PDA

View Full Version : JDM Brembo Fitting

m0nty ITR
25-07-2007, 07:41 PM
JDM ITR Brembos arriving next week.

Any tips on fitting them? Will they fit with AUDM rotors and do brake lines or master cylinder need to be upgraded?

matt
25-07-2007, 07:47 PM
have u also purchased the JDM LCA's, driveshafts and wheels with higher offset?
and then to do it properly the rear knuckles aswell?

m0nty ITR
25-07-2007, 07:53 PM
The Volks I've ordered have the same offset as the JDM wheels so clearance won't be an issue.

Are you saying I need to replace the control arms and driveshafts? First I've heard of it. New rotors I've ordered will fit fine. They're same size as AUDM rotors. The calipers will suit 296mm rotors.

I thought there would've been quite a few people here that have done this mod.

maracer
25-07-2007, 08:10 PM
I know this is of the topic:o
What off set are the VOLKS rim's

m0nty ITR
25-07-2007, 08:12 PM
I'd have to check. I leave all the car stuff at work.

EL_DC5
25-07-2007, 08:20 PM
quick question . are the spoon caliper better than the Brembos???

mugsee
25-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Are you saying I need to replace the control arms and driveshafts? First I've heard of it. New rotors I've ordered will fit fine. They're same size as AUDM rotors. The calipers will suit 296mm rotors.

You need to replace the hub, knuckle, LCA and sway bar in order for JDM DC5R brembos to fit onto an AUDM DC5R.

m0nty ITR
25-07-2007, 09:30 PM
Hmmm, doesn't seem like such a good deal anymore.

Any idea on costs for all that?

[RSX 03]
25-07-2007, 11:08 PM

with out a doubt yes.

Tofu
25-07-2007, 11:11 PM
most people don't do this conversion because of all the things you have to buy just to make it fit.

[RSX 03]
25-07-2007, 11:19 PM
most people don't do this conversion because of all the things you have to buy just to make it fit.

Very true, Plus it's like standard Brakes.

mikul_ha
25-07-2007, 11:20 PM
best brake upgrade that you can do for your car is good brake pads and maybe braided brake lines... calipers = blingness, but i would do it to if i had the money lol

destrukshn
25-07-2007, 11:34 PM
calipers do lots, if you have the tyres, rotors, and pads to match.
lol.

[RSX 03]
25-07-2007, 11:39 PM
IMO, i don't reckon it's worth buying the JDM DC5R Brake package, Unless you can pick it up for dirt cheap.

yourfather
26-07-2007, 12:04 AM
best brake upgrade that you can do for your car is good brake pads and maybe braided brake lines... calipers = blingness, but i would do it to if i had the money lol

I dunno man..........................

braided brake lines are more bling than bigger calipers

mikul_ha
26-07-2007, 12:13 AM
really? always thought it was brake pads, braided lines (for track), rotas, calipers

order of best gain in performance....

yourfather
26-07-2007, 12:15 AM
braided lines just reduce brake fade...

matt
26-07-2007, 12:41 AM
from memory the last complete set up was about $2500, that was with rear knuckles (i think its the knuckles, may be the hub) aswell, cos if u just do the front, youll have different offsets front to rear

m0nty ITR
26-07-2007, 08:27 AM
I'll keep them for now and look at the upgrade further down the track. I'm replacing rotors and pads next week so I'll see how that goes. I would like to get them on the car eventually but I have more pressing mods for now.

Anyone know where I can get the LCAs, driveshafts and hubs?

mugsee
26-07-2007, 08:56 AM
If your after a spoon caliper setup including the LCA, hubs and knuckles and front sway bar, I've got a full set for $2000firm that will bolt straight up to an AUDM DC5R.

R123
26-07-2007, 10:04 AM

Mate thats one of those question, i hope you wouldnt try everything to find out~

er... interms of name wise, brembos are miles louder than Spoon ones. However for US, AUDM DC5 owners would b a better choice (well at least i had set my mind on one) cos is straight bolt on. Easier and cheaper.

Perfomrace is hard to say.. simply i dont care much so i wont say its better. Personally i know will be an improve from OEM and das worth all the bucks.

Also, personally i think BLUE Caliper is so BLING~~ goes so well with CW!!!

Max Power
26-07-2007, 10:55 AM
from memory the last complete set up was about $2500, that was with rear knuckles (i think its the knuckles, may be the hub) aswell, cos if u just do the front, youll have different offsets front to rear

A mate on clubitr has a set of Alcon 335mm x 28mm rotors with Alcon 4 pot calipers for sale for 2500 bucks and they are direct bolt ons. That would be a better option and have more stopping power than the jdm brembos.

iced
26-07-2007, 11:12 AM
braided lines just reduce brake fade...

wtf mang
explain please

EL_DC5
26-07-2007, 11:28 AM
wtf mang
explain please

It keeps good pressure instead of expanding the hose. reducing fading at high temps. That my theory:)

EL_DC5
26-07-2007, 11:30 AM
A mate on clubitr has a set of Alcon 335mm x 28mm rotors with Alcon 4 pot calipers for sale for 2500 bucks and they are direct bolt ons. That would be a better option and have more stopping power than the jdm brembos.

How do they compare with the Spoon one?

mikul_ha
26-07-2007, 11:37 AM
heat will expand your hose lines therefore reducing brake pressure .... thats why you get braided lines to reduce expansion and maintain brake pressure, hence less brake fade....

thats why i thought brake pads and braided lines are the first thing to address.

correct me if im wrong, but aftermarkets calipers only give you more consistency in pushing the pads to the rotors? but then again the type r calipers are good already. what other advantages are there?

mugsee
26-07-2007, 11:42 AM
larger calipers also = larger clamping surface area = better braking

iced
26-07-2007, 11:47 AM
It keeps good pressure instead of expanding the hose. reducing fading at high temps. That my theory:)

correct me if im wrong here but
spongy pedal and brake fade are 2 different things.

brake lines give better brake feel and less spongy pedal at higher brake fluid temps. if your brake pad/caliper/rotor combo is causing fade changing the brake line does jack shit.

iced
26-07-2007, 11:49 AM
larger calipers also = larger clamping surface area = better braking

if your brake piston and typically caliper body holding the brake fluid is larger your essentially need a bigger brake master cylinder to work effectively with your large calipers.

mikul_ha
26-07-2007, 11:53 AM
i guess so .... but does that mean bigger and more expensive pads?

Tofu
26-07-2007, 11:55 AM
um...in all honesty, unless you are doing frequent track events, upgrading larger brake calipers is all for show.

you'll rarely use the full extent of the brake system on the road anyway, unless you're doing something pretty stupid on the road.

CivicOnBoost
26-07-2007, 12:01 PM
How do they compare with the Spoon one?

Far better than spoon and there is also no clearance isuues when running a +42 offset rim, altho you will have to run 17inch rims to fit them. Pic Attached

mikul_ha
26-07-2007, 12:09 PM
brake fade = (quoted from wikipedia):thumbsup:
The reduction of friction termed brake fade is caused when the temperature reaches the "kneepoint" on the temperature-friction curve. [All brake lining is cured under mechanical pressure following a heating & cooling curve, heating the friction material up to 450°F to "cure" (cross-link) the phenolic resin thermoset polymers: There is no melting of the binding resins, because phenolic resins are thermoset, not thermoplastic] In this form of fade, the brake pedal feels firm but there is reduced stopping ability. Fade can also be caused by the brake fluid boiling, with attendant release of compressible gases. In this type of fade, the brake pedal feels "spongy". This condition is worsened when there are contaminants in the fluid, such as water, which most types of brake fluids are prone to absorbing to varying degrees. For this reason brake fluid replacement is standard maintenance.

mikul_ha
26-07-2007, 12:13 PM
Far better than spoon and there is also no clearance isuues when running a +42 offset rim, altho you will have to run 17inch rims to fit them. Pic Attached

can you say why brembo > spoon?

seventwozero
26-07-2007, 12:25 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70142

DIRT CHEAP for anyone considering SPOON over BREMBO =)
Offers welcome.

Tofu
26-07-2007, 12:30 PM

No he's comparing his Alcon to Spoon not brembo vs spoon

and i agree, Alcon > Spoon

CivicOnBoost
26-07-2007, 12:35 PM

I was quoting that my alcons are much better than spoon or brembo. The setup is almost the same is what is used on V8 supercars and the setup was designed on my car to suit th standard rim offset.

The setup is better due to the larger disc size , both larger diameter and thickness,allowng for better heat dispensation. There is no point upgrading calipers alone as it offers very little improvement in braking ability. To further improve brake feel and performance the setup includes braided lines, and i use Endless fluid.

Anyways if anyone is interested the full setup is for sale (calipers, rotors, hats, lines) and has under 7000kms on it, drop me a PM all offers over $2100 will be considered.

ROLLED
27-07-2007, 08:42 PM
I dunno man..........................

braided brake lines are more bling than bigger calipers

Are you the biggest F**king tool ever? how are they bling when you cant see them? how can you even comment on this when you've never been over 100km/h or to the track? Daewoo brakes would be more than adequate for your driving needs so probably best to stick to other threads where you can pick on the few ppl stupider than you...

btw I saw you in Glen waverly the other day...NICE HAIRCUT!!! Is your mum still parting your hair for you? :wave:

SHIFTY
27-07-2007, 09:30 PM
^ ay man is that necessary ? no need 2 be a dick!

i advice that do braided lines and pads first, if ur still not happy do disks, slotted rotors if u really want some bling, but if ur full on tracking there not that good as u want as much surface area as possible on ur brakes.. as i learnt on my dads race car went from standard to slotted back to standard...

so basicly just do braided lines, good pads, disks...

air23box
28-07-2007, 05:08 AM
I have the full setup in mine and let me explain why I wanna to change it

Jdm Brembo give you better bite coz you are running 4 pot calipers not a big single pot.....brake pressure is more even and you won't get brake lockup as easy compare to AUDM Caliper which is same as S2K

Also 2nd advantage is the setup give you another 30mm outer offset in total therefore ur car handle better on track.....but if you only do front then you may affect ur rear coz they are not balance....
of coz you cannot use the full protential on normal driving but it still can save you when something happen on the road.....that happen to me.....

If you think the JDM upgrade cost too much you can just get the spoon mono block for the AUDM......just order the S2k setup as its basically the same on our car.......that save you to buy all the knuckles, hubs LCA and Sways......

Alcon is well known brand for racing and same as Brembo......Spoon is just a kit compare to their history......you cannot compare them unless you have the same level of caliper......the jdm is just a basic version for street/occation track........unless you run the race version of it then you can't put it together with Alcon/AP Racing and others......Spoon is just not really design for hard race condition.....do you see any race car using spoon caliper in F1/ Super GT?? Also you need to compare the size of the piston of the caliper.....they design for a reason.....do some research for it b4 post up stupid answers.....I dun mean I know a lot as I am still learning about all this....if you say is it worth to do the jdm upgrade then its really depends on what you think.....some one can pay up to 3.5k for it years ago or some one dun even think it worth 2k.....but for me my brake distance become shorter and the brake force is stronger......I have more confidence to brake later and the car is more stable......even I only run oem pads on my last track days it still hang on for 5 hotlaps without problem.....think if your AUDM brake setup can do the same?.....I dun think so......if any of you have questions about the jdm upgrade....pm me as I just done mine......I think its the best mod I've ever done to my car.....just my 2 cents......

EL_DC5
31-07-2007, 01:39 PM
Can some one compare the JDM Brembos with the Spoon upgrade?? Because im pretty sure i was told that the Spoon upgrade is better than the JDM Brembo set up

air23box
02-08-2007, 12:10 AM
Their piston are pretty much same size but spoon calipers are monoblock which means the caliper itself is better then brembo coz its not monoblock design......but if you use good pads and rotor....it won't be much different for us.......

At least for me.....I can't tell coz we are not under extreme race condition and my skill is still not good enough to tell....but for ppl who dun need the jdm offset and can't be bother to source all those jdm parts......spoon monoblock is the best upgrade since its all bolt on......all you need is a set of rims with right offset to clear the calipers.....but dun forget to order the blacket for s2k coz the AUDM front brake setup is same as s2k......

bartek
03-12-2007, 08:54 PM
why do people automaticaly assume u have to change all on a aussie spec dc5 to make japy brembos fit. Looking at them closely it is quite logical that replacing the stub axle alone will make it work. Or even custom made hub with extended studs? what u guys think?

m0nty ITR
03-12-2007, 09:15 PM
why do people automaticaly assume u have to change all on a aussie spec dc5 to make japy brembos fit. Looking at them closely it is quite logical that replacing the stub axle alone will make it work. Or even custom made hub with extended studs? what u guys think?

I have longer studs with my spacers now. I thought the clearance issue wasn't the wheels but the strut assembly.

bartek
03-12-2007, 09:55 PM
i actually have the whole spare rotors and knuckle of my aussie r and and looks like with a little modification to your stub axle u can make em fit quite easily cos everything else lines up.

bartek
03-12-2007, 09:57 PM
the differance is about 5mm. Which means your aussie rotors have to come up 5mm to make the brembo work. I dont see a problem with custom stubs being putt on to make it work.

EL_DC5
04-12-2007, 10:50 AM
is there ap1 brembos??? cause they would fit straight on right??
DC5 have ap1 stock brake in australia

bartek
04-12-2007, 11:45 PM
jdm brembo fiting solved. easiests way is to get a 2 piece rotor and get a custom hat made up. getting mine done this week, $250 per hat n its a straight bolt on after that. EASY

Nepolian
06-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Am I reading right that the real difference between the JDM hubs and the AUSDM is that the JDM ones are that the jap one sit further in? Hence the 60 offset wheels.

If the brembos fit onto the hub and all. All this said, you will need to get a disc which is approximately 10mm bigger in diameter and sit about 5-10mm further in.

I sure you can get the measurements and find a disc in the disc catalogue to suit??

Does that make sense??

bartek
06-12-2007, 09:11 PM
yes it does. ive tried to find a disck. but the dba book is like yellow opages, and ive wanted to get the dba5000 anyways. so mystery solved. it can be done saving a lot of money. and still function very well.

air23box
07-12-2007, 01:45 AM
but the offset is not rite tho.....jdm is 15mm wider each side...which give you better handling...
Of coz everything can mod and fit.....but I assume the jdm setup is better.....everything design for a reason.....but anywayz....keep us update of the progress.....and possible with some pics......and let us know how it goes.....

mugsee
07-12-2007, 08:20 AM
Am I reading right that the real difference between the JDM hubs and the AUSDM is that the JDM ones are that the jap one sit further in? Hence the 60 offset wheels.

The JDM hub sits further out towards the guards compared to the AUDM counterpart, hence the JDM runs a higher offset rim.

Nice thinking bartek. Alternatively you can run spacers inbetween the hub and rotor and get expended wheel studs pressed in. This will give enough clearance for the calipers.

bartek
08-12-2007, 03:34 AM
its already done, i did put extended wheel nuts, but didnt have to run spacers since i got a custom made hat.

BusterSonic12
13-01-2010, 03:13 AM
Anyone know if there is a Honda OEM calipers rebuild kit for the JDM Brembo Calipers?

Because at the moment, i will have my hands on a set of front & rear jdm brembo setup and i hope like it give them a clean before fitting it onto the car.