PDA

View Full Version : k20a for a 7th gen civic

NeuroX
16-10-2003, 10:22 AM
im really interesting in an engine conversion for my 7th gen civic. in the states, the most popular choice for the 7th gen civics are the k20a (out of a dc5 itr), so what are my chances a k20a in aus since its still a fairly new car?

coz this type of conversion is very uncommon, what other parts would i be lookin at ? as far as i know, no engine mounts are required - direct bolt on, new brakes and gearbox will be needed (as the dc5 have 6 speed), ecu?

all comments welcomed. . . :D

crx2gen
16-10-2003, 03:04 PM
Cost might be an issue - as you noted the K20A is a relatively new engine and therefore harder to source...if you ask me, unless you're dead set on using the DC5 ITR engine, the b18c7 may be a more realistic proposition, and even that isn't exactly cheap. You'd want to look for a front cut also, not just the engine, so you have everything included and don't have to run around chasing parts.

Are your intentions to remain all-motor or would you consider forced induction later on...if so, perhaps a crvtec hybrid and the like would be a better option...

best of luck with whatever you choose.

Setanta
16-10-2003, 03:20 PM
I hope you are rich :)

Front cut would be your best bet I guess, but finding one might be a hassle.

NeuroX
16-10-2003, 04:14 PM
staying true to honda, i wanna keep it n/a. nothing like the sound of a screaming vtec enigne @ high rpm :D

i got a quote from an importer - 10k+ for a k20a jap spec halfcut. is there that much difference with the jap spec and oz spec??
maybe i should wait till next year, hopefully someone would've written off a dc5 by then :wink:

ALLMTR
16-10-2003, 06:31 PM
I'm sourcing my K motor from NZ, if that is any help

7th Gen
16-10-2003, 06:38 PM
a few people have done this in the states already:

www.7thgencivic.com

always good to have another 7th gen here........

eknine
16-10-2003, 08:59 PM
as far as i know, k-series does not cost as much as the b-series....

if you want know exact, i can ask..coz they usually have ready k-series and provided they are not too bz to reply, coz i know they do supply to NZ & US

NeuroX
16-10-2003, 09:34 PM
greatly appreciated if u could find out the cost :D and by ready do u mean 1/2 cut or just the engine?

ALLMTR
16-10-2003, 09:48 PM
I'm after just the K20a complete cylinder head if any one trips over one

sesshoumaru
17-10-2003, 12:12 AM
i'd turbo charge it dude...

seems to me like it'd be a more cost effective idea... but neither route would be cheap.

DC2R engines cost a fair bit, i'd hate to think how much a DC5R one would cost :shock:

poid
17-10-2003, 08:27 AM
I saw some K20a's going for about 9k once, that is the cheapest i've ever seen them. Cant remember whether that was a front cut or just engine.

Unfortunately things are pretty expensive when they are still pretty new, would be a nice conversion though :)

eknine
17-10-2003, 02:02 PM
very lucky, they are not bz,

Price for K20A complete package = USD3500 - USD4000 excluding shipping. The range would depend on the condition of the engine.

price quoted in USD, cos they rather not understate or overstate..so USD is more or less there..

it is not a half cut, i would presume complete mean everything..coz query was based on engine+tranny+intake manifold+ecu+harness and it came back with the reply "complete package"

eknine
17-10-2003, 02:05 PM
again prices for b-series like b16b and b18CR cost more than the k-series.

oops have to add, maybe not for the b16b but it still be arond the k-series asking.

pix of the engine can be supplied if v.keen (condition apply) coz i know ppl
can be just time wasting and i don't like to burn bridges over queries:o)

NeuroX
19-10-2003, 01:41 PM
wats the difference between the complete package and the half cut then? and will the complete package have everything required the for the swap?

at this stage im just keen/interested/researching stageit would be another couple of months before anythign is done

eknine: who did u get the quote from? and r they based in australia?

eknine
20-10-2003, 10:04 AM
they are not based in australia.

but they do supply to NZ and US from asia:o)

prices fluctuate in relations to demand.

and i didn't probe too much, but its not a half cut.

hope that helps :)