PDA

View Full Version : We just may get the JDM CTR in Australia.

Pages : [1] 2

fasthonda
27-07-2007, 08:42 PM
I think I felt heart palpitations when I read the article.:eek:

http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/News/Type+R+sedan+enters+the+frame.html

jeffske
27-07-2007, 08:48 PM
wtfxorz....i am definitely interested.
power of wet dreams

Shimian
27-07-2007, 08:49 PM
sweet. hopefully the parts will fit the fd2.
I dont think they will as its pretty much the same car but with a few minor changes. maybe they will phase out the fd1/2 and replace with the type R?

skinnyboy
27-07-2007, 08:50 PM
thats great news, i don;t know why they worry about the fuel here, VPower, Vortex 98 and BP Ultimate are all high enough, and i hardly see there being a demand for these cars in rural Australia.

SHIFTY
27-07-2007, 08:50 PM
i just orgasamed!!!

xtercii
27-07-2007, 08:53 PM
I don't mind a power detune as long as everything else stays the same and I will most likely get this car.

EG30
27-07-2007, 08:54 PM
If that car makes it here I'm 98% certain that we'll buy one! Perfect for our needs being a 4 door and all the type R goodness crying out for the Mugen bodykit and wheels as icing on the cake.

JDM.Power
27-07-2007, 08:55 PM
very nice, i shall convince my sister to buy it, she hates the australian version. to ugly.

NightRyder
27-07-2007, 08:55 PM
CoooooOOOOooooLl!!!!........... :cool:

dmx
27-07-2007, 09:01 PM
I think I felt heart palpitations when I read the article.:eek:

http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/News/Type+R+sedan+enters+the+frame.html

Cool, i think i have to stop dress up my civic. save some $$$

xqwzit
27-07-2007, 09:09 PM
who ordered the uk ctr? lol

vteccoupe
27-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Please Come!

yfin
27-07-2007, 09:29 PM
it would be strange for this to happen. Does anyone know of any other market where there is 2 platform versions of the Civic Type R sold officially by Honda dealers?

I can't think of any. Not even in Japan. It is one or the other.

Can anyone think of any?

SHIFTY
27-07-2007, 09:33 PM
why not they do it with the accord..

accord and accord euro....

yfin
27-07-2007, 09:35 PM
why not they do it with the accord..

accord and accord euro....

But that happens in other countries too - what about the CTR though..

qstoria
27-07-2007, 09:38 PM
if they do then surely it will be significantly more $$$. if not then it will be a bit rough on the new owners of the FD2 if it happened anytime soon

slipangle
27-07-2007, 09:51 PM
wow! this is very good, and somewhat surprising news.

It would be interesting to see how they position this car if it's made available here alongside the FN2. Maybe they'll have to call the FD2 a "RR" or something?! :-). Regardless, I'm way more convinced that the FD2 sedan is a much more credible Type R offering and am putting aside the money in case it arrives.

BTW, EVO magazine has just reviewed the FD2 and given it five stars, the review draws comparison with the car as possessing the spirit of the NSX-R. High praise indeed.

EG30
27-07-2007, 09:52 PM
it would be strange for this to happen. Does anyone know of any other market where there is 2 platform versions of the Civic Type R sold officially by Honda dealers?

Can anyone think of any?

I would be bit strange indeed if they offer both versions of CTR here, but no stranger than having both the Accord 4 cyl and Accord Euro avail for our market.

With the AUD at such a high against the USD, Japn Yen and Thai Bhat but not strong at all compared to the UK pound and Euro $; makes you wonder if Honda Aust is considering replacing the 3dr with the 4 dr sooner rather than later indeed.

qstoria
27-07-2007, 10:03 PM
so FN2 is the uk ctr that we get and FD2 is the japanese ctr?

Waggy
27-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Holy shit.

Put me down for one!

Tofu
27-07-2007, 10:06 PM
hmm..that's an unusually short article for such "big" news...but eitherway...
Where do I sign? I don't care if this is $50k+...just hurry up and bring it in already!

jeffske
27-07-2007, 10:10 PM
im starting a savings account for this, just hope its under $50k....as someone mentioned our dollar is quite strong against the yen so hope they dont shaft us on price
edit: actually i would pay $50k IF they kept the brembos and all the rest and didnt "detune" it too much...i know they prob have 110 octane in japan but come on, is 98-100 really that different?

slipangle
27-07-2007, 10:12 PM
so FN2 is the uk ctr that we get and FD2 is the japanese ctr?

Yep! spot on

qstoria
27-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Yep! spot on

350G
27-07-2007, 11:05 PM
who ordered the uk ctr? lol

:cool::thumbsup: some PEOPLE out there hahahaha

sitta
27-07-2007, 11:07 PM

Can anyone think of any?

its hongkong and japan, apparently the japanese likes the shape of the uk ctr and in hongkong people just selling the two model by private imports (not by honda dealers and the jdm ctr is priced very very expensive in hongkong maybe around the same price as sti and evo. if this really comes i would regret buying my car, except for the jdm type r i've heard from hongkong magazine that the suspension is even harder than the uk, and bare in mind you are paying for a hardcore "type-r" the one deserved for its name. this means no stereo system to save weight lol. There are also a few comments on the magazine that jdm version is loosing the point of a type r since when you first think of a type r it will be a 2 doors not a 4 doors sedan. official figure they tested for 0-100 was around 5.9 second (bloody fast) as i remembered! and lsd!!! y didnt the uk ctr got lsd.... i keep skidding my wheel during hard acceleration until the vsa kicks in :'(

BusterSonic12
28-07-2007, 12:24 AM
omg!!! how true can this be??
i m willing to sell everything, to get this type R, the fn2r is shit, if this fd2r isn't detuned and has brembo calipers etc etc, i willing to pay $50k~!! please bring it

Tofu
28-07-2007, 12:44 AM
Anyone want to start a petition?

How many people here are willing to put a deposit down now to buy one?

d15z1SUX
28-07-2007, 01:07 AM
this civic type r is wrx rivalling performance... not sti though.

BusterSonic12
28-07-2007, 01:24 AM
Anyone want to start a petition?

How many people here are willing to put a deposit down now to buy one?

let's write letters to honda australia and support them LOL and show them our interest in the jdm civic

leeepa
28-07-2007, 01:39 AM
This is this shit yo! :O

The JDM CTR is the car of my dreams, and im sure the dreams of many others. I could see it selling extremely well in Aus as long as they are no more then 50k.

Fingers crossed :D

Malenic1981
28-07-2007, 01:52 AM
Bring it in that's all I can say, I'm willing to let go my S2K for this

jeffske
28-07-2007, 07:43 AM
this civic type r is wrx rivalling performance... not sti though.

on the track yes, road no

d15z1SUX
28-07-2007, 09:03 AM
i think this type r is the true type r enthusiasts type r. it will also cater for those who need the practicallity of a 4 door so in some ways it may appeal to a wider range. though the rear wing will just shout boy racer and maybe put some people off.

Q_ball
28-07-2007, 10:12 AM
That will be my new car in 1.5 yrs time if it does come :)
4 door ftw :) hahaha

350G
28-07-2007, 10:58 AM
omg!!! how true can this be??
i m willing to sell everything, to get this type R, the fn2r is shit, if this fd2r isn't detuned and has brembo calipers etc etc, i willing to pay $50k~!! please bring it

detune is a MUST unfortunately but who care as long as it is a FD not... that 206 lol

fasthonda
28-07-2007, 11:06 AM

Can anyone think of any?

On the 2nd of August Malaysia will be the first country outside of Japan to have the FD2 as an official import.I'm not entirely sure whether they will also receive the UK CTR.
The order for the FD2 will be only 100-120 per year for the Malaysian market.

[[d a n n y]]
28-07-2007, 12:01 PM
they should have brough the JDM CTR in would have been a smarter move for honda for cost as well
UK CTR and the current civics a completely different car.
atleast if they brought the JDM CTR the civic and the CTR could share parts which would be cost effective for honda
anyhow good to hear about this great news

killua888
28-07-2007, 02:58 PM
woooohooooo:D, damn good news this is!!! lets just hope the gay aussie laws don't screw us over.......if the fn2 is missing HIDs cause of these rules....it scares and pains me to think what they can or will pull out of the fd2:love:....

really hope this does come true, the fun and thrills of a type R (proper type r at that) mixed in with the practicality of 4 doors.

plus, will be great to see ppl modding the fd2 when this comes. the mugen kit looks soooooooo hot:love:

GupZ
28-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Hey guys, come back to reality. Is it really possbile to have 2 type-r in Australia?....Few things needa be considered.

1. It would definitely be detuned. Is a Must!

2. If it wouldnt be detuned and FD2 really comes to Australia, how about the remianing FN2 (Havent yet sold) in Australia? No one is gonna buy FN2, for sure!

3. Well, If it would be detuned, to what extend would be the kw decreased? same as FN2 148 kw(around)?

There are also a great considerable factors need to be considered, not just the above~

xtercii
28-07-2007, 03:46 PM
They can always discontinue the current type r when they bring in the 4 door...

xqwzit
28-07-2007, 04:01 PM
i hope if detuned wont be more than 10kw.
but hey its worth it for the looks on the fd2r

no offence but we all know what most ppl thinks about the fn2 looks.

wassup
28-07-2007, 04:11 PM

Can anyone think of any?

Singapore gets both cars. They recently both went onsale.

something like 104k for the Jap version and 106k for the UK version.

GupZ
28-07-2007, 04:13 PM

why is the price lower for the jap version?

is it been detuned?

straightR
28-07-2007, 04:40 PM
it will be detuned, and it looks like shit. What's all the type over? Every 2007 moddel car has a sexy interior.. big deal.

GupZ
28-07-2007, 04:58 PM

just checked the honda singapore web site, didnt see any FD2 there~

ennavoli
28-07-2007, 05:40 PM
FD2R in singapore is brought in by private importers, not Honda Singapore. The only type R Honda singapore brings in is the FN2R.

So the question is still on, which Honda brings in 2 type R (Jap and UK versions)?

I still think this is highly unlikely so don't get hopes too high.

just checked the honda singapore web site, didnt see any FD2 there~

dmx
28-07-2007, 06:05 PM
FD2R in singapore is brought in by private importers, not Honda Singapore. The only type R Honda singapore brings in is the FN2R.

So the question is still on, which Honda brings in 2 type R (Jap and UK versions)?

I still think this is highly unlikely so don't get hopes too high.

if unlikely, it's gonna be a bad manoever by Honda Australia managing director and CEO Yasuhide Mizuno.His comment will jeopardize FN2 sales.
So my opinion, JDM CTR will land here soon :p:p:p:p:p
btw, over $50K, no way, better get new model C-Class (extra a bit)
or Aurion sportivo (left over fund can be use for 20"wheel+Brembo):cool::cool:

NightRyder
28-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Considering the exchange rate between Australia and Japan has recently increased, and prediction is it will continue to increase, the AUD will benefit us.
So if this continues and Honda Australia does consider bringing in the FD2 downunder, the importation costs (from Japan) will be less than what it currently is for the FN2 (from the UK).
The Pound is always bigger but Yen... :D:D:D

So hopefully this will also benefit the costs involved in importing the JDM 4-door CTR here and have a competitive price tag. :cool:
BUT, lets just hope also they don't detune it that much nor sacrifice quality at the same time.

Either way, if the FD2 does come downunder, indeed I would seriously consider one. :D

Malenic1981
28-07-2007, 07:22 PM
I don't mind if it comes with few KW less, but as long as we get the rest of it it's all good to me (brembos, interior, suspension ect)

NightRyder
28-07-2007, 07:25 PM
I don't mind if it comes with few KW less, but as long as we get the rest of it it's all good to me (brembos, interior, suspension ect)

I totally agree with that mate! :D

Encor3
28-07-2007, 07:27 PM
detuning powerwise i think its fine because you can easily make up for it with IHE and the other kaboodle,
but changing suspension and brakes sorta thing is a big :thumbdwn:

GupZ
28-07-2007, 07:58 PM
if unlikely, it's gonna be a bad manoever by Honda Australia managing director and CEO Yasuhide Mizuno.His comment will jeopardize FN2 sales.

The news may not be a true one :eek:

Besides, except Japan, is there any honda dealers in other countries sell the FD2?

fasthonda
28-07-2007, 08:05 PM
The news may not be a true one :eek:

Besides, except Japan, is there any honda dealers in other countries sell the FD2?

Malaysian sales of the FD2 will begin on the 2nd of August.:)

aaronng
28-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Yeah, I'm from Malaysia. Makes me drool. But in a country where an engineer gets a starting pay of AU$6800 a year (before tax), the FD2 selling for AU$65000 will be hard for the average salaryman/woman to afford. Only those who are in the stock market (no capital gains tax there) will be able to buy cars like these. Heck, even a Proton costs AU$18000 there.

GupZ
29-07-2007, 12:58 AM
Yeah, I'm from Malaysia. Makes me drool. But in a country where an engineer gets a starting pay of AU$6800 a year (before tax), the FD2 selling for AU$65000 will be hard for the average salaryman/woman to afford. Only those who are in the stock market (no capital gains tax there) will be able to buy cars like these. Heck, even a Proton costs AU$18000 there.

$65000AU :eek:.................

350G
29-07-2007, 05:25 PM
$65000AU :eek:.................

Tax kills over there

spoondc2
29-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Yeah heard that from my fd too, better import cars back to malay haha

aaronng
29-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Yeah heard that from my fd too, better import cars back to malay haha

Personal imports also get taxed. Import after the Asean FTA is recognised in Malaysia.

MKI4EVA
30-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Going to try and get in contact with Honda PR today to confirm this article.

This is similar news to when they were considering the feesibility of bringing over the UK-r hatch.

You only have to look at the number of Evo IX's on the road these days to see that a more serious Honda is need for the aussie market. With the economy doing as well as it has over the last 5 years ppl are willing to spend more and if Honda don't take the market seriously it's their loss.

It may well be another 12-18 months before any of this comes true but if it does.....

FARK YEH!!!

BusterSonic12
30-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Going to try and get in contact with Honda PR today to confirm this article.

This is similar news to when they were considering the feesibility of bringing over the UK-r hatch.

You only have to look at the number of Evo IX's on the road these days to see that a more serious Honda is need for the aussie market. With the economy doing as well as it has over the last 5 years ppl are willing to spend more and if Honda don't take the market seriously it's their loss.

It may well be another 12-18 months before any of this comes true but if it does.....

FARK YEH!!!

yes yes yes yes yes ya ya ya yah yahhh ~~~!!! confirm please :thumbsup:

wilzee
30-07-2007, 10:54 AM
I'm was going to buy mags today. Now seeing this thread, I think i'll keep my money safe and start saving for the JDM CTR.

UNLS1
30-07-2007, 11:06 AM
i think this would be great, havin the 2 cars would cater for the die hard type r buyers and bring them back and then havin the UK Type R still for those that dont want the raw sports car and want sumthing with a few of the luxury featurs.

Id love the power of the jap one but would rather have the UK in the looks department. but thats Just my opinion :) I hate big spoilers ect and after selling so many of the civic sedans id just rather the hatch look.

R123
30-07-2007, 01:03 PM
wowow...

now das one BIG!!! little news out there man...

personally i think is LIKELY to happen, else the CEO wouldnt come out and say things like this.

So.. lets start the saving guys!

denot
30-07-2007, 01:41 PM
i think this would be great, havin the 2 cars would cater for the die hard type r buyers and bring them back and then havin the UK Type R still for those that dont want the raw sports car and want sumthing with a few of the luxury featurs.

Id love the power of the jap one but would rather have the UK in the looks department. but thats Just my opinion :) I hate big spoilers ect and after selling so many of the civic sedans id just rather the hatch look.

Dang!!!

New movie almost released:

FINAL SHOWDOWN: THE QUEST TO PROVE WHICH ONE IS THE REAL CTR

:p

UNLS1
30-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Dang!!!

lol i really dont care wats the real one, after reading all ur opinions i know know the uk one isnt really a 'real' type r, as im not a massive R fan like most of u blokes. Id still get the UKCTR just on looks more than anything, i cant stand that big spoiler and it just looks like the normal VTi with a wing from ebay on the back!

i love my climate, cruise, cd, and vsa for everyday driving! :angel:

GupZ
30-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Dang!!!

once the FD2 has been detuned, therer are no real 'type-r' in Australia.:(

Before buying the FN2, I was also thinking whether the FD2 would appears in here......but, i cant really take the whole design of the FD2...just like a very normal honda 4 door Vti....no matter how fast it is.

denot
30-07-2007, 03:41 PM
i cant really take the whole design of the FD2...just like a very normal honda 4 door Vti....no matter how fast it is.

isnt that the same with our previous CTRs?

IAMVTEC
30-07-2007, 03:49 PM

Agree

50k for a civic in any form is ridiculous.

Definitely get modded up Aurion instead.

350G
30-07-2007, 03:52 PM
once the FD2 has been detuned, therer are no real 'type-r' in Australia.:(

Before buying the FN2, I was also thinking whether the FD2 would appears in here......but, i cant really take the whole design of the FD2...just like a very normal honda 4 door Vti....no matter how fast it is.

u are dead wrong

it is detuned because of our petrol quality or if u still want to make yourself feel better, yeah it is not 100% a real typeR but still at least a real typeR shape but not a 206 with all the typeR badges.

it is not a normal honda 4 dr vti or even sports...... u need to see one of the best motoring vid before you say that.
At least s 4 dr vti have some parts available from Mugen or even spoon

350G
30-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Agree

50k for a civic in any form is ridiculous.

Definitely get modded up Aurion instead.

i hope it wont cost more then 45k. but end of the day it is a Honda Type R. Dont compare it with Aurion LOL

GupZ
30-07-2007, 04:25 PM
u are dead wrong

it is detuned because of our petrol quality or if u still want to make yourself feel better, yeah it is not 100% a real typeR but still at least a real typeR shape but not a 206 with all the typeR badges.

it is not a normal honda 4 dr vti or even sports...... u need to see one of the best motoring vid before you say that.
At least s 4 dr vti have some parts available from Mugen or even spoon

LOL....yeah...i agree that FN2 looks like a 206, and i also have a feeling that FD2 is similar with Toyota Camry (which the situation is even worst). By the way, it is totally depends on personal preference.

YOu already have a bias against the FN2, not able to dsicuss this anymore.
Go & buy a type-r badges to make your honda a type-r man~:thumbsup:

denot
30-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Go & buy a type-r badges to make your honda a type-r man~:thumbsup:

so if u got a DC2 - GSi and buy a DC2R, DC2R is not a Type R? DC2R is only a DC2 + type-r badges? or if UK ppl buy a CTR there, is the same if they buy a Civic Hatchback + Type R badges?

:confused: me confused...

GupZ
30-07-2007, 04:30 PM
so if u got a DC2 - GSi and buy a DC2R, DC2R is not a Type R? DC2R is only a DC2 + type-r badges? or if UK ppl buy a CTR there, is the same if they buy a Civic Hatchback + Type R badges?

:confused: me confused...

Ask 350G :p

NeoNode
30-07-2007, 04:37 PM
but, i cant really take the whole design of the FD2...just like a very normal honda 4 door Vti....no matter how fast it is.
And I can't help but notice, that the European CTR looks just like their normal base model counterparts, no matter how fast it is. ;)

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/3225/hondacivic871024x768uc7.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1092/hondacivic0610247681se2.jpg

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/623/83976753ld4.jpg

denot
30-07-2007, 04:39 PM

ummm i think I'm pretty much understand what he sed... but confused on what you sed (the one I quote) :p

anyhow... myself prefer the Acura CSX style for our CTR :p

350G
30-07-2007, 04:41 PM

he quoted your message mate:p

GupZ
30-07-2007, 04:42 PM
and its obviously that honda is wasting a huge amount of money for FN2 promotion and advertising if the CEO say sth like the article have said.

LOL...if i were the CEO, i will not tell the truth to the public untill HONDA has confirmed to import the FD2...LOL

350G
30-07-2007, 04:42 PM
[QUOTE=NeoNode;1275360]And I can't help but notice, that the European CTR looks just like their normal base model counterparts, no matter how fast it is. ;)
[QUOTE]

nah..... the stickers at least

MKI4EVA
30-07-2007, 04:47 PM
and its obviously that honda is wasting a huge amount of money for FN2 promotion and advertising if the CEO say sth like the article have said.

LOL...if i were the CEO, i will not tell the truth to the public untill HONDA has confirmed to import the FD2...LOL

CEO can do shet like that man.........:D;)

GupZ
30-07-2007, 04:47 PM
And I can't help but notice, that the European CTR looks just like their normal base model counterparts, no matter how fast it is. ;)

so what do you think about the JDM CTR and the Sport Civic in here?:o

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x166/Gupz4148/car_civicgalleryext05.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x166/Gupz4148/213.jpg

UNLS1
30-07-2007, 04:49 PM
...just like a very normal honda 4 door Vti....no matter how fast it is.

thats the thing with the jap one, all the internals and sus, interior ect are type R and great!, but from the outside just looks like a riced up civic with bolt on cosmetics from autobarn!

GupZ
30-07-2007, 04:52 PM
thats the thing with the jap one, all the internals and sus, interior ect are type R and great!, but from the outside just looks like a riced up civic with bolt on cosmetics from autobarn!

LOL...i can't help but notice, that lots of ppl are still staying in 10 years b4:p

denot
yay!!! spot the difference!!!! :p
1. Honda badge
2. Honda Grill
3. Fog Lamp
4. Side Mirrors
5. Wheels (its rotating to fast on the CTR, cant tell what brand :p)
6. Rear Wing
7. Seats (sports seat vs Cheapo Leather)
8. Sunroof

Do I win anything? :p

GupZ
CEO can do shet like that man.........:D;)

Unbelievable man~:eek:

xtercii
30-07-2007, 04:54 PM

I don’t hear people complaining about STIs look a riced up RS…

BusterSonic12
30-07-2007, 04:56 PM
yay!!! spot the difference!!!! :p
1. Honda badge
2. Honda Grill
3. Fog Lamp
4. Side Mirrors
5. Wheels (its rotating to fast on the CTR, cant tell what brand :p)
6. Rear Wing
7. Seats (sports seat vs Cheapo Leather)
8. Sunroof

Do I win anything? :p

conclusion is we WANT JDM CIVIC TYPE R !!! IN AUSTRALIA!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

NeoNode
30-07-2007, 04:57 PM
so what do you think about the JDM CTR and the Sport Civic in here?
I don't really care, I pretty much took what you said and replaced JDM with European and somehow the statement still holds true. ;)

GupZ
30-07-2007, 05:03 PM
LOL...Wotever guys

NeoNode
30-07-2007, 05:12 PM
thats the thing with the european one, all the internals and sus, interior ect are type R and great!, but from the outside just looks like a riced up civic with bolt on cosmetics from autobarn!
Fixed ;)

I have nothing against you guys, but being so strongly biased is not cool.

[[d a n n y]]
30-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Fixed ;)

I have nothing against you guys, but being so strongly biased is not cool.

your not cool lol
JDM>UKDM>AUDM

GupZ
30-07-2007, 05:44 PM
];1275444']your not cool lol
JDM>UKDM>AUDM

AHAHhAHHA

NeoNode
30-07-2007, 05:56 PM
];1275444']your not cool lol
JDM>UKDM>AUDM
Haha i'm not in denial or hypocritical like some FN2 owners on this forum either LOL!
But you know Danny, the truth hurts HAHAHA!

350G
30-07-2007, 06:23 PM
so what do you think about the JDM CTR and the Sport Civic in here?:o

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x166/Gupz4148/car_civicgalleryext05.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x166/Gupz4148/213.jpg

Do u know what u are talking about?
this CTR can beat all previous typeR plus match up and tailgate a NSX typeS on track @ Best Motoring

350G
30-07-2007, 06:25 PM

Dont tell me it is how u tell you customers when u are back in the old days while DC2R or DC5R were just out.

the Magic of R speaks for itself

NeoNode
30-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Do u know what u are talking about?
this CTR can beat all previous typeR plus match up and tailgate a NSX typeS on track @ Best Motoring
Just let it go man, lol the amount of bias in this thread is disturbing.
Neither side will budge, so there's no use haha.

Encor3
30-07-2007, 06:30 PM
honda needs a hot hatch, because that market is untapped by them ever since the ek4 (vti-r) stopped selling.

Also need a "sports" sedan so it can make sense that honda au would sell both concurrently.

xtercii
30-07-2007, 07:17 PM
I like your theory hehe...

UNLS1
30-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Dont tell me it is how u tell you customers when u are back in the old days while DC2R or DC5R were just out.

the Magic of R speaks for itself

nah i moved on from the old days...
:D

dmx
30-07-2007, 07:48 PM

please note, autobarn not sell 4-pot brembo brakes, rear wing with real carbon fiber part and legendary 18" type-r wheels (white)
but this place sell :):):)
http://www.gtmotoring.com/civic-fgfd-jdm.htm

xtercii
30-07-2007, 07:58 PM
but they sell brembo covers, fake carbon vinyls and 18in white spinners, those should make a pretty authentic replica...

ennavoli
30-07-2007, 07:58 PM
please note, autobarn not sell 4-pot brembo brakes, rear wing with real carbon fiber part and legendary 18" type-r wheels (white)
but this place sell :):):)
http://www.gtmotoring.com/civic-fgfd-jdm.htm

LOL. I don't think he really means "autobarn sells it", he is just quoting an example that the FD2R looks like an ordinary civic which is souped up with exterior parts.

Anyway it is really a challenge for Honda Australia to get it, as according to Temple of VTEC, Honda Japan's R&D development team will point to the UKDM CTR for any requests for the JDM CTR and say "The european CTR is what is made for your market." Still a long way to go for negotiations and this is by no means a certainty.

IAMVTEC
30-07-2007, 09:51 PM
i hope it wont cost more then 45k. but end of the day it is a Honda Type R. Dont compare it with Aurion LOL

45k is at edge of reasonable. 50k is not reasonable price. You cant charge something at more than 2 times the price of base model, its not that different.

Of course cannot comapre with Aurion. Aurion is a whole class up! in size and engine capacity. So should be more expensive than a Civic.

Jaso
30-07-2007, 09:56 PM
You cant charge something at more than 2 times the price of base model, its not that different.

Ummmm Holden and Ford :p ...oh wait, more like 3x !

Jaso
30-07-2007, 10:00 PM
And I can't help but notice, that the European CTR looks just like their normal base model counterparts, no matter how fast it is.

Maybe thats why we got the FN2R...to create that extra little bit of differentiation over the range of civics we already have here.

IAMVTEC
30-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Ummmm Holden and Ford :p ...oh wait, more like 3x !

but then most Holden/Ford loyalists are not the most rational consumers or intelligent humans, actually where we come from we call them as morons.

IAMVTEC
30-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Maybe thats why we got the FN2R...to create that extra little bit of differentiation over the range of civics we already have here.

Agreed. We dont need any more FD shaped 4 door honda shape sedans in Australia. The streets are already overrun with Accord Euros and Civics, sometimes I feel like Im stuck in a Honda sponsored game when driving on the streets. Its obsurd

bring in something new and exciting.

NeoNode
30-07-2007, 10:09 PM
If you read the quote within that reply, then you would know I was taking the piss out of certain forumers for their strong bias.

EKVTIR-T
30-07-2007, 10:24 PM
but then most Holden/Ford loyalists are not the most rational consumers or intelligent humans, actually where we come from we call them as morons.
That's gold!:thumbsup:

Jaso
30-07-2007, 10:46 PM

nnot really...maybe you should join them :thumbdwn:

Dont think its fair you make a blanketing, sweeping statement like that. Try towing a boat or caravan in your Civic :wave:

IAMVTEC
30-07-2007, 10:50 PM
I said most, not all. MOST

I think a lot of Honda owners are morons too, if that helps.

mpd076-chuck
30-07-2007, 11:10 PM
nah i moved on from the old days...
:D

They are not old days. The days still exist of us who want a Track car from the factory, which Honda used to provide.
"Honda Australia managing director and CEO Yasuhide Mizuno told Wheels. “I think Australian people love racing and young people like these high performance vehicles."
The JDM CTR is one of these. Let's hope it comes here. Things like built-in Oil Coolers and baffled Oil sumps show it's intent.

However, I am not bashing the FN2, it fits a market and I'm sure is a great drive. I do not believe that it's primary purpose is to be a track car, but that is totally fine, it is still a great car for the people it is aimed at. Two different aims, two different cars. See the difference and let each be!

UNLS1
31-07-2007, 08:48 AM
ur right chuck, as i said b4 it will be good having 2 cars to cater for both kinds of cutomers.

mr173
31-07-2007, 08:48 AM
If they really come, I can afford and I will order one stright away, but hopefully they just detune and don't remove the bambo brake! As we can easily modify the ECU to fix the detune, but it's very expensive and hard to get the original bambo brake.

slipangle
31-07-2007, 08:53 AM

I think enthusiast Type R owners are less concerned about appearances than what's under the skin. The way I see it, the FD2R basically has a form created by a function of it's requirement for aerodynamic considerations (e.g. that rear wing does actually create downforce) within a broader limitation of the main body panels in which (I would assume) it would not be economically viable to modify. Sure, the car has to have a sporting element about it's looks as well, but it shouldn't look as though a STYLIST has dictated the aesthetics, which, in my book is a big turn-off.

I think they did a good job with the FD2R as it looks sufficiently different to the standard car without being OTT with stylistic elements like silver painted fuel filler covers and shrouds around brake rotors to make it look bigger!

If we were more concerned about looks and cared little for substance, we'd probably all drive Alfa's.

ennavoli
31-07-2007, 09:02 AM

:thumbdwn:
I disagree. You should not generalize people/brands like that, every brand has their rotten apples.

dmx
31-07-2007, 03:57 PM
45k is at edge of reasonable. 50k is not reasonable price. You cant charge something at more than 2 times the price of base model, its not that different.

Of course cannot comapre with Aurion. Aurion is a whole class up! in size and engine capacity. So should be more expensive than a Civic.
that's why. aurion sx6, 200kw V6, only around 43k(onroad).so what for buying JDM/UKDM CTR ?:eek:

nnot really...maybe you should join them :thumbdwn:

Dont think its fair you make a blanketing, sweeping statement like that. Try towing a boat or caravan in your Civic :wave:
if for towing caravan/boat, don't buy sedan, drive 4WD !:cool:

Agreed. We dont need any more FD shaped 4 door honda shape sedans in Australia. The streets are already overrun with Accord Euros and Civics, sometimes I feel like Im stuck in a Honda sponsored game when driving on the streets. Its obsurd

bring in something new and exciting.
from bussiness prespective, YES! need a diversity of product.
but sometimes theory and reality are different :confused:

NeoNode
31-07-2007, 05:15 PM
that's why. aurion sx6, 200kw V6, only around 43k(onroad).so what for buying JDM/UKDM CTR ?:eek:
Why is the Aurion even compared to the CTR?

If you believe an Aurion SX6 is a "performance car" that could rival a CTR, then marketing at Toyota has done it's job.

Compare Apples with Apples, not Apples and Oranges.
Comparing power outputs is not one of them, nor is suggesting other cars that doesn't fit the target market.

sitta
31-07-2007, 07:45 PM

If you believe an Aurion SX6 is a "performance car" that could rival a CTR, then marketing at Toyota has done it's job.

Compare Apples with Apples, not Apples and Oranges.
Comparing power outputs is not one of them, nor is suggesting other cars that doesn't fit the target market.

you cant even compare apple to apples at the moment, ctr is at its own league with n/a engine rivaling armies of turbos

NeoNode
31-07-2007, 08:20 PM
you cant even compare apple to apples at the moment, ctr is at its own league with n/a engine rivaling armies of turbos
Hot Hatch vs Hot Hatch is considered Apples vs Apples.
While a Hot Hatch vs Family Car with bodykit is not.

Put it this way, is a Mercedes E55 vs BMW any less relevant than a Golf GTi vs CTR?

Look beyond just their engine aspiration of choice and you'll see they are designed to compete in the same market.

industrie
01-08-2007, 10:48 AM
i say to honda australia bring the the damn car in...hence everyone is satisfied but you expect the car to be less than 50K.

denot
01-08-2007, 12:35 PM

Agree with you!!!! How can u compare Aurion with Civic??? :confused:

Hot Hatch vs Hot Hatch is considered Apples vs Apples.
While a Hot Hatch vs Family Car with bodykit is not.

Put it this way, is a Mercedes E55 vs BMW any less relevant than a Golf GTi vs CTR?

Look beyond just their engine aspiration of choice and you'll see they are designed to compete in the same market.

I believe you cant compare two different car no matter if both of them are N/A or Turbos, 2 doors or 4 doors, hatch or sedan, still an apple is an apple, a civic is a civic, a lancer is a lancer, cant compare one species with diff species :p

xtercii
01-08-2007, 12:41 PM
hahah your theory is funny, maybe in the next olympics 100m sprint we should have asian compete with asian, white compete with white and so on...

NeoNode
01-08-2007, 12:54 PM
I believe you cant compare two different car no matter if both of them are N/A or Turbos, 2 doors or 4 doors, hatch or sedan, still an apple is an apple, a civic is a civic, a lancer is a lancer, cant compare one species with diff species :p
Now you're just being silly, you might as well not compare anything because their names are different.

Here's an example, in your analogy which can't be compared based on "A Civic is a Civic, a Lancer is a Lancer..."

Toyota Aygo, Peugeot 107, Citroen C1.

But because with your analogy a Toyota Aygo is a Toyota Aygo, Peugeot 107 is a Peugeto 107 and a Citroen C1 is a Citroen C1, they can't be compared because you can't compare one species with a different species as you say.

But funnily enough all 3 cars are built by the same factory and share the same DNA underneath, yet are designed to look different, offering customers a choice, yet all 3 cars are targeted at one particular market.
But if I was to purposely leave that last bit of information regarding all three cars being the same underneath with a new skin, you would tell me they can't be compared ayes ;)

NeoNode
01-08-2007, 01:10 PM
hahah your theory is funny, maybe in the next olympics 100m sprint we should have asian compete with asian, white compete with white and so on...
Haha Denot's analogy is more like, you have to be identical twins to be even considered Apple vs Apple. LOL!

denot
01-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Haha Denot's analogy is more like, you have to be identical twins to be even considered Apple vs Apple. LOL!

I sed "compare" not "compete" why you want to compare between runners @ 100m? I think compare and compete is two diff words dont they? Then again I might just being silly then (like NeoNode sed...)

NeoNode
01-08-2007, 01:24 PM
I sed "compare" not "compete" why you want to compare between runners @ 100m? I think compare and compete is two diff words dont they? Then again I might just being silly then (like NeoNode sed...)
Do people not compare cars like they do with athletes to find which/who is better?

CTR vs Golf GTi, Michael Jordan vs Shaq?
In order to to find a winner from a comparison, do cars not compete in races or tests and athletes compete in competitions?

denot
01-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Do people not compare cars like they do with athletes to find which/who is better?

CTR vs Golf GTi, Michael Jordan vs Shaq?
In order to to find a winner from a comparison, do cars not compete in races or tests and athletes compete in competitions?

athletes and cars are not compete to find the winner of comparison... then again M.J. is a Guard and Shaq is a Center... can you compare them using your theory? :p

anyway... after all this out of topic convo, I'm still happy if JDM CTR really comes to Oz... ^_^

NeoNode
01-08-2007, 01:46 PM
athletes and cars are not compete to find the winner of comparison... then again M.J. is a Guard and Shaq is a Center... can you compare them using your theory? :p

anyway... after all this out of topic convo, I'm still happy if JDM CTR really comes to Oz... ^_^
com·pete
to strive to outdo another for acknowledgment, a prize, supremacy, profit, etc.; engage in a contest; vie: to compete in a race; to compete in business.

Now you're telling me to compare two cars does not mean they end up competing?

V8 Supercars comparing Holden against Ford (to compete in a race)

Magazines compare cars all the time, why would they bother with laptimes, 0-100km/h, braking distances etc etc.(engage in a contest)
Aren't these numbers compared across different cars to show who reigns ontop? (to strive to outdo another)

And please, I don't compare things based on a technicality. I see Michael Jordan and Shaq as athletes, likewise I see a CTR and Golf GTi as Hot Hatches, not a CTR is a CTR and a Golf GTi is a Golf GTi.

Here i'll make another example.

There's two athlete runners. Runner A and Runner B
I want to compare Runner A and Runner B against each other to see who is better.
And in order to compare Runner A and Runner B, they'll need to compete in a race of a 100m dash to the finish, how else am I going to know who is better if they don't compete?

If you still don't think Comparing and Competing goes hand in hand most of the time, especially with cars, then I have nothing more to say.

denot
01-08-2007, 01:54 PM
And please, I don't compare things based on a technicality. I see Michael Jordan and Shaq as athletes, likewise I see a CTR and Golf GTi as Hot Hatches, not a CTR is a CTR and a Golf GTi is a Golf GTi.

If you compare M.J. and Shaq as athletes, then you compare CTr and Golf as cars or hot hatches or 4 wheelers or items? :confused:

NeoNode
01-08-2007, 02:11 PM
If you compare M.J. and Shaq as athletes, then you compare CTr and Golf as cars or hot hatches or 4 wheelers or items? :confused:
Don't be stubborn man, use common sense!

No shit you don't compare them as "Cars" because it's too general of a word.
So you be more specific and refer to such cars like the CTR and GTi as hot hatches, because they fit the criteria of being a hot hatch.
Ford Falcons, Holden Commodores fit the prerequisite of being family cars, and that's as specific as it needs to be.

You on the other hand, are being too specific, which makes your analogy look silly and absurd.

I believe you cant compare two different car no matter if both of them are N/A or Turbos, 2 doors or 4 doors, hatch or sedan, still an apple is an apple, a civic is a civic, a lancer is a lancer, cant compare one species with diff species

One would compare MJ and Shaq as athletes within the basketball genre if it needs to be more specific, but that's as far as you should go! Common sense would've told you that, instead of sitting there picking out technicalities, save that for the court room.
I could've used Golf, Swimming, anything really for my examples, but I wouldn't go as far as saying they cannot compete because they are not from the same race.

It's all common sense ffs.

UNLS1
01-08-2007, 02:16 PM
this thread is going downhill

Hullabaloo
01-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Was the "official" reason we didn't get the jap spec k20a in our DC5 due to 98 octane not being readily available?
Or is it that regardless of availability, 98 isn't good enough as 100 octane (or higher?) is available in japan?

if reason number 1 was the case, maybe with 98 octane being more more common the chances of us getting a less detuned version?

as a side, are the evos, sti's, ferrari's, etc that australia get all considered detuned?

xtercii
01-08-2007, 03:12 PM

It is comparing in a way, they are just putting a bunch of human being on a track to compare their sprinting ability by who crosses the line first and who has the fastest time. :D:D:D

aaronng
01-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Was the "official" reason we didn't get the jap spec k20a in our DC5 due to 98 octane not being readily available?
Or is it that regardless of availability, 98 isn't good enough as 100 octane (or higher?) is available in japan?

The JDM k20a was tuned for 100RON. We only had max 98RON at the time and that was only in the major cities. As a result, Honda Australia probably specified that the engine be tuned to run on 95RON, hence the power decrease.

as a side, are the evos, sti's, ferrari's, etc that australia get all considered detuned?
Ferraris are not detuned because they are imported under SEVS. They did that because the low sales numbers would ensure a high resale value and that they didn't have to do any crash testing for them over here.

The AUDM STI's and EVO's are detuned. They make much less torque and power than the JDM ones (of course, JDM will always specify 208kW).

fasthonda
01-08-2007, 05:23 PM
In regards to Australian petrol,at this time 100RON is not readily available,wasn't Shell going to release a 100RON containing ethanol?
The sulphur content of our petrol is too high and this is also causing problems with new engines being developed by eg Audi,BMW.that is ,can't run in Australia with our quality of petrol.
The Australian Governement needs to legislate and force the oil companies to produce fuel with low sulphur content,good for engines,good for the environment and good for climate change.Such a change in our fuel would at least eliminate one obstacle to Honda or any other car company in importing high performance vehicles ala JDM Civic Type R.
I won't hold my breath:D

For you technical buffs(I'm not one) some info about the engine of the FD2R-http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/FD2K20AR/index.html

aaronng
01-08-2007, 08:45 PM
In regards to Australian petrol,at this time 100RON is not readily available,wasn't Shell going to release a 100RON containing ethanol?
100RON from 1 brand of petrol which is also not available at EVERY Shell station in the country does not count as widespread availability. If we want engines tuned to run on 100RON from the factory, every petrol station of every brand will have to start selling that first.

The sulphur content of our petrol is too high and this is also causing problems with new engines being developed by eg Audi,BMW.that is ,can't run in Australia with our quality of petrol.
No, it is not the sulphur. Sulphur will affect direct injection engines (like those from Audi, BMW, VW and Alfa Romeo's JTS). The K20A is not a direct injection engine, so all sulphur will do is contaminate your engine oil a little sooner.

The Australian Governement needs to legislate and force the oil companies to produce fuel with low sulphur content,good for engines,good for the environment and good for climate change.Such a change in our fuel would at least eliminate one obstacle to Honda or any other car company in importing high performance vehicles ala JDM Civic Type R.
I won't hold my breath:D
Our fuel is good enough. Even if sulphur reduces the octane rating, the fuel is still tested to 98RON, thus preventing pre-ignition. Honda Australia can decide to tune the FD2R for 98RON instead of the traditional 95RON like they have done. It just depends if they believe that there are enough petrol stations selling 98RON in the country.

fasthonda
01-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Ok then, what Honda is saying about our petrol then is a lie?they should have no problem bringing out the JDM CTR ie no tuning of the engine.If they have to detune it then the problem must be our fuel:confused:

aaronng
01-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Ok then, what Honda is saying about our petrol then is a lie?they should have no problem bringing out the JDM CTR ie no tuning of the engine.If they have to detune it then the problem must be our fuel:confused:

JDM CTR is tuned for 100RON. We have only 98RON everywhere. Our 100RON is not available widely enough for them to consider bringing the FD2R still tuned for 100RON.

Jaso
01-08-2007, 10:13 PM
At the end of the day theres very little anyone can do to influence weather the FD2R comes to Aus or not. A list of Honda enthusiast's names on a petition supporting the car coming here is very different to that same group of people handing over the sum of money it costs to buy that car...which would be more than the FN2R.

BusterSonic12
01-08-2007, 10:17 PM
just detune it and bring it over already!!!

Hullabaloo
02-08-2007, 12:37 AM
As much as I'd also love to see it get here to our shores, I still have doubts. I can't see them having two civic type r's here...

I think the biggest mistake they (Honda Australia) could make is to bring a downgraded (no brembros, etc) and detuned one here. If they brought a downgraded one then they might as well not bring one at all.

If the only difference was a slightly detuned engine (eg 154kw vs 166(?)kw jap spec) then I think it might do ok.

aaronng
02-08-2007, 03:02 AM
As much as I'd also love to see it get here to our shores, I still have doubts. I can't see them having two civic type r's here...

I think the biggest mistake they (Honda Australia) could make is to bring a downgraded (no brembros, etc) and detuned one here. If they brought a downgraded one then they might as well not bring one at all.

If the only difference was a slightly detuned engine (eg 154kw vs 166(?)kw jap spec) then I think it might do ok.
Well, Spoon already has an ECU mod for the FD2R, so if it was detuned, it would be easy to get it back to needing 100RON.

Not sure about the Brembos, I hope that it does come here (who can resist 4-pots). But it is a longshot considering how Honda Australia likes to snip features out to either reduce the price or make more profit (happened with the Accord Euro and Legend).

R123
02-08-2007, 09:21 AM
well yeh.. Lets hope HOnda will keep the brembos for god dame sake if they happen to bring the FD2 here...

come on... hopefully they get the VOice from ppl in regards to DC5.

add another 2k on the price and give the guys the dame break man. i mean u gotta have some talkin points for the car since recaro and momo are gone. Brembos has to Stay..

well i hope my dream come true~~

slipangle
02-08-2007, 12:38 PM
It would be interesting how they will go about specifying FD2R if it arrives. Of course, we wouldn't want it to be diluted in any way, although the fuel issue will definitely be a consideration that will affect the power output.

Other issues I'd imagine would be whether the factory is capable of committing to modifying their production processes to accommodate whether the car will come with/without brembos etc etc for our market. Especially given they aren't producing them fast enough to meet existing demand, how does accomodating AU fit in to the overall scheme of things?. Balance that with what Honda Au's decisions will be on how they would want to price it,...someone may say that it would be acceptable to sell the car without some components (or go cheaper) to keep the cost of the vehicle down?!. There are so many factors in play we'll just have to see how it pans out. One good thing though : It is a good step that the AU CEO has publicly expressed enough of an interest within Honda AU in investigating this opportunity, as, even if nothing comes of it (touch wood!), that someone recognises that there are enthusiasts out there who appreciate what Honda are REALLY capable of producing as an innovative, engineering focused company worthy of our positive awareness with Type R.

If we use the AU DC5R as a history lesson, what has Honda Au learnt about the decisions regarding how this car was presented and what would this mean for how the FD2R could potentially arrive on our shores? Surely there are many different circumstances between now and then which one cannot use to draw any definite conclusions about how the FD2R may be influenced by what has happened in the past, but one thing they now know is that the Type R loyalist consumer is not so easily hoodwinked in to believing that simply placing a Type R badge can fool the buyer in to thinking that they are getting Honda's most perfomance focussed effort - did this affect their sales expectations with the DC5R? I really don't know what outcomes or lessons were learnt from this... maybe someone can comment on this.

I see the best outcome for us in the future, as a consumer and enthusiast is to start off with the JDM car as is, tuned for 98RON, and any small modifications for ADRs, but to keep all the other elements intact at a price up to $50K. That would be a very compelling value argument. Get some credible journalists on board to review and detail the car and more people would be aware that Type R really is something special. No other manufacturer makes cars like these anymore without going to the GT3 end of the market. What's even more impressive is that Honda can do it at a price which makes it accessible to more of the masses.

mpd076-chuck
02-08-2007, 03:41 PM
JDM CTR is tuned for 100RON. We have only 98RON everywhere. Our 100RON is not available widely enough for them to consider bringing the FD2R still tuned for 100RON.

Hey Aaron, you might be best to answer this...
It seems the FD2R being released in Malaysia has the 165kw engine.

http://www.honda.com.my/

I thought maximum readily available RON in Malaysia was 97?

Does this mean Honda Australia are purely cost cutting if they detune? Thoughts?

sitta
02-08-2007, 09:55 PM
with the currency conversion it cost around 65000 oz dollar on road in malaysia... shit...

denot
03-08-2007, 04:17 PM
with the currency conversion it cost around 65000 oz dollar on road in malaysia... shit...

Hahahah... but the other version of Civic is more expensive over there anyway

how come in Langkawi its a lot cheaper??? AUD$40k

aaronng
03-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Hey Aaron, you might be best to answer this...
It seems the FD2R being released in Malaysia has the 165kw engine.

http://www.honda.com.my/

I thought maximum readily available RON in Malaysia was 97?

Does this mean Honda Australia are purely cost cutting if they detune? Thoughts?
You should read WHY the FD2R is being released in Malaysia. Then you will understand why they are bringing in a 100RON engine into a country that sells only 97 RON. :)

Anyway, at the price that it is being sold in Malaysia, the buyers would be rich enough to afford racing fuel (which can be purchased through the many thousands of work/tuning shops) anyway.

aaronng
03-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Hahahah... but the other version of Civic is more expensive over there anyway

how come in Langkawi its a lot cheaper??? AUD$40k

Langkawi is a tax-free island. Downside is you can't bring the car out of there. Langkawi also has very nice mountain roads and a small track. So if you are rich enough to have a house there, just keep the car there and fly up for the weekend for a fang. Did I mention that it is a small island and therefore there is almost zero traffic police there? They only have the regular cops that stay in the police stations that respond to emergency calls.

NightRyder
03-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Guys,
you might think this could be purely speculation or may even be true but from a source I've received, this is the news (and please don't beat me up for this as I am purely passing on information that I have been told :) ):

Honda Australia is seriously considering bringing the FD2 into Australia. At the moment of course nothing is 100% but from what I have been told, those high above in the management level (of Honda Australia) who normally decide on bringing certain models and numbers into the country rarely make decisions which don't just go unjust.

The word is, once all the 1,200 FN2's are sold out that would be it for the FN2 CTR's. Yes, (from what I have been told) after the 1,200 FN2's are all gone there is a strong chance that Honda Australia will start bringing in the FD2.

Due to the not-so-much-hype and the cost of bringing these FN2 cars from the UK, obviously Honda Australia had to think of other alternatives and this may be it.

Fact: It is much cheaper to have cars shipped from Japan than it is the UK and surprisingly there were numerous inquiries about the 4-door (FD2) CTR than the current 2-door (FN2) CTR, by Honda fans like us.

Honda Australia isn't obviously confirming anything as the R&D department have to analyse all aspects of the car and its logistics. And one of the factors which all know about is the fuel quality that we have here compared to Japan.

So, if this is real 'information' then I'm sure it will be fantastic news for us Honda fans. And I will be lining up for one. :)
But if not, then as mentioned this is purely 'information' obtained from a car expert who knows someone from Honda Australia.

:cool:

mpd076-chuck
03-08-2007, 10:33 PM
You should read WHY the FD2R is being released in Malaysia.

Got a link?

I read the TOVA articles and the reasoning there is "The Civic Type-R is only the beginning and if it succeeds, it will lead to more such desirable models for Malaysia and elsewhere across the world."

So they want the car in full effect to really show people what Honda can do? Or because it will compete against the WRX and Golf GTI and it needs to be as competitive as possible? I assume with the TOVA quoted extremely limited numbers (10 units a month) running 100 RON can be justified as you say by tuning shops etc.

For those wanting to read TOVA article.
http://asia.vtec.net/news/myJDMCTR/index.html
http://asia.vtec.net/news/myJDMCTR/index1.html

PS - Many thousands of tuning shops... that sounds pretty cool, I don't know much about the Malaysian tuning scene. :)

bigdongers
03-08-2007, 11:37 PM
If the UK CTR keeps selling, why not keep bring it in? No need to drop it because they want the sedan.

I am interested to know how they will position the JDM CTR. Will it be a WRX competitor or STI/EVO competitor? If you look at the kit, its definitely STi like (brembos etc) but power is not really up there.

I also feel that 50K is far too high. $45k maybe but definitely no higher.

bigdongers
03-08-2007, 11:40 PM
oh and its a dedicated 4 seater. Why not 5 seats??

jrs_ke11
04-08-2007, 12:00 PM
if we do get the FD2 we better get it in Championship White

aaronng
04-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Got a link?

I read the TOVA articles and the reasoning there is "The Civic Type-R is only the beginning and if it succeeds, it will lead to more such desirable models for Malaysia and elsewhere across the world."

So they want the car in full effect to really show people what Honda can do? Or because it will compete against the WRX and Golf GTI and it needs to be as competitive as possible? I assume with the TOVA quoted extremely limited numbers (10 units a month) running 100 RON can be justified as you say by tuning shops etc.

For those wanting to read TOVA article.
http://asia.vtec.net/news/myJDMCTR/index.html
http://asia.vtec.net/news/myJDMCTR/index1.html

PS - Many thousands of tuning shops... that sounds pretty cool, I don't know much about the Malaysian tuning scene. :)
http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=697556&page_number=1&

In this thread, "WongKN" is the same guy that runs Temple of VTEC Asia. It's solely because of him that Malaysia is getting the FD2R.

aaronng
04-08-2007, 12:15 PM
BTW, for about the 97 RON issue, : http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=698129&article_id=697986

buddah51au
04-08-2007, 02:56 PM
I would be 1 of the first to order 1. I need the versitiliy of a 4 door sedan and i am not overly keen on the 2 door ctr, and that clear plastic below the reat spoiler....bad move.

industrie
04-08-2007, 03:26 PM
its definately a honda cost decision, the euro is already bought in from japan, so why not bring the FD2 as well, in limited numbers to replace the hatch, or have both selling, but again in limited numbers...that way honda brings back the racing formula which honda was well known for back in the 90's! again 40-50K would be the price for this car

mpd076-chuck
04-08-2007, 08:28 PM
BTW, for about the 97 RON issue, : http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=698129&article_id=697986

thanks! :thumbsup:

MKI4EVA
04-08-2007, 09:30 PM
theres more hype/interest about this one come'n to aust than the hatch.............hahhaha

it'll happen for sure!!!.

So who wants to place bets on when? 18months?

killua888
05-08-2007, 05:48 AM
So who wants to place bets on when? 18months?

hmmmmm, 18 months, sounds long but in a way reasonable....but come to think of it. when the FN2 was released here it seemed like it didn't take that long between the leaking of news to the actual release..........

so maybe hopefully the FD2 will only take slightly long compared to the FN2......i really hope this thing comes to australia.

you guys reckon the insurance will be around the same as the FN2 if it comes??

MKI4EVA
05-08-2007, 10:23 AM
hmmmmm, 18 months, sounds long but in a way reasonable....but come to think of it. when the FN2 was released here it seemed like it didn't take that long between the leaking of news to the actual release..........

so maybe hopefully the FD2 will only take slightly long compared to the FN2......i really hope this thing comes to australia.

you guys reckon the insurance will be around the same as the FN2 if it comes??

from reading the other links in this thread I think we should expect very low volumes.............

wonder what look dealer would give if you walk in and ask to place a $500 deposit on one today.......hahahah.

johnn
05-08-2007, 10:33 AM
So I'm guessing there are going to be a price increase for the JDM CTR....

fasthonda
05-08-2007, 10:39 AM
So I'm guessing there are going to be a price increase for the JDM CTR....

It's the Honda Motor Company;any chance they can apply a hefty premium on a car ,THEY WILL.

MKI4EVA
05-08-2007, 01:25 PM
It's the Honda Motor Company;any chance they can apply a hefty premium on a car ,THEY WILL.

I can't imagine it being more than $47-$50K on road.

fasthonda
05-08-2007, 02:35 PM
I can't imagine it being more than $47-$50K on road.

If I got the price of 2,835,000 YEN correct for the FD2,a straight out conversion is approx $28,200 AUS ,of course there are other costs involved such as transportation,duties etc.if it does come to Australia.
It's a shame that Thailand is not geared up to produce Type Rs,because of the Free Trade agreement between the two countries and if Honda wasn't too greedy, we could probably buy the FD2 for about $43,000 on the road.

aaronng
05-08-2007, 05:46 PM
If I got the price of 2,835,000 YEN correct for the FD2,a straight out conversion is approx $28,200 AUS ,of course there are other costs involved such as transportation,duties etc.if it does come to Australia.
It's a shame that Thailand is not geared up to produce Type Rs,because of the Free Trade agreement between the two countries and if Honda wasn't too greedy, we could probably buy the FD2 for about $43,000 on the road.
Part of the reason why the FD2R is quick and responsive is because of the team of dedicated Type R engineers working on it. They probably are the same guys who used to hand refine the DC5R, NSX and S2000 engines. If they were to make it in Thailand, they would need to send their engineers over to Thailand for long term if they wanted to keep the quality of the FD2R's mechanical parts up. Remember, it is not only the chassis strengthening of the FD2R that is different from the normal FD2. The engine has critical hand-tuned parts that require an experienced engineer to work on. They can't replace experience with machinery or cheaper fresh labour.

MKI4EVA
05-08-2007, 08:49 PM
wow do you think that the R's product is that labour intensive?

don't they just come off a production line with all the bits bolted on and 1 R formula for that production line?

Part of the reason why the FD2R is quick and responsive is because of the team of dedicated Type R engineers working on it. They probably are the same guys who used to hand refine the DC5R, NSX and S2000 engines. If they were to make it in Thailand, they would need to send their engineers over to Thailand for long term if they wanted to keep the quality of the FD2R's mechanical parts up. Remember, it is not only the chassis strengthening of the FD2R that is different from the normal FD2. The engine has critical hand-tuned parts that require an experienced engineer to work on. They can't replace experience with machinery or cheaper fresh labour.

aaronng
05-08-2007, 08:59 PM

don't they just come off a production line with all the bits bolted on and 1 R formula for that production line?

I wish it was that easy. Then they could produce the FD2R at a quicker rate and meet the demand.

This is what goes into the engine alone: http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/FD2K20AR/index.html

fasthonda
06-08-2007, 01:52 AM

I just wonder if the turbo charged engines from eg Golf GTI,Megane Sport,XR5 etc go through as many processes as a Type R engine from a FD2R ,maybe taking the turbo route by some manufacturers is an easier and cheaper option?
Someone with more indepth knowledge about engines maybe could answer.:confused:

aaronng
06-08-2007, 02:20 AM
I just wonder if the turbo charged engines from eg Golf GTI,Megane Sport,XR5 etc go through as many processes as a Type R engine from a FD2R ,maybe taking the turbo route by some manufacturers is an easier and cheaper option?
Someone with more indepth knowledge about engines maybe could answer.:confused:

It depends on the engine. Most engines are well built that they can take forced induction without many changes. But the engine in the GTI, Megane Sport and XR5 are designed from the ground up to be turbo engines. Of course, they would have balancing and everything, but the tolerances would not have to be as tight as that in a high-revving NA engine. Also, an NA engine is more sensitive to tuning methods such as balancing, lightening, polishing and ITB. Unfortunately, those are the more expensive types of tuning to do on an engine. For any engine, the amount of positive pressure supplied in the intake charge produces the most gains. Doing the same balancing, lightening and polishing would cost more for less power as compared to just designing the engine to be tougher in the first place and using forced induction. So when you look at both engines, the design and manufacturing cost is similar, but NA engines are more labour intensive to produce.

slipangle
06-08-2007, 01:45 PM
To concur with aaron's comments. I went on the Porsche factory tour when they were assembling the Mk2 GT3's engine at the Stuttgart factory and they describe how much more labour intensive it is to produce the factory "specials". There was a separate section requiring dedicated "meisters" who would hand assemble, balance etc those engines that could not be done in the conventional production line.

In no way am I suggesting that Honda affords a similar proportion of their production budget in assembling Type R, but I would not be surprised at all if the costs to produce these cars are a LOT more than a standard Civic due to not being able to exploit economies of scale as a result of the customisation and specialist labour required to create the hardware that goes in to these cars. In that respect, paying $10-$15K more than a mainstream item is not an unreasonable ask. If anything, I suspect these cars make less profit for Honda as a product but is compensated for in the branding and awareness exposure.

aaronng
06-08-2007, 02:05 PM
Yes, the additional cost just to make an FD2R engine alone compared to a normal 147kW K20A would be similar to taking your k20a to a workshop and having it blueprinted, having I/H/E bolted on and reflashing your ECU. Even the header looks better than a Maximworks header, so don't use Xforce prices to calculate that. Calculate the cost and adjust for the cost of labour in Japan and you get a rough idea for the extra cost of the Type R engine.

Now, on to the chassis welding, bracing, suspension, bump/stroke sensors, dampers, springs, calipers, rotors, rims and tyres. $$$$$

BlitZ
06-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Yes, the additional cost just to make an FD2R engine alone compared to a normal 147kW K20A would be similar to taking your k20a to a workshop and having it blueprinted, having I/H/E bolted on and reflashing your ECU. Even the header looks better than a Maximworks header, so don't use Xforce prices to calculate that. Calculate the cost and adjust for the cost of labour in Japan and you get a rough idea for the extra cost of the Type R engine.

Now, on to the chassis welding, bracing, suspension, bump/stroke sensors, dampers, springs, calipers, rotors, rims and tyres. $$$$$

have u got pictures of the headers? can i see them, i am very interested..

aaronng
06-08-2007, 06:11 PM
have u got pictures of the headers? can i see them, i am very interested..

Here a screencap from Best Motoring:

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/6038/fd2headerslx7.jpg

And here's the translated info on the headers from Honda Japan's website:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.honda.co.jp/CIVICTYPE-R/technology/dualexhaust/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.honda.co.jp/CIVICTYPE-R/technology/dualexhaust/%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

slipangle
08-08-2007, 08:50 AM
came across this vid on what I assume was an FD2R press day at Suzuka. It's in Japanese, so don't really understand what he is saying (the only words I recognise are "fun" and "fast").

Interesting shot of the tyre's tread pattern and how widely the pattern (and compound?) varies across it's width.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycJUTiVOqjw

aaronng
08-08-2007, 09:39 AM
came across this vid on what I assume was an FD2R press day at Suzuka. It's in Japanese, so don't really understand what he is saying (the only words I recognise are "fun" and "fast").

Interesting shot of the tyre's tread pattern and how widely the pattern (and compound?) varies across it's width.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycJUTiVOqjw

They are just RE070s.

http://www.honda.co.jp/CIVICTYPE-R/webcatalog/tire-brake/potenza02/potenza02.jpg

The new RE001 Adrenalins also vary the pattern across the width. It's how asymmetric tyres are designed.

slipangle
08-08-2007, 10:21 AM
yeah, on the vid, where the tyre was shown without the show shine/releasing agent(?) all over it, there is a clear difference in the tone of the rubber on the outer, less treaded edge as opposed to the middle and inner sections.

aaronng
08-08-2007, 11:08 AM
yeah, on the vid, where the tyre was shown without the show shine/releasing agent(?) all over it, there is a clear difference in the tone of the rubber on the outer, less treaded edge as opposed to the middle and inner sections.

I think it's because of the increased tyre wear on the outer edges when you corner hard on the track.

They are still nothing special though. They are OEM tyres on the WRX STI since 2004.

shinji112
08-08-2007, 04:47 PM
i wonder how different a F20C engine is because the power output is much higher than that of the k20a

i'll add this in coz i got a kick outta watchin it.. its a lil off topic coz its a FN2 not the FD2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iq1QuBpkic&mode=related&search=

aaronng
08-08-2007, 05:00 PM
i wonder how different a F20C engine is because the power output is much higher than that of the k20a

i'll add this in coz i got a kick outta watchin it.. its a lil off topic coz its a FN2 not the FD2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iq1QuBpkic&mode=related&search=

If you make a k20a rev as high as an F20C and use more aggressive cams suitable for that RPM, it should make more as shown by the early Spoon FD2 Civic that used the k20a combo (revving up to 10,000rpm)

VT3C
09-08-2007, 11:59 PM
No official word as yet but considering the FN2 is selling out shipments in advance and that Swindon is at maximum production (meaning they cant increas numbers commin in) matched with the JDM CTR being considerably cheaper than it's Brittish sister.. you never know..

one thing to consider though is that MY09 sees a completely new Jazz and Euro being released in Australia and so Honda might not want to interfear with the hype surrounding the release of these models.. so my prediction is IF the JDM CTR comes it will be in MY10 (late 2009).

MY10 would also see a facelifted Civic and so this might be a good time to introduce the 2nd Type R (JDM CTR) variant to give a boost to the promotion of the facelifted civics.

plus there's always old-school lobbying power.. if everyone that posted on here wrote a letter (not an email) to HONDA AUSTRALIA demanding they bring in the JDM CTR.. you never know what might happen.. Honda Australia is a already bit startled with the (Continued) success of the FD civic model and never expected such a response with the Type R.. so is a good sign of things to come from Honda in Aust.

aaronng
10-08-2007, 12:07 AM
Honda Australia wouldn't really care. The way Malaysia got theirs was the owner of Temple of VTEC Asia going up to the CEO of Honda Japan and asking for it (he was in Malaysia during the JGTC). The guy then arranged with Honda Malaysia to carry out a written survey on current Honda owners. It's not an easy petitioning process. There is much more to do in addition to that.

ennavoli
10-08-2007, 08:41 AM
Honda Australia wouldn't really care. The way Malaysia got theirs was the owner of Temple of VTEC Asia going up to the CEO of Honda Japan and asking for it (he was in Malaysia during the JGTC). The guy then arranged with Honda Malaysia to carry out a written survey on current Honda owners. It's not an easy petitioning process. There is much more to do in addition to that.

This is true, Wong (owner of temple of VTEC) really did fight for the JDM CTR to go to Malaysia. First response of Honda Japan is always "Look at the UKDM CTR instead as this is the model approved for your country". There are alot of justifications to do, and this is going to be an uphill challenge to bring in the JDM CTR.

shinji112
10-08-2007, 08:46 AM
well it seems clear to me all we hafta do is fly over to japan and demand a meeting with the CEO of Honda Japan!!

R123
10-08-2007, 09:48 AM
geeeeeeeeeee that was such a herotic move of the Owner of Temple Vetc.

and the result is... a brand new page of the history.

awesome stuff

sitta
10-08-2007, 11:13 PM
oz honda should do that

aaronng
10-08-2007, 11:39 PM
oz honda should do that

Ozhonda doesn't have any negotiation power. Temple of VTEC is huge. When new models come out in Malaysia, WongKN gets invited to launches and is also given a vehicle for a few days to review. Ozhonda is nowhere near that. We are just an enthusiast forum. :)

match
13-08-2007, 11:57 PM
http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=699036&page_number=3&

too nice....... I'm a malaysian but too bad God wanted me to have FD1 instead ...

shinji112
14-08-2007, 01:01 PM
looks like semi-slicks on that http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/4889/p2ov6.jpg

aaronng
14-08-2007, 01:25 PM
It's the RE070, OEM tyre for the STI.

BusterSonic12
14-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Look Sooo Nice~!! would love hav a fd2R

killua888
15-08-2007, 11:16 PM
man that car is sex on wheels.......

am i allowed to say sex here? lol

all the kiddies here go away:p

slipangle
18-09-2007, 09:24 AM
A very interesting article about what has been going on in Malaysia to get their FD2R;

http://asia.vtec.net/Reviews/8GCivicRLaunch/index.html

Some points of interest;

- The provision for the Aus spec DC5R at the factory had paved the way for Malaysia to consider a DC5R for their own market, but ultimately, in the 12th hour the pin was pulled. Maybe Malaysia's efforts in building a Malaysian model FD2R at the factory will pave the way for us to get the FD2R, if so, THANKS in advance!

- History about their refusal to accept the AUS spec DC5R in the Malaysian market, despite wanting a "Type R" at the time...although it seems that they wanted the JDM car, or nothing at all. Great attitude! (no sarcasm intended as I believe that you get what you settle for - and we shouldn't settle for a dilution of Honda's best efforts).

- It only took a survey of 6 Type R owners to make up a part of "completely thorough market research"(?!) to serve as a catalyst for the decision to be made to bring the FD2R over there, surely there would be a wider captive audience in Aus if Honda AUS/Japan wanting any convincing that there would be enough interested parties here!.

- There is a domestic series of racing in Malaysia which were campaigning Honda's cars, which is further mileage for Type R awareness. I don't think there is any official (4 wheeled) racing that Honda are involved in in Aus (not that I'm aware of anyway).

- Various mods that were made to comply for Malaysia, thankfully, none to the guts of the hardware.

- Notes about the fuel issues given Malaysia also does not have access to RON-100 fuel.

- Despite the exorbitant cost of these cars in Malaysia (esp relative to the average wage), they estimated that they would only sell 60 per annum. So far, they've sold 50 in the first month, currently with a 6 month waiting list.

Encor3
18-09-2007, 09:47 AM
A very interesting article about what has been going on in Malaysia to get their FD2R;

http://asia.vtec.net/Reviews/8GCivicRLaunch/index.html

Some points of interest;

- The provision for the Aus spec DC5R at the factory had paved the way for Malaysia to consider a DC5R for their own market, but ultimately, in the 12th hour the pin was pulled. Maybe Malaysia's efforts in building a Malaysian model FD2R at the factory will pave the way for us to get the FD2R, if so, THANKS in advance!

- History about their refusal to accept the AUS spec DC5R in the Malaysian market, despite wanting a "Type R" at the time...although it seems that they wanted the JDM car, or nothing at all. Great attitude! (no sarcasm intended as I believe that you get what you settle for - and we shouldn't settle for a dilution of Honda's best efforts).

- It only took a survey of 6 Type R owners to make up a part of "completely thorough market research"(?!) to serve as a catalyst for the decision to be made to bring the FD2R over there, surely there would be a wider captive audience in Aus if Honda AUS/Japan wanting any convincing that there would be enough interested parties here!.

- There is a domestic series of racing in Malaysia which were campaigning Honda's cars, which is further mileage for Type R awareness. I don't think there is any official (4 wheeled) racing that Honda are involved in in Aus (not that I'm aware of anyway).

- Various mods that were made to comply for Malaysia, thankfully, none to the guts of the hardware.

- Notes about the fuel issues given Malaysia also does not have access to RON-100 fuel.

- Despite the exorbitant cost of these cars in Malaysia (esp relative to the average wage), they estimated that they would only sell 60 per annum. So far, they've sold 50 in the first month, currently with a 6 month waiting list.

:thumbsup:good post

d15z1SUX
19-09-2007, 09:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjgYBL8IET4

fn2r vs fd2r

dmx
19-09-2007, 10:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjgYBL8IET4

fn2r vs fd2r

JDM CTR won by 3 secs !!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
it's time to bring this car onshore :honda::honda:

d15z1SUX
20-09-2007, 12:14 AM
yeh it totally kicks butt lol

killua888
20-09-2007, 12:59 AM
lol, that chick kicks ass too.....she'd prob whoop me around a track....
but then again her driving position is funny....so close

back to topic, fd2r is a mile ahead of fn2r......3seconds on a small track but imagine if that race took place on a larger track, the gap would have been way more.

BusterSonic12
20-09-2007, 09:24 AM
should stop bringing in uk's and start bringing in some FD2R

Philip Lee
20-09-2007, 10:06 AM
should stop bringing in uk's and start bringing in some FD2R

unfortunately that's not going to happen in the short term i guess.

they would probably have signed a contract to bring 1200 FN2 in and demand for FD2 is far over supply.

Philip Lee
20-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Honda video: FD2 driven by drift king

http://www.honda.co.jp/CIVICTYPE-R/tasteof/tsuchiya-impre/

slipangle
20-09-2007, 11:20 AM
Honda video: FD2 driven by drift king

http://www.honda.co.jp/CIVICTYPE-R/tasteof/tsuchiya-impre/

Great find!

Can someone with an understanding of Japanese interpret some of the points he makes?

Another interesting thing about the TOV article was Honda R&D's decision making in Japan being fairly independent of the marketing department (or at least less influenced by the bean counters/marketing to the extent of how they (R&D) believe how a Type R performance car should be made). I'm quite inclined to believe that given how the FD2R turned out!

Philip Lee
20-09-2007, 11:35 AM
it is refreshing to see a manufacturer who puts the product first. eventhough it's only limited to a model out of a range.

FN2TypeR
03-11-2007, 06:34 PM
I'm staying loyal to the FN2. While the FD2 is 'crazy' it's not really suited to my style.

I guess the only bad news about bringing in the FD2 would only result in accelerated depreciation in FN2 values (or other Type Rs)

Keep an eye out on Carsales or Trading Post for an influx of DC5, FN2 and S2000s for sale when the FD2 comes out.

BusterSonic12
03-11-2007, 07:30 PM
^ hope it really does come =) then it will be all sweet

MKI4EVA
03-11-2007, 09:35 PM
If this thing comes out anything later than end of 2008.......do you think some ppl would have lost interest due to the model being around since 2006?

Nepolian
04-11-2007, 09:33 AM
If this thing comes out anything later than end of 2008.......do you think some ppl would have lost interest due to the model being around since 2006?

By then Evo 9's will be in the mid 30k range and people will be over the FD2R. It would probably still cost too much and too soon for grey imports to trickle in too. Personal import atm.

FN2TypeR
04-11-2007, 10:17 AM
By then Evo 9's will be in the mid 30k range and people will be over the FD2R. It would probably still cost too much and too soon for grey imports to trickle in too. Personal import atm.

The duties on private importing, if permitted, would be quite high thus rendering the FD2R unfeasible to import unless you're a die hard fan or just have too much money to burn.

BusterSonic12
04-11-2007, 10:33 AM
your allow to import FD2R if it is not for road use. like for Racing only.
then u can bring it in.

FN2TypeR
04-11-2007, 10:49 AM
your allow to import FD2R if it is not for road use. like for Racing only.
then u can bring it in.

Are you an experienced importer? How much do you think it'll cost to bring one into Australia for racing only?

BusterSonic12
04-11-2007, 10:55 AM
^ i m not an importer LOL so not sure how much.
But the official spoon distributor "Pro Concept" which is a workshop, they are planning to bring in a FD2R to join their Pro Concept Racing team.

Right now they got a FD2R engine tho, ready to be transfer into one of the three EK4.

aaronng
04-11-2007, 11:21 AM
It's still feasible because the brand new FD2R RRP is only AU$29,000 in Japan. Even if you add in $10,000 worth of import duties and fees, it's still only $40,000.

Too bad it can't be registered for use on the road...

clem
04-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Yeah but if you really wanted to drive it on the road, just de-mod the exterior modifications and make it look like a stock civic sport :)

MKI4EVA
04-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Are you an experienced importer? How much do you think it'll cost to bring one into Australia for racing only?

Hey bud, I can't help it but to comment on your avatar........do you realise honda under performed this year in F1? hehhehehhe jk.

hope they get back on their feet next season.

Good point about the EVO 9's being in the same price range by the time, if at all, the FD comes to play. Salivating at the day a R34 GTR is in the 30K bracket.

jeffske
04-11-2007, 03:50 PM
It's still feasible because the brand new FD2R RRP is only AU$29,000 in Japan. Even if you add in $10,000 worth of import duties and fees, it's still only $40,000.

Too bad it can't be registered for use on the road...

it might work out higher then $40k after duty,freight,insurance and GST

jeffske
04-11-2007, 03:53 PM
technically speaking, would it be possible to buy an FD2R in Japan, strip the whole car minus chassis and bring over all the components for re-assembly into a normal FD in Australia?
the engine size would be the same if you purchase the sports model,so would this need to be engineered?

dmx
04-11-2007, 06:31 PM
technically speaking, would it be possible to buy an FD2R in Japan, strip the whole car minus chassis and bring over all the components for re-assembly into a normal FD in Australia?
the engine size would be the same if you purchase the sports model,so would this need to be engineered?
i don't think so. my friend have JDM Civic type-r in singapore. he only mods air intake system but cause car unbalance and under power.
once he removed the air intake, everything back to normal.told by mech, civic type-r already engineered and balance as full whole integrated system.

jeffske
04-11-2007, 06:50 PM
i don't think so. my friend have JDM Civic type-r in singapore. he only mods air intake system but cause car unbalance and under power.
once he removed the air intake, everything back to normal.told by mech, civic type-r already engineered and balance as full whole integrated system.

but you would only be using the Australian chassis and the rest of the car will be the JDM ctr

CoupeTurbo
04-11-2007, 08:31 PM
depends on chassis mods, on the type r chassis compared to the aus spec.

xqwzit
04-11-2007, 09:32 PM
without the type R chassis its nothing, wont handle as good even if u have everything.

if u just after the power might as well stick the k20 from dc5r in or turbo it etc.

jeffske
04-11-2007, 09:44 PM
without the type R chassis its nothing, wont handle as good even if u have everything.

if u just after the power might as well stick the k20 from dc5r in or turbo it etc.

isnt it the exact same chassis? i thought the "FD2" denoted the chassis style
so if both cars use the FD2 prefix then they're the same
can someone confirm?

Encor3
04-11-2007, 09:55 PM
isnt it the exact same chassis? i thought the "FD2" denoted the chassis style
so if both cars use the FD2 prefix then they're the same
can someone confirm?

chassis style but doesn't mean they are the same.

ek Vti-r and ek Type r chassis are different.

FD is more referring to the shape.

The FD2R would have alot more welds to make it more rigid. just like the ek9 compared to ek4.

edit: correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure

andyhui01
04-11-2007, 09:59 PM
^that's what I thought as well, if its called FD2R, it should have the same chassis. Same goes to EK9 and the EK4, the chassis are different therefore have different codes. However, I won't be surprised if the FD2R has better Welding... etc.

Encor, the VTi-R and Type R have different chasis, hence EK9 and EK4, but now it is FD2 and FD2R

xqwzit
04-11-2007, 10:04 PM
fd2r chassis is more strengthened, tougher
someone can confirm i might be wrong :)

sitta
04-11-2007, 10:16 PM

yup that is true, as if standard fd chassis will be as strong as the type r

xqwzit
04-11-2007, 10:19 PM
haha thanks
if its exactly the same chassis everyone can just get the suspension setup and handle like one :P

FN2TypeR
05-11-2007, 08:17 AM
The Brits are getting it :(

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/272082.htm

Philip Lee
05-11-2007, 08:36 AM
the Brits are getting it via private imports.

the FD2R chassis is modded from the factory. it is stiffer in some area (refer to the red points) and lighter in others (refer to the orange points). full detail on the link below:

http://www.honda.co.jp/CIVICTYPE-R/webcatalog/body/

UNLS1
05-11-2007, 09:01 AM
yeah u cant go to a honda dealer in UK and order one.

lukits01
05-11-2007, 09:27 AM
we can get FD2R in Perth ;-)
Perth Dealer (http://www.dicksonsmotorgroup.co.uk/)

DropBear
05-11-2007, 09:54 AM

Ha! :D If only it were that easy...

gumbii
05-11-2007, 09:58 AM
lol i was excited in the time it took that page to load

aaronng
05-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Litchfield Imports in UK still gives a 3 year warranty on their grey-imported FD2R though. It's not like the import market here in Australia which is full of dodgy practices, even when importing a brand new car (you probably lose parts in between leaving japan and reaching your door).

CoupeTurbo
05-11-2007, 10:53 AM

The body shell of the new Civic Type 'R' has been especially developed to give maximum rigidity and whilst over 50% more rigid than the Integra is only 1.8kg more in weight!!

dmx
05-11-2007, 02:17 PM
Litchfield Imports in UK still gives a 3 year warranty on their grey-imported FD2R though. It's not like the import market here in Australia which is full of dodgy practices, even when importing a brand new car (you probably lose parts in between leaving japan and reaching your door).
if i now wrong, no other country have JDM CTR from the official dealer.ie. Singapore, UK, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Hong Kong. all from private importer.
wow... not expecting australia also has doggy importer, tought only in Asian Country:thumbdwn:

The body shell of the new Civic Type 'R' has been especially developed to give maximum rigidity and whilst over 50% more rigid than the Integra is only 1.8kg more in weight!!

ok, lets say, same chassis, anyone dare to import the whole parts (just minus body shell and chassis) :confused::confused:

Philip Lee
05-11-2007, 02:49 PM
if i now wrong, no other country have JDM CTR from the official dealer.ie. Singapore, UK, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Hong Kong. all from private importer.
wow... not expecting australia also has doggy importer, tought only in Asian Country:thumbdwn:

you are indeed wrong. Malaysia has official FD2R. http://www.honda.com.my/models/civicTypeR.cfm

andyhui01
05-11-2007, 03:39 PM
^yup... Malaysia is the only country outside Japan to officially get the FD2R

sitta
05-11-2007, 03:45 PM

WOW that place can get the new r35 GTR as well

slipangle
09-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Now the TOVers are ramping up a campaign as well;

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=717086

If the States get a decent allocation (which I assume Honda U.S would if it gets off the ground), watch for (more) supply problems from the Japanese factory!

FN2TypeR
09-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Agreed, the FD2R is the new king of front wheel, but the FN2R looks better :P

match
10-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Asians don't like to drive hatchback cars..... one of the reasons why malaysia was so into getting the FD2R. haha

aaronng
10-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Asians don't like to drive hatchback cars..... one of the reasons why malaysia was so into getting the FD2R. haha

No, the reason was because they wanted the true JDM Type R, not a watered down version.

DVS-00R
10-11-2007, 07:33 PM

You obviously havent been to Malaysia then, to have made that comment. I think the yen vs euro and the pound might have alot to do with the fesability aswell.

End of the day, if you had the choice, what do you reckon??

match
10-11-2007, 09:10 PM
You obviously havent been to Malaysia then, to have made that comment. I think the yen vs euro and the pound might have alot to do with the fesability aswell.

End of the day, if you had the choice, what do you reckon??

haha i was just kidding with that comment maybe coz i don't like hatchback cars. BTW i'm malaysian and my friend just got himself a FD2R to be collected at the end of the month. lucky and rich bastard.

Hacs
10-11-2007, 09:54 PM
If im not mistaken.. Toyota Aurion rear looks very similar.. those ba$tards..

dmx
11-11-2007, 08:44 PM
If im not mistaken.. Toyota Aurion rear looks very similar.. those ba$tards..
true, especially TRD Aurion, looks fierce and also "fierce" price :eek:

No, the reason was because they wanted the true JDM Type R, not a watered down version.
honestly, i'm not consider FN2R as civic type-r (no offense to FN2R owner).
FD2R is real Civic type-r, release from original Honda country :thumbsup:

aaronng
11-11-2007, 08:49 PM
honestly, i'm not consider FN2R as civic type-r (no offense to FN2R owner).
FD2R is real Civic type-r, release from original Honda country :thumbsup:
Fair enough, but remember, the JDM EP3R was designed and built in the UK as well. :)

FN2TypeR
11-11-2007, 10:31 PM
What you mean it's not a real Type R? It's branded Type R, sold as Type R, marketed as Type R, registered as Type R, insured as Type R, hell it even has Type R badges inside and out.

Integras and Civics with fake Type R badges are non type Rs.

What you're referring to is that there are 2 civic type Rs. One is for the european/australian market and the other is for the asian market. Both are Type R's no matter what you think it is.

Your FD1 is what we call a non Type R.

And don't give me that "its not as hardcore or raw" crap.