

Side-Ways
24-07-2007, 09:12 AM
A compliance plate basically is a car's ability to be registered.
No comp plate, rego not possible on it - i.e. can be legally driven on the roads.

That's generally the case, need some more info about the car and stuff if you want a definitive answer.

Its a Honda Civic 96 EK with B16A JDM engine conversion, if i do purchase this car would it be a hassel for me with rego/blue slip and so on...

Cheers

da spike
24-07-2007, 09:51 AM
Yep, personally i would stay away from cars that dont have a compliance plate, you will have trouble selling the car in the future if you decide to, and yes it will be a hassle to rego the car... The RTA will stuff you around and etc.

When a car doesnt have a compliance plate it usually means it was stolen at some point in its life and they ripped off the compliance, so yea thats my opinion
:)

Bayani
24-07-2007, 10:30 AM
In NSW; If you car does not have a compliance plate, it CAN be registered PROVIDING the car is on record has having been previously registered in the state.

SINISTR
24-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Some cars did come directly from Japan, back in the 90 and early 00s with no compliance plates and were still registerable... before the 15yr rule came in basically. After that cars had to pass and be complianced.

You may find you will have problems with getting the car registered. Usually cars with no compliance plates are only used for racing and never see the road.

Glitta
26-07-2007, 11:27 PM
In NSW compliance plates are only required for first registration there is a general misconception that if you don't have a compliance plate you will need to get police numbers ect but that's not true does not effect the ability to be registered as long as it has been previously registered in that state.

Although resale value would be considerably less.

You can in some cases contact the manufacturer (I know Toyota does it) they can give you a letter of compliance that will replace the need to have a physical one on the vehicle.

If you want to check on that info just give the department of fair trading a call as they advised me on all that just yesterday ;)

Side-Ways
27-07-2007, 12:47 AM
Ok, so the car that i THOUGHT had no compliance plate on it, ended up having one. It was barely noticeable in the photos.

Another quick question. If a car that doesnt have a compliance plate but has been registered (EI: has rego on it) would there be any problems doing a engine conversion?

Cheers

kid_dynamite
27-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Another quick question. If a car that doesnt have a compliance plate but has been registered (EI: has rego on it) would there be any problems doing a engine conversion?

Cheers
Well provided that it's legally registered (i.e. doesn't need to have a compliance plate, for the reasons posted earlier) - then a engine conversion would be subject to the regular modification laws of whatever state you are in (just like any other car).

Glitta
27-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Ok, so the car that i THOUGHT had no compliance plate on it, ended up having one. It was barely noticeable in the photos.

Cheers

The compliance plate has nothing to do with the engine.

Once the process is completed as in the transplant just head down to the RTA with the appropriate paperwork obviously and your cars VIN number will be reallocated to your new engine number.

If you don't do this what you will have is a RTA mismatch on REVS so potential buyers will be extremely suss on the car.

Also if you are upgrading engine you may need engineering your best bet is to contact the RTA and confirm what you would need for your situation to complete the rego process. Unless you are putting in the same engine that your car came out with then obviously all you would need is a purchase receipt for the new engine. The RTA will do a check to see if it's stolen if all good will just issue you with new papers.