PDA

View Full Version : Getting into gear

Barge Ass
24-07-2007, 05:00 PM
In my DC2R it's a bit hard to get into first sometimes ie I have to push a bit harder. Does that mean the previous owner was a little rough or is this standard in a 7 year old car?

SeverAMV
24-07-2007, 05:43 PM
when is it hard to get into first?
when downchanging whilst car is still moving, its always hard to prevent accidentally going from other gears to first when the car is going faster than 60km/h. you can heel toe it if you want, or get new gearbox oil (redline oil is good).

but if you're talking about getting into first whilst the car has stopped, might be the oil, might be the gearbox isnt warm enough yet, might be the synchros, etc. can be a lot of things. if it really annoys you, get a mechanic to crack open the gearbox to take a look.

Barge Ass
24-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Just when I've stopped mostly but also when I'm moving (which I rarely do). It seemed smooth the other day when I had driven it a fair bit. And I need to have my brake pedal adjusted for heel and toe as I think it's too high.

SeverAMV
24-07-2007, 05:51 PM
brake pedal is never too high. you're not flooring it when you heel toe, you have the clutch down so even a quarter throttle should be enough to get full revs if you need it, lol. just make sure it has good brake feedback so you can pivot your foot around it.

when you're moving, its generally hard to get into first in all cars. when you're stopped, well, depends. is there any sort of crunching or clicking sound? is your clutch depressed enough? etc. but once again, if it really annoys you, have a mechanic look at it.

Barge Ass
24-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Yeah a bit of a crunch, I always floor my clutch so its completely depressed. But it was all smooth the other day.

SeverAMV
24-07-2007, 05:59 PM
if it always crunches, have a mechanic look at it. could be the synchros, or gunky oil.