PDA

View Full Version : Fujita cold air intake review

Entity
26-07-2007, 01:43 AM
Quick Summary

Item: Fujita Cold Air Intake (Honda Accord Euro CL9) http://www.f5air.com/

Installation: DIY about 2 hours for an inexperienced person (like me)

Performance: No notable gain at any point in the rev range, that being said, no notable loss down low either.

Price: Fairly reasonable compared to the competition

Sound: Overall I would give it 4/5

Bling: Looks decent in the engine bay, but i will say that both the Injen and K&N look better.

Overall satisfaction: Very good bang for your buck, probably my favourite mod so far (and also the cheapest)

Review

When I was choosing a CAI the options that were immediately open to me were the INJEN and the K&N, I never really considered the Comptech Icebox but that's because its a different type of product altogether. When i discovered that Fujita also made a CAI for the euro i decided to do some research both in and out of Ozhonda. The scoop was that the people who formed Fujita were actually technicians from INJEN and to expect both products to be similar.

What pushed me to buy it was that it was the only one-piece CAI available, it was competitively priced and also it was something different from the crowd. I've sat in cars with Injen and k&n CAIs and have in some been less than inspired, so i thought i would give Fujita a try since in the worst case scenario i'll only be set back a few bucks on resale.

Pros:

The biggest Pro i can think of for the Fujita is the induction noise which begins at a measly 2800 rpm. at 3500rpm the sound is notable and after 4000rpm it becomes quite loud. This was a pleasant surprise to me because in most other intakes, the induction noise does not start becoming noticable until 4000rpm, meaning you really need to thrash your car just to hear the noise. With the Fujita you can drive the car fairly tame, shifting at 3500rpm or so and still get your cheap thrills.

Another thing i really like about the noise is that when you first step on the accelerator, the intake makes a gentle "pshht" noise, similar to a very very quiet blow off valve. Previously i had thought this was a feature unique to the new generation of Injen intakes, and i never paid attention as to whether other intakes do this, but i thought it was neat. The final point ill make about the sound is that it is absolutely crazy in a carpark, even below 3000rpm, inside a carpark the intake makes the car sound like an absolute beast, i've had friends hear me coming from the next level up.

The sound the intakes makes however is different in each gear, and in some very odd circumstances makes a pretty disgusting "rumbling" noise. I've noticed this happens when the car is in low revs in 4th gear, and this can largely be avoided if you drive a manual. If you learn to control your revs in an Auto the problem can also be resolved, but it makes for some embarrassing moments when you step on it expecting a mean growl and getting a pussy low rev rumble.

The Fujita is also the only CL9 CAI which has dyno charts showing that it does not lose power down low, which is one of the downsides of installing a CAI. I personally can't feel a difference either way, but it seems to be pretty advantageous. All the dyno results are available on their website but i'll attach their test of the 04 TSX Auto below:

http://www.f5air.com/images/dyno/ca1007%2004-05%20tsx.GIF

Cons:

There are obvious downsides to this intake, the first of which is the quality. The installation went smoothly enough, but the aluminium tubing provided to connect the intake to the PCV system was not long enough, and i had to go to bunnings to buy a new tube because this one kept falling out.

The piping which leads down into the filter is also very awkwardly placed, scratching against one of the panels on its way down and forcing me to install a rubber housing to stop the piping from scratching and eventually rusting. Additionally, the intake does not have the option of being converted to a SRI, a feature both the Injen and k&n have.

Finally, like i mentioned above the intake doesn't look as good, nor have the brand appeal of Injen and k&n, and so if bling is what you are after, then this intake probably won't take home the cake. My engine bay doesn't get flashed around alot and my main motivation for getting a CAI was for the induction noise, so the Fujita works out well for me.

Overall i'm quite happy with the intake, mainly due to the great sounds at low revs, but also because it was significantly cheaper than the other intakes and does what i consider a better job.

I give it a 4 out of 5. It loses one point because of the rumbling noise it sometimes produces... its difficult to describe this unless you have experienced it a few times.

Hope this helps anyone with their CAI decisions... i'll probably make some amendments to this if i think of anything, cheers!

yfin
26-07-2007, 07:17 AM
The Fujita is also the only CL9 CAI which has dyno charts showing that it does not lose power down low, which is one of the downsides of installing a CAI.

Very nice post! On this point do you have a copy of the dyno chart? With all these aftermarket intakes there is going to be a small drop down low - if there is a torque chart you will see it. It is there even in the Icebox - albeit to a smaller level

tony1234
26-07-2007, 07:27 AM
Good write up.I'm looking at a CAI so this was interesting reading.:thumbsup:

Entity
26-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Very nice post! On this point do you have a copy of the dyno chart? With all these aftermarket intakes there is going to be a small drop down low - if there is a torque chart you will see it. It is there even in the Icebox - albeit to a smaller level

yep, its been added.

On closer inspection there might be a slight loss, but if you compare it against the dyno graphs of the k&n or Injen you can see this one performs better down low (albeit does not get as much gain in the top end as the offset)

mmmsxc
27-07-2007, 10:03 AM
thats great. my injen is arriving on wednesday and should have it installed on the car by the weekend. i would post up my thoughts about it. i purchased it to hear the v-tech noise.

EUR003act
03-08-2007, 03:54 AM
K&N typhoon... sexiest vtec noise in the world! lol but im sure the fujita and injen make very similar sex sounds...

Alpine
03-08-2007, 08:10 AM
If there is no noticable gain in performance anywhere in the rev range like you state in your very excellent post, apart from the cool noise...I'm struggling to see the point of getting one.

Suntzu
05-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Well the dollar has improved a lot so I reckon this is the best intake to get performance/dollar. Im not going to wait for the jtune one cause the FUJITA looks identical to the injen/KN/Jtune unit and theres 38th of 4 poofteenths of difference in power. The FUJITA is about $200 USD plus $85 USD shipping so lets call it a $330 AUD landed.

see http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FUJITA-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-04-06-ACURA-TSX-CA-1007_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQihZ016QQite mZ260166938447QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

So can I get some long term comments on performance/noise of the FUJITA unit from owners here??

Go to love that 89c in the dollar FTW!

Pumped
05-10-2007, 10:21 AM
I just bought a Fujita CAI for an SP23 this week from america, $310aus posted.
Keen to see how the build quality and design compares to my injen on the euro.

Suntzu
05-10-2007, 10:46 AM
I just bit the bullet and ordered its should be about $320 aud landed. Thats sweet.

Header next...

maracer
05-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Excellent write up:thumbsup:

SRVTIR
06-10-2007, 09:15 AM
I just ordered the injen kit.

http://kandn.com/images/l/69-0025TP.jpg

$320 del to aus its 2 peices of piping so im guessin it wont sound as good..

im not really after performance but more of the look.. i have at the moment just a supercheap pod filter on the standard plastic piping.. at nite you can feel a difference and the sound............... mYYYYY GooooDDDD!!

You gotta love that VTEC sound!

Suntzu
06-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Man i would have got the Injen but it was $100 aud dear from ebay in the USD! Whered you get yours?

I wonder what the internal pipe difference and length difference there is between the Injen, KN and Fujita??

SRVTIR
06-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Try these links..

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_Air-Intake-Systems_W0QQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypa geZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfclZ3QQfgtpZQQfmmdZQQfmmkZ hondaQQfposZ2205QQfromZR2QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ2QQftrtZ1Q QftrvZ1QQfyhiZQQfyloZQQlopgZQQmppfqyZQQsabfmtsZ1QQ sacatZ38634QQsadisZ200QQsaobfmtsZinsifQQsaprchiZQQ saprcloZQQsargnZQ2d1QQsaslcZ2QQsatitleZQQsbrftogZ1 QQsofocusZunknown

OR This

[URLhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120161309433&rd=1#ebayphotohosting (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120161309433&rd=1#ebayphotohosting)[/URL]