PDA

View Full Version : ef8 rear seat question. any issues registering?

qstoria
24-07-2007, 02:34 PM
im having some issues registering my ef8 at the moment. im being told that the rear seats do not meet ADR (australianh design rules). now this seems strange to me as i am not the first owner since the car was brought into the country. it has been complied and registered in victoria originally and since i have had the car registered in ACT. i however was unfortunantly given a defect notice for my ride height and subsequently had to present the car for a full inspection.

it is at this full inspection that i was informed that the rear seating arrangement in my ef8 does not pass and i would have to either have an engineers report to prove that it does in fact meet ADR or remove the belts and seats and replace with perhaps the rear assembly from a 2 seater ED crx.

so any ef8 owners out there or anyone else that might be able to shed some light on this for me, please post up.

thanks

kyle
24-07-2007, 02:48 PM
When my EF9 was imported into Australia. The seatbelts had to be replaced from an aussie ED because the JDM model has only lap belts, not full shoulder ones.

kid_dynamite
24-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Got a copy of the VASS approval from Victoria? If not you might be able to get a copy from the VASS signatory/ VicRoads. Show that to the ACT authorities as proof that it met the ADRs.

Setanta
24-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Wow - looks like a RTA finally wised up - that's not good news for you. The reality is that the seats don't meet ADRs at all and nor do the rear belt mounting points. I had this discussion with the NSW RTA and it doesn't matter what happened in Vic with the car, ADRs are ADR's and the importer should have swapped the seats out. Make sure they don't look inside the doors, my EF9 didn't come with intrusion bars which was another issue in terms of ADRs. If I were you, I'd swap the seats out, stuff in the Aussie rear, rego it and then you know, if the seats miraculously reappeared in the car and you didn't notice...

Cops don't really care about the seats - I doubt they'd give it a second look.

OR you could go ghetto and do the Cabramatta lowering trick of removing the back seats and filling the car with 500kgs of doof doof gear :D

Dxs
24-07-2007, 04:55 PM
mine and many others here in melb have little stickers saying something along the lines of 'these seats must not be used by anyone over 78cm or over 35kg'

so yeah :p

qstoria
24-07-2007, 05:26 PM
When my EF9 was imported into Australia. The seatbelts had to be replaced from an aussie ED because the JDM model has only lap belts, not full shoulder ones.

that makes sense. ef8 also only have a lap belt where as i assume the ADR requires a shoulder one. looks like ED crx rear will need to be sourced for this. doesnt bother me as no one can actually fit in the back in any sort of comfort

Got a copy of the VASS approval from Victoria? If not you might be able to get a copy from the VASS signatory/ VicRoads. Show that to the ACT authorities as proof that it met the ADRs.

what is VASS? i assume some paperwork to do with when the car was imported? thing is now as Setatna points out is that they have wisened up to this. perhaps ADRS changed since the car was imported a few years ago? who knows. unfortunantly RTA's are hard to argue once you have been defected.

does anyone know for sure if Aussie ED crx rear interior will fit into the jap ef8?

qstoria
24-07-2007, 05:28 PM
mine and many others here in melb have little stickers saying something along the lines of 'these seats must not be used by anyone over 78cm or over 35kg'

so yeah :p

yes exactly. so does mine. i mentioned to the RTA guys in canberra today that i beleive that the sticker has been placed there as part of the compliance but they wouldnt have a bar of it..

dc2vtir
24-07-2007, 11:09 PM
yea with my EF7 the lap seatbelts had to get changed over to the shoulder ones to meet ADR standards but i dont really mind since hardly anyone sits in my backseats

qstoria
24-07-2007, 11:50 PM
yea with my EF7 the lap seatbelts had to get changed over to the shoulder ones to meet ADR standards but i dont really mind since hardly anyone sits in my backseats

was it hard to do this? ie. was there already mounting points for the shoulder strap part? ACT RTA are telling me i cant just take out the seats and the seat belts and register as a 2 seater unless i have "filled in the space sufficiently" with something such as the ED rear interior

Limo
25-07-2007, 12:27 AM
yeh u need to upgrade the rears to shoulder belts. when i got my car in the engineers said you can either get shoulder belts installed or take it out and put the ausdm plastic thing in.

shoulder mounting points where welded onto the chassis.

ive seen ed's replace their interior with ef8 rear seats, so you should be able to go ef to ed

venus
29-07-2007, 11:27 AM
when you were told you cant just remove the seats did they give you the specific guidelines act rta want done for your crx to comply with the seat? your best bet would be to go to rta and ask for their exact specs to make the seat comply each state and territory has their own little rules governing everything. then if you do exactly what they ask for there is no defectable issues with the seat.

STTICH
29-07-2007, 11:49 AM
does anyone know for sure if Aussie ED crx rear interior will fit into the jap ef8?

the ED crx ones will fit, u dun have to source the whole rear interior. just take out your leather seating area (bottom) and leave the back-leaning part of the seats untouched.

u shud b able to get that area covered wth ED panels. tats just a piece of plastic.

jords
01-08-2007, 12:27 PM
I have 2 ED rear panels if your looking for one...

qstoria
02-08-2007, 06:08 PM
I have 2 ED rear panels if your looking for one...

sounds good. ill see how i go and let you know if i will need some :thumbsup: