PDA

View Full Version : b18c free running engine?

its.not.ali
25-07-2007, 05:56 PM
ey guys,

hopefully someone can help me and give me something to smile about :(

snapped timing belt on my dc2...

how can i tell if the engines free spinning?

i dont wanna strip it and find bent valves or damaged pistons :( can someone comfort me? lolol

wat r the chances ive fckd something? and how can i find out?

cheers

onlykillzz
25-07-2007, 06:07 PM
spinning the crank by hand will not bend the valves as you will feel it stop and hit somthing. what ever damage that was done is done best thing to go is to get the head taken off and look whats going on if your very lucky you might just have some dints and everything is sweet if that is so new timing belt and your all good, good luck

xtc.thai
25-07-2007, 06:16 PM
no i dont think these engines are free rrunnin engines as honda always try to get the highest compression ratio capable for that engine so they would have the pistons come up as much as possible.

as above.. take off the head and check it out

its.not.ali
25-07-2007, 06:17 PM
any easier way to taking the head off coz thats a big job :S

onlykillzz
25-07-2007, 07:09 PM
not really if you don't know what our doing best pay for a mechanic to do it.... but the idea is to remove exhaust manifold and intake, and then remove the cover then its prity easy everything is just there easy as pie..... now don't be a hero and open the head and be like ya this is good i know what im doing because if you open the head your most likely going to need new gaskets and your going to need helm's manual so you no how much toque you need to do the bolts to when you put it back on...

its.not.ali
25-07-2007, 07:14 PM
ive done it b4 on my rb30 but thats a lot more simpler then a b18 lol

i got the integra service manual and that gives u almost step by step wat to do. all im worried bout is that im not familiar with the wiring, and all the other piping and lil stuff like that.

i kno that if i take the head off, ill be redoing all gaskets and seals.. thats normal.

i just dunno whether its worth pulling the head off and saying "fcuk... i shoulda send it to mechanic" lol coz i cant change valves coz i dont have the tools rarararar

p.s. thanks for the input :)

ive heard that i can spin the engine by hand to tell whether anythings stuck or damaged? can any1 shine some light on this topic??

onlykillzz
25-07-2007, 07:26 PM
http://i5.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/ab/05/4954_12.JPG

ok its the big one down the bottom i don't remember what socket it is but is big lol put your 1/2inch on it and try to spin it if it spins you may be in luck if not well ummm..... ya.....
p.s you well have to remove all the belts to do this as thay stop the crank from moving.....

its.not.ali
25-07-2007, 07:28 PM
so after i take the belts off...

i'll spin the crank bolt.. if its spins - im in luck... if it doesnt - im rooted??? Lol is that it?

onlykillzz
25-07-2007, 07:38 PM
something like that ow make shore the car is in neutral or it wont spin lol....
the car is manual ya... if its auto im not shore if it should spin or not because i don't know how the auto clutch works..

if anyone can help

aaronng
25-07-2007, 09:25 PM
B18Cs are interference engines. So if you snap the belt, you might find bent valves.

destrukshn
25-07-2007, 09:26 PM
also depends what speed your doing when you snapped the belt.
lol.

ECU-MAN
25-07-2007, 11:33 PM
change the belt and do a compression test before commiting to ripping the head off.

its.not.ali
26-07-2007, 01:25 AM
thanks guys..

and yeah, i was thinking of doing wat u sed ecu-man.

as for speed, i was cruising at 40ks around a corner... but my fear is, i tried cranking it heaps :(

INTEG
28-07-2007, 11:03 PM
heys ali integra are free running engine, iam a mechanic by trade and i own one it is a free running engine change the timing belt and should be ok. Take off the rocker cover and check it is snapped first. it could be a starter motor or ring gear problem which gives you the same symptoms:wave:

its.not.ali
29-07-2007, 02:07 AM
thanks champ

ive taken the cover off and found the snapped belt... im just stuck on doing the crank belt - luckily my uncle let me borrow his compressor, so ill get the rattle gun onto it tomorow :)

ECU-MAN
29-07-2007, 11:50 AM
put your spark plugs in when trying to undo the crank bolt, the compression helps. again their is a DIY on how to undo the crank bolt in the DIY section

its.not.ali
29-07-2007, 12:59 PM
yeah, ive watched the DIY and i was waiting for the comprsesor..

now that i have the compressor.. out comes the breaker bar and my 3" exhaust pipe lolol

INTEG
29-07-2007, 01:29 PM
yerh most honda's is a bitch of a thing to get the crank off. you need the special tool

its.not.ali
29-07-2007, 02:37 PM
I GOT IT OFF!!!!

i know i mite sound ghey but man im sooo happy lol

it took me so many smashes and attempts with the gun.. but its OFF!! lol

ECU-MAN
29-07-2007, 03:39 PM
I GOT IT OFF!!!!

i know i mite sound ghey but man im sooo happy lol

it took me so many smashes and attempts with the gun.. but its OFF!! lol

werd

I know the fealing

its.not.ali
01-08-2007, 06:30 PM
ok - update..

got the timing belt on.. took me AGES to line it up!

i was taking out the spark plugs and noticed the 2nd cylinders spark plug had oil on the threads but not the ignitor!

could this be a cracked journal? or simply a bad seal? any ideas?

in the next few days ill be putting all the belts on and hopefully starting the car and seeing whether it works or not lol but i just thought id ask the questoin now!

INTEG
02-08-2007, 12:48 PM
most common thing is the rocker cover spark plug seals. flip the the rocker cover upside down its 4 little round seals which sits over the spark plug holes. replace them and apply ultra grey!!!! when u put it back together that should fix the problem

sydteg21
08-08-2007, 12:55 AM
so have u done the compression test or leak down test? u better find out if u have bent valves or not, it is not a good idea to start up to see if it is good or not , you will end up doing more damage

its.not.ali
08-08-2007, 09:04 AM
woops, i shoulda read that a few daays ago lol

started her up and she ran fine :) got the valve clearances adjusted, timing adjusted, and slapped on some new rocker seals...

shes running again :)

ECU-MAN
08-08-2007, 09:13 AM
good work

sydteg21
08-08-2007, 03:59 PM
lucky you mate, very very lucky

INTEG
09-08-2007, 09:46 PM
lucky you mate, very very lucky

man if you read tegs are free running engine why would you bend any valves at 40ks lol

sydteg21
09-08-2007, 09:50 PM
man if you read tegs are free running engine why would you bend any valves at 40ks lol

man, they are not , B18Cs are interference engines. So if you snap the belt, you might find bent valves or damaged pistons

sydteg21
09-08-2007, 09:51 PM

man, they are not , B18Cs are interference engines. So if you snap the belt, you might find bent valves or damaged pistons. if u do a research on HT , you will know what i meant.