PDA

View Full Version : Odd Tire

Barge Ass
24-07-2007, 12:38 AM
When I bought my car it had one odd tire on the back. My flatmate reckons this is illegal and if I tried to claim insurance it might prove costly, anyone know?

albii
24-07-2007, 08:05 AM
Change it to the same as your friend is right..
The back 2 have to match and the front 2 have to match but can be different brands.

Mr_will
24-07-2007, 08:56 AM
umm...in NSW it is not illegal to have different tyres.
the rules may be different in melbourne, but youd probably want to check it out with your local equivalent of the RTA before you do anything...

D4rk4n63l
24-07-2007, 09:38 AM
is it odd 'size wise' or 'brand wise'? if its just different brand as long as they have a reasonably equal amount of thread, they're fine.. if not then its a good idea to get a pair of new ones, dont just replace the odd one with the new one of the other three...

DLO01
24-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Well, I always thought it was Illegal.

2 in front must be the same.

2 in the back must be the same.

^^ thats what I thought.

Barge Ass
24-07-2007, 01:15 PM
I'm in Victoria and I'm presuming it comes under Roadworthiness requirements for Vic Roads. From what I've read for Vic its ok as long as the tyres have sufficient tread and are of the same carcass construction ie radial.
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/E5F44416-57E4-4164-98F5-69E3E8E1C5E3/0/VSI26.pdf

Drew
24-07-2007, 01:19 PM
They also need to be the same size

Ie you cant have 205/45R16 on one side and 195/45R16 on the other
Tread pattern/brand doesn't matter

albii
24-07-2007, 02:08 PM
2 on front need to be the same and 2 on back likewise..yes even brand and size.
But the front brand and tread pattern can be different to the back.
Just to clear it up.....if you had 2 nankang ns2 225/40/18s on front you can have 2 bridgestone 225/40/18s on the back.
But you cant have 3 nankang ns2 225/40/18s and 1 bridgstone 225/40/18..that's illegal.

albii
24-07-2007, 02:08 PM

^^ thats what I thought.

exactly.

Barge Ass
24-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Yeah same size and carcass just different brand and tread. I got it from a Honda dealer so I assume it's cool, just want to make sure.

Mr_will
24-07-2007, 03:37 PM

^^ thats what I thought.

as long as the load ratings are correct and they have legal tread depth you can have 4 different tyres if you really want to. why anyone would is beyond me however.

shadou
24-07-2007, 08:47 PM
VICTORIA - 2 fronts tyres MUST be the same but the 2 rears can be of different brand as long as it's road worthy, pretty sure the rims have to be the same size as the rest of the car.

albii
24-07-2007, 10:11 PM
as long as the load ratings are correct and they have legal tread depth you can have 4 different tyres if you really want to. why anyone would is beyond me however.

That is incorrect ,illegal and dangerous..You cannot have 4 different tyres with 4 different treads.

DLO01
25-07-2007, 06:36 AM
^^^ Yeh exactly,

think about it.....

different makes on left and right. Different grip levels = very dangerous.

As I said before, years ago in Qld it was: your supposed to have the 2 same tyres at the front and 2 same tyres at the rear.

Mr_will
27-07-2007, 02:56 AM

That is incorrect ,illegal and dangerous..You cannot have 4 different tyres with 4 different treads.

i have no problem with people disagreeing with me. i have a problem with douchebags like you failing to even read my post before replying.

i did NOT say that i thought having 4 different tyres was a good idea. in fact, you will notice that i said 'why anyone would is beyond me'.

ive no idea what the victorian laws are, but in NSW it is perfectly legal to have 4 tyres with completely different tread, so long as the load ratings are correct and the tread meets the minimum required depth (1.5mm I believe)

so in summary, everything i said was correct, and you need to read my posts before flaming me

if youd like to tell me im wrong again, please backup your statement with reference to the appropriate legislation that states that it is unlawful to have different tread types, because i've looked, and it isnt there.

TheGoodDeal
27-07-2007, 09:26 AM

Then it will become illegal if you put spare space saver tyre (when you have tyre punchture).

DLO01
27-07-2007, 10:09 AM
^^^ That is an exception.

Its for temporary use only.

You must stay under a defined speed.

You will 'not' get a safety cert if you have different tyres all round. You will 'not' get a safety cert if you have the Space Saver bolted to one corner.

albii
01-08-2007, 05:17 PM
i have no problem with people disagreeing with me. i have a problem with douchebags like you failing to even read my post before replying.

i did NOT say that i thought having 4 different tyres was a good idea. in fact, you will notice that i said 'why anyone would is beyond me'.

ive no idea what the victorian laws are, but in NSW it is perfectly legal to have 4 tyres with completely different tread, so long as the load ratings are correct and the tread meets the minimum required depth (1.5mm I believe)

so in summary, everything i said was correct, and you need to read my posts before flaming me

if youd like to tell me im wrong again, please backup your statement with reference to the appropriate legislation that states that it is unlawful to have different tread types, because i've looked, and it isnt there.

Who said anything about it being a good or bad idea ,carkhead..
You said it was legal and that's incorrect..Maybe you should try reading what you said..Back to kindy for you buddy..

albii
01-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Then it will become illegal if you put spare space saver tyre (when you have tyre punchture).

omg.....punchture?? what's that?

Mr_will
01-08-2007, 05:39 PM

Who said anything about it being a good or bad idea ,carkhead..
You said it was legal and that's incorrect..Maybe you should try reading what you said..Back to kindy for you buddy..

um...YOU did. it is legal in nsw. but go ahead, try and find me the legislation that proves otherwise....

TheGoodDeal
24-09-2007, 12:36 AM
FYI, about a month ago, one of the front tyre of my car have a unrepairable punchture. I went to Jaxquitfit and they did replace a diffenent brand tyre (same size, different tread). Yesterday, I went to different mechanic to get a pink slip. It passed and had no problem. I'm in NSW.