PDA

View Full Version : which hydrolic gearbox?

wkdteg
25-07-2007, 03:10 PM
didnt know whether 2 put this in the technical section or in here... so just puttin it here...
well its official... my gearbox is on its way out. took it 2 my dads shop on monday, had the boys take a look. the clutch is fine, and the gear oil is topped up. which would leave us to the only conclusion that its the actual gearbox. for those that dont know... finding 1st, and reverse r pretty damn difficult, and gettin from 1-2, 2-3 and 4-5 will always crunch.
rather than rebuilding the box, ive decided to start lookin for a hydrolic box. i know ppl will say 2 stick with the cable, but i just want a more modern approach 2 the car.
while i save up for the damn parts, im gonna start researching.
i currently have a b16a (i assume its jdm as there is no number after the a) mated to a YS1 cable gearbox.
i wanted to know which hydro gearboxes i should b looking for? ie which model numbers? which cars they come from? and which engine theyre usually mated to. also how much ill b lookin at for them.
in regards to the actual conversion, i know hasport and innovative make conversion sets so thats not a real issue. i just want 2 know which gearbox i should b looking for and the pros and cons of each 1
cheers in advance
Rami

Edgeauto
25-07-2007, 11:34 PM
Tha main issue you will have is finding a hydro box that will bolt up to the LS mounts. I you replace your box and want to sell your old 1 shoot me a PM as I am looking for a YS1 which only needs to have a good case.:)

wkdteg
26-07-2007, 12:08 AM
as i mentioned earlier, mounting the thing isnt an issue. hasport make mounts for this specific application while innovative make the full conversion kits.

http://hasport.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=52&products_id=128
http://www.innovativemounts.com/ShowProduct.aspx?prodid=41001

i just wanna know wat box would suit. i mean lsd would b good (ie type r box) but that would cost heaps. is it possible 2 fit an aftermarket lsd on2 a non lsd gearbox?
anyways dude, if i sell it, ill b sure 2 let ya know asap :thumbsup

Edgeauto
26-07-2007, 07:09 AM
You will still not be able to fit the front engine mount(radiator) as in the LS it bolts onto the front of the gearbox where the slave cylinder is on the hydro box but i guess the mount does minimal anyway. That Innovative hydro set up looks pretty sweet. OBX make cheap LSDs for most Honda boxes. What box you need depends on what you use the car for, a 98-01 ITR box would nice in there but as you siad it depends on how much you want to spend.

wkdteg
26-07-2007, 11:52 PM
yeah i guess the ultimate box would b an itr box, but thats a bit expensive. thats y i wanna find out wat other boxes r out there. if i find that the pros of the itr box well and truely outweigh those of the others, then i mite fork out for it.
the car is mainly street drivin but i do drive it hard, and there will b the occasional drag and track work couple times a yr

wkdteg
28-07-2007, 01:48 PM
oh c'mon... so no1 knows anythin about gearboxes except for edgeauto?