PDA

View Full Version : engine rough..... solution?

petsfact
23-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Hi all,

just wondering if anyone experience this and got a solution? i definately feel the roughness from the engine and it doesn't seem to get better after the service, i must admit that low down rev range is much better though after the service, but when i rev the engine while standing still, or accelrating down to freeway, i definately feel this roughness coming through the steering.....

i so miss the smoothness when i first got the car :(

One thing i notice is that after travelling to and from GOR the car definately feels as smooth as new, but after 2 or 3 days freeway + city drive the car is back to roughness again.... could this be the carbon build up? or there is some other part i should look at?

i am bringing the car back to dealer for front discs and pads replacement so maybe i can get them to check that too....

akina
24-07-2007, 12:34 AM
i have never experienced it and i have no clue what this roughness is all about...

doesnt rev as nice as it use to?

tony1234
24-07-2007, 07:32 AM
i have never experienced it and i have no clue what this roughness is all about...

doesnt rev as nice as it use to?
No me neither.Mine is very smooth and vibration free.:confused:

tron07
24-07-2007, 08:43 AM
Change engine mountings?? How old is your car?

petsfact
24-07-2007, 11:41 AM
3.5yrs

petsfact
24-07-2007, 02:30 PM
ok, i just tried the following, when car is at normal working temperature.

car stand still, free gear. slowly press on accelerator, rev range climb slowly, and each and evertime it get around 2.5k rpm the roughness is felt immediately through steering and seats, even on the pedal and gear stick.

before 2.5krpm engine is quiet and smooth, after 2.5k the roughness came on and stay

anyone free enough to do the same try? does it feel the same through out rev range? or feel more rough at certain rev? remember to slowly rev the engine.

tanalasta
24-07-2007, 02:48 PM
My car is a little over a year old and has done 30000k.

My engine is smooth as ... and once you hit over 3000rpm, the extra power/torque kicks in and it accelerates beautifully.

What engine oil and fuel are you using out of curiosity?

aaronng
24-07-2007, 06:10 PM
You did the valve clearance check at 24 months, yeah?

petsfact
24-07-2007, 07:24 PM
i swear the car was smooth across rev range before valve clearance..... after the 24months service it start making noise and the condition just starting to get worse..... i.e more noise, more vibration, this does not happen in one day but slowly developed! :(

aaronng
24-07-2007, 07:56 PM
The dealer might have set the valve clearance too tightly.

petsfact
24-07-2007, 10:03 PM
i've been back to the dealer twice now next week will be the 3rd time regarding this problem but i expect something similar like "it's acceptable"..... :(

aaronng
24-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Did you tell them that it has been rough since the valve clearance check?

petsfact
24-07-2007, 11:01 PM
yeh i did they said it's no difference from other euros...... :D anyway i will insist the vibration is gone this time sending the car back......

petsfact
25-07-2007, 09:20 PM
yoh all, i read somewhere you've got to red line once in a while so i tried today in 2nd gear, funny it kick a bit around 4krpm and then the car "slow down" ??? and the engine is so rough that i can hear things spinning quick but car "slow down" ??? that's weird....

i also tried 3rd gear when getting on freeway it also slow down around 5krpm and all i can hear is engine roaring but car not going anyway all the way to redline...... :(

something wrong with my car or am i just paranoid?

tony1234
26-07-2007, 07:40 AM
How old is your car?The only thing i can think of is you have dirty/fouled injectors.Maybe your car needs an injector service.

petsfact
26-07-2007, 10:06 PM
it's a 03/04 model, built oct 03 registered feb 04

for the fuel i use, i have always been with bp ultimate for all my cars, i also feel that shell optimax gives a bit of rough feeling on hard acceleration in my car but really not that i care the discount docket come first.

when sending my car in for 40000km service i had a full tank of optimax because of coles discount from the day before, after the service i was impressed with the new car feel, the car run great and amooth as, i can recall the first tank of bp i put in after the service gives immediate feeling that the car is rough but i couldn't care much and not able to bring the car back to dealer immediately, until now after 11000km..... :(

so it's another way round now, optimax run smoother than ultimate in my car.

tony1234
27-07-2007, 07:36 AM
it's a 03/04 model, built oct 03 registered feb 04

for the fuel i use, i have always been with bp ultimate for all my cars, i also feel that shell optimax gives a bit of rough feeling on hard acceleration in my car but really not that i care the discount docket come first.

when sending my car in for 40000km service i had a full tank of optimax because of coles discount from the day before, after the service i was impressed with the new car feel, the car run great and amooth as, i can recall the first tank of bp i put in after the service gives immediate feeling that the car is rough but i couldn't care much and not able to bring the car back to dealer immediately, until now after 11000km..... :(

so it's another way round now, optimax run smoother than ultimate in my car.
Try Caltex Vortex 98,you still get your 4c/ltr.off.i find it better than Shell Vpower 98 and i think others will agree.

tron07
27-07-2007, 08:44 AM
I was running Vortex98, now switch to VPower.. not much difference that I can feel