PDA

View Full Version : Civic Type R Owners With Third Gear Issues Please Read

Wazza
27-07-2007, 11:48 PM
After owning my FN2 for a week and having third gear 'pop out' about five times a day I called my dealer today to discuss the problem. They in turn called Honda Australia who suprisingly have never heard of the problem that Honda UK have now acknowledged, and even went as far to say that the gentleman responsible for dealing with these problems only just returned from the UK last week and even he has never heard of the problem. Furthermore, there has not been one report of the problem from a customer at this stage.

My dealer has suggested that they have a look at the car at the 1000km service and that if they witness the problem then they can report it, but at this stage that is all they can do. However, I am far from satisfied with this solution, because after spending over $40,000 surely I could expect that someone at Honda Australia could contact Honda UK ask if there has been any reported problems, instead of simply writing off my researched information as internet heresay.

I guess that Australian owners may have to report the problem to customer service in the same way as UK owners have and by weight of numbers Honda Australia may actually take note and realise that there is a problem. I am going to call the customer relations freecall number on 1800 804 954 ASAP to officially report the problem to get the ball rolling. If anyone is having the same problem please call the freecall number and also post in this thread, and hopefully we can get something done.
Waz

Tofu
28-07-2007, 12:18 AM
does this apply to DC5 TypeS?
Does anyone know if the DC5 TypeS has the same gearbox as the UK CTR?

I get exactly the same symptoms and talked to my dealer today at my 30,000km service. They say they took a look at the internals (clutch and flywheel) and they didn't see anything and couldn't fault it...will have to go for a test drive and see if it happens during the drive.

sitta
28-07-2007, 08:44 AM
wazza obviously your problem is worst than mine. Mine pops only when the gear box is cold maybe at the first 10 minutes of driving and thats about it. What i have problem with now is the paint job, they chip way too easily

xtercii
28-07-2007, 10:37 AM
that's bad, you don't expect brand new cars to have gearbox problems like that...

Wazza
28-07-2007, 02:52 PM
does this apply to DC5 TypeS?
Does anyone know if the DC5 TypeS has the same gearbox as the UK CTR?

I get exactly the same symptoms and talked to my dealer today at my 30,000km service. They say they took a look at the internals (clutch and flywheel) and they didn't see anything and couldn't fault it...will have to go for a test drive and see if it happens during the drive.

Unfortunately no. I am wishing to raise awareness with Honda Australia of the documented third gear problem in the Civic Type R, if you wish to do the same for the DC5S separately then please feel free to do so....

Wazza
28-07-2007, 03:00 PM
wazza obviously your problem is worst than mine. Mine pops only when the gear box is cold maybe at the first 10 minutes of driving and thats about it. What i have problem with now is the paint job, they chip way too easily

I live in Tasmania though mate, it is always cold, hence why third gear always pops out. At the end of the day, I think we can have certain expectations when buying a brand new car, and you should not even have to accept that when the car is cold you will have problems with third gear.

I cannot agree more with the paint work, soft, soft, soft.... At present I have one chip from one week of ownership, so say in three years I will have a completely metal bonnet like a Delorean, I will be happy as long as I can travel through time too....

turbo convert
28-07-2007, 10:52 PM
I cannot agree more with the paint work, soft, soft, soft.... At present I have one chip from one week of ownership, so say in three years I will have a completely metal bonnet like a Delorean, I will be happy as long as I can travel through time too....[/QUOTE]

hehe the delorean:p

Tofu
28-07-2007, 11:23 PM
Unfortunately no. I am wishing to raise awareness with Honda Australia of the documented third gear problem in the Civic Type R, if you wish to do the same for the DC5S separately then please feel free to do so....

what I am trying to say is if the gearbox is the same part number as the TypeS, then this way we might have more numbers to bring to Honda Australia.

sitta
29-07-2007, 12:41 AM
I live in Tasmania though mate, it is always cold, hence why third gear always pops out. At the end of the day, I think we can have certain expectations when buying a brand new car, and you should not even have to accept that when the car is cold you will have problems with third gear.

I cannot agree more with the paint work, soft, soft, soft.... At present I have one chip from one week of ownership, so say in three years I will have a completely metal bonnet like a Delorean, I will be happy as long as I can travel through time too....

one chip is alright i guess, in my 3-4 weeks of ownership i have hundreds of chips on my bonet and front bumper

GupZ
29-07-2007, 12:28 PM
one chip is alright i guess, in my 3-4 weeks of ownership i have hundreds of chips on my bonet and front bumper

Im betta than you...in 2 weeks of ownership, i have three chips on my bonnet:(

lukits01
30-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Just made the call to honda hotline provided above
was told he will send an email to honda head office
and I will be contacted shortly regarding the matter
as much as I hate it, guess we shall have to sit this one out

Wazza
30-07-2007, 08:48 PM
I made the call on Saturday and was promised that a representative would return my call early in the week, so i guess i will give them until Thursday and then call again....

Has anyone else made the call yet?

GupZ
30-07-2007, 09:43 PM
just picked up my FN2 for nearly 3 weeks time so far...havent yet got the 3rd gear problem

Chris_typer
30-07-2007, 09:54 PM
just picked up my FN2 for nearly 3 weeks time so far...havent yet got the 3rd gear problem

I have had the FN2 for almost a week an haven't had the issue either, so I wondering whether it is just a certain group of cars with the problem. Although in the morning I leave my car idling for maybe about 5 minutes before taking off and maybe this has helped remedy the problem, as everyone has posted the problem has occured only when the engine is cold. If problems are still occuring only thing I can suggest is letting the Honda mechanics have a look at it. From what I have been reading in some of the UK forums the problem is quite frequent in the earlier models of the Civic although in the more recent models not as much, however they have all said that it is a problem only when the car is cold.

James The Wog
30-07-2007, 10:01 PM
if your bonnet and bumper are chipin easly you should take it to a spray painter get the affected areas "stone Gaured" and painted, will work a treat

yfin
30-07-2007, 10:48 PM
I Although in the morning I leave my car idling for maybe about 5 minutes before taking off

That is not a good idea. It is better for you car to reach normal temp quickly by driving moderately until the engine has warmed up. Don't let it idle for more than 1 minute when it is cold

Jaso
30-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Whys that? Interested cause I do the same thing...

NeoNode
30-07-2007, 10:51 PM
Whys that? Interested cause I do the same thing...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/Kazaf/idlearticle.jpg

Taken from Kazaf.

57UDD
31-07-2007, 12:51 AM
i've had my CTR for over a month now and this incident hasnt occured on my car as well. will have to keep an eye on it.

DUST
31-07-2007, 10:32 AM
There is laws against idling LOL!

Even in ur car manual it says its best to only idle for 30 secs to 1 min, then drive of, even in the coldest weather.

I showed my friend, who drives a DC2R, my car manual and he still won't listen... :(

Limbo
31-07-2007, 11:17 AM
gezzz Type R civics should be called the New Excels now aye?
I know huyundai had alot of problems with their GB when they first came out.

I'm suprise they haven't just gotten their mechanic to look at it and fix the problem.

Chris_typer
31-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Geez you learn something new everyday.

Always an extremist in the community...every car has minor problems when they get released.

Tofu
31-07-2007, 07:20 PM
well, you'd think better made cars will have less faults...

Chris_typer
31-07-2007, 07:26 PM
well, you'd think better made cars will have less faults...

Yes well my mother had a Mercedes Benz and it had problems when it first came out aswell...its just a fact of life, not everything comes out of a production line perfect there is bound to be faults in every car you buy..you just have to hope that the faults are minimal.

GupZ
31-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Yes well my mother had a Mercedes Benz and it had problems when it first came out aswell...its just a fact of life, not everything comes out of a production line perfect there is bound to be faults in every car you buy..you just have to hope that the faults are minimal.

Got a frd who bought a VTI jazz 2-3 years ago, she also gots some minor problems wiv her brand new car, and have gone back to the dealers for part replacement.

So there are possiblities for brand new cars to be faults, sometimes it depends on your luckiness.

Chris_typer
31-07-2007, 07:51 PM
So there are possiblities for brand new cars to be faults, sometimes it depends on your luckiness.

Thats true...lets just hope they can mend this problem quite quickly as apart from that I haven't seen any other problems with the car.

lukits01
01-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Just got a call back from Honda customer service
they advise that anyone who has had a problem
bring the car back to the dealer to get it checked out and verified
and Insist that the dealers raise a 'Quality Report'
he told me that he hasnt received enough of these reports to warant a fix.

I believe there was a way to bring out the problem on the CTR forum?
"You can actually make the gear do standing still with the engine off, the technician at my Honda dealer actually found this out. if you keep going in and out of 3rd lifting the clutch now and then the problem is bound to happen in like 1 out 10 tries."

Tofu
01-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Thats true...lets just hope they can mend this problem quite quickly as apart from that I haven't seen any other problems with the car.

sure, i can accept new cars will have problems, but having problems with minor things compared to having this gearbox problem is rather different won't you say?

this is a serious problem as far as i'm concerned. And Honda pride themselves on their manual gearbox...:(

Wazza
01-08-2007, 08:03 PM
I received the call back from customer service yesterday and the representative too insisted that I return to my dealer to verify the problem and if the problem is found a report can be lodged. I explained about the situation in the UK, with Honda UK acknowledging the problem and that a fix was being released mid August, and then insisted that the representative contact Honda UK to find out the exact situation for me...

My words included ''I am very surprised that no one at Honda Australia is aware of this" and "Just taking my car to my dealer is not a good enough solution, can you contact Honda UK for me?"

So the representative will be contacting me again tomorrow (hopefully) with more information.

Chris_typer
01-08-2007, 08:25 PM
I received the call back from customer service yesterday and the representative too insisted that I return to my dealer to verify the problem and if the problem is found a report can be lodged. I explained about the situation in the UK, with Honda UK acknowledging the problem and that a fix was being released mid August, and then insisted that the representative contact Honda UK to find out the exact situation for me...

My words included ''I am very surprised that no one at Honda Australia is aware of this" and "Just taking my car to my dealer is not a good enough solution, can you contact Honda UK for me?"

So the representative will be contacting me again tomorrow (hopefully) with more information.

Hope you can get it fixed buddy...hasn't happened to mine yet and hope it never does..but hopefully Honda can do something for you, there usually pretty good.

aaronng
01-08-2007, 08:51 PM
I know huyundai had alot of problems with their GB when they first came out.

I'm suprise they haven't just gotten their mechanic to look at it and fix the problem.

DC5R had a similar problem with their 2nd gear.

Jaso
01-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Give it time, as these cars a really new in Aus. Only a small portion of the people that actually have the problem would have written in with regards to to the issue.

Wazza
01-08-2007, 11:53 PM
How many people here have now reported the problem to Honda Australia?

BlitZ
02-08-2007, 12:16 AM
u should be able to find the honda service bulletin on the net.. from honda.

print it out if one exist and go WTF.. u dont know jack shit, i want a new car

scollops
02-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Well I called Honda Australia this week on the 3rd Gear issue - was told they didnt have any details on it. Besides the car Spec was different from UK or other countries - So that basically put an end to any further assistance from them, take it to the dealer to look at....been there done that.....

Is there a Specific tech Bulletin on this in the UK ?

Just a question - I cant recreate the issue by parking up and just throwing in 3rd gear .....seems to occur more in the high rev bound, doesent engage properly and your end up grinding and looking stupid.

Wazza
13-08-2007, 07:14 PM
My car went into the dealer today for its 1000km service with the objective of recreating the third gear problem. After half an hour of the service advisor trying to recreate the problem with me in the car we gave up and headed back to the dealership. So at this stage my case has been reported to Honda's Tech Department who are only acknowledging that a few phone calls have been received about the issue, but no issue has physically been recorded. My only comfort came when the service advisor assurred me that when Honda UK release the ''fix pack'' and if in turn it becomes available in Australia that they will fix my car by taking my word for it, and will not actually have to witness the problem for themselves.

Wazza
13-08-2007, 07:29 PM
I was just counting how many of us have experienced the problem between here and the UK forums, the list so far...

Wazza
Sitta
Lukits01
Scollops
Bluedog
Edd
Firejack018
BF52
Moons (Test Drive)

Please let me know if you are using a different username on each forum and I have doubled up

At a guess if Honda Australia have sold approximately 100 CTR's then almost 10% of owners are experiencing the issue, so call Honda customer service guys....

OMG.JAI xD
13-08-2007, 08:46 PM
ay manz goodluck with gettin the problem fixed.

probably not a main problem with the CTRs.
jst a couple rare ones that doesnt turn out so good.
guess youre just one of the unlucky ones :/

i work on some euro/german cars n sum have an uncommon fault that are found in only some cars.
bt yeh .. some dealerships arent much help ay?
all they care abt it is, you bought the car, they have the money, full stop.

well again, goodluck man.

Gleny AUS
13-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Hi guys, picked up my CTR on Friday and I have noticed that there is a resistance in getting the car into 3rd gear. My '02 ITR suffered a similar problem with 2nd gear brand new so I figured it was just "growing pains" of running in a new vehicle.

I'm yet to experience a pop out at this stage but now that I have read this thread I will pay closer attention to it. Thanks for sharing your experiences guys.

I for one feel as if I've been a test monkey with this new car given the experience I've had with certain aspects of general ownership and accessory installs so far. I must admit though, it is a love hate relationship. Wrinkles aside it is a pleasure to drive and I'm happy I decided to purchase one.

The downsides of early adoption :(

aijii
14-08-2007, 12:04 PM
Hey Glen,

Its Adrian here - I think i test drove your (red?) ITR a few weekends back - you met me at my work.

Reason I didn't call back was... I changed my mind, I bought a Black CTR instead :)

Pick it up today..... what issues have you had with it ?

aij-

Hi guys, picked up my CTR on Friday and I have noticed that there is a resistance in getting the car into 3rd gear. My '02 ITR suffered a similar problem with 2nd gear brand new so I figured it was just "growing pains" of running in a new vehicle.

I'm yet to experience a pop out at this stage but now that I have read this thread I will pay closer attention to it. Thanks for sharing your experiences guys.

I for one feel as if I've been a test monkey with this new car given the experience I've had with certain aspects of general ownership and accessory installs so far. I must admit though, it is a love hate relationship. Wrinkles aside it is a pleasure to drive and I'm happy I decided to purchase one.

The downsides of early adoption :(

ginganggooly
14-08-2007, 12:29 PM
So whats the resident dealer's take on all this?

Paging UNLS1 (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/member.php?u=3924)

stix
14-08-2007, 12:38 PM
seems to occur more in the high rev bound, doesent engage properly and your end up grinding and looking stupid.

hey this 3r gear thing happened to me while i was test driving the demo car.
looked like a real noob and apologised for it but good to know that it wasn't my fault.

cheers for the updates guys! keep em comin plz.
gonna hold out on buying mine til i see that this issue has some sort of resolution.
:cool:

Zdster
14-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Goodluck to you all. I feel your pain however I wouldnt get my hopes up with Honda Australia. I have found that their aftersales service has dramatically fallen over the past few years.

Sidor
14-08-2007, 01:37 PM
So whats the resident dealer's take on all this?

Paging UNLS1 (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/member.php?u=3924)

keep silence .... :)

they just want to sell you one and do not mention 3rd gear issue at all.

every dealer saying that CTR is in great demand and everyone has to put a deposit right now !

but Honda Australia sales figures are not available yet for the last two months - it would be interesting to know how many CTR have been sold ...

I would not be suprised that they are selling than 120 estimated figure per moth.

Gleny AUS
14-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Hey Glen,

Its Adrian here - I think i test drove your (red?) ITR a few weekends back - you met me at my work.

Reason I didn't call back was... I changed my mind, I bought a Black CTR instead :)

Pick it up today..... what issues have you had with it ?

aij-

Hi Adrian, yep, one in the same ;) No woz mate, as you were fully aware I had already started the trade process so no harm done. Dammit, at least you could've done is text! ;) j/k...

Not to send the thread spiraling off topic, the car is brilliant. It drives well, it sits well and it's more comfortable than the ITR plus I get all my "creature comforts" back. My main concern is the accessories. The Honda iPod kit disables your iPod and you can't change this and the Honda Bluetooth car kit only projects sound out of the LHS speaker. Anyone considering these accessories GO 3RD PARTY! They are not worth the Honda inflated costs and 3rd party will better suit your needs...

chylld
15-08-2007, 01:00 AM
if it's at all relevant, the american civic si coupes are well-known for similar problems with 3rd gear:
Third gear not fully engaging/popping out... (http://8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20078)

more threads on 3rd gear problems:
3rd Gear Just Got Crazy on Me... (http://8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49137)
3rd gear problems poll (http://8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39193)
Third Gear Getting Worse.. (http://8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37769)

aijii
15-08-2007, 09:39 PM
Well, picked my car up, and yeah, i too notice its "stiff" getting into 3rd... unless i slam it in.

It happens during up AND down shifting, also noticed the "two clicks" to get it into 3rd. hasn't popped out for me either, i don't think its THAT bad of a problem... not yet anyway...

KurtKLiu
19-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Hi, guys. I bought new CTR one week ago. After done almost 1000k, it seems that mine also has the 3rd gear problem. Hard to push in, and sometimes pop out.

After read all your posts, I decide to call OZ honda and see what they say. It is a pain to have a new car with problem especially gear shifts.

Thanks, Wazza.:wave:

Chris_typer
19-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Hi, guys. I bought new CTR one week ago. After done almost 1000k, it seems that mine also has the 3rd gear problem. Hard to push in, and sometimes pop out.

After read all your posts, I decide to call OZ honda and see what they say. It is a pain to have a new car with problem especially gear shifts.

Thanks, Wazza.:wave:

Really weird I haven't noticed mine do that yet and ive done almost 1500km's..think its done it once the whole time I've had but that was when it was cold. Hope you guys can get it fixed soon.

GupZ
19-08-2007, 11:30 PM
Really weird I haven't noticed mine do that yet and ive done almost 1500km's..think its done it once the whole time I've had but that was when it was cold. Hope you guys can get it fixed soon.

x 2 here :eek:

Ive done 3000 Kms ...and the car is getting better and better.
I am absolutely convinced by that ;)

lukits01
20-08-2007, 09:58 AM
I agree, I've had the car for 5000km
The problem is getting less and less frequent
maybe its just me adjusting to how I drive the car
It seems this habbit has been built into the honda gearbox since forever
Talking to other honda enthusiast driving EG, Ek, DC2/5s. They all have their own little quirks with their gearbox.

Took the FN2R to the track over the weekend, got an instructor to drive it.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/tc3zdw
He didnt miss a beat. In fact he was utterly amazed by the quality of the gearbox. Hence from this day forth, I shall never ever complain about 3rd Gear ever again ahhaha

Chris_typer
20-08-2007, 03:46 PM
I agree, I've had the car for 5000km
The problem is getting less and less frequent
maybe its just me adjusting to how I drive the car
It seems this habbit has been built into the honda gearbox since forever
Talking to other honda enthusiast driving EG, Ek, DC2/5s. They all have their own little quirks with their gearbox.

Took the FN2R to the track over the weekend, got an instructor to drive it.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/tc3zdw
He didnt miss a beat. In fact he was utterly amazed by the quality of the gearbox. Hence from this day forth, I shall never ever complain about 3rd Gear ever again ahhaha

Yeah man that video is awesome...goto take mine to the track soon..he was given it some ay..how did it feel? Did it handle really well? and did he have the ESP on?

aaronng
20-08-2007, 04:52 PM
I can't download the vid. It always says capacity full.

Chris_typer
20-08-2007, 05:02 PM
I can't download the vid. It always says capacity full.

Uploading it onto YouTube so you can see it..hopefully that works for ya. Post link in a sec once it is done

lukits01
20-08-2007, 05:11 PM
The car felt great!
first thing they told us was "Turn off all electronic aids, it creates nothing but idiot drivers" ahhaha
Can get the tail out pretty easily on corner entry, and very controllable
Although corner exit is lacking IMHO. Probably due to the lack of LSD. It tends to run wide if you're early on the throttle. Hope to fix this soon.

The gearbox was brilliant! never missed a gear going into 3rd, although I did mishift a few times trying to upshift into 4th, this was more due to my illtimed footwork more than anything.

aaronng
20-08-2007, 05:13 PM
The car felt great!
first thing they told us was "Turn off all electronic aids, it creates nothing but idiot drivers" ahhaha
Can get the tail out pretty easily on corner entry, and very controllable
Although corner exit is lacking IMHO. Probably due to the lack of LSD. It tends to run wide if you're early on the throttle. Hope to fix this soon.

The gearbox was brilliant! never missed a gear going into 3rd, although I did mishift a few times trying to upshift into 4th, this was more due to my illtimed footwork more than anything.

Nice. Were you trying to shift fast into 4th? Would be better to just shift it in normally because 4th gear means you are on a straight or a long curve. Shifting quickly won't cut your time as much as if you were in a slower corner and in a lower gear.

aaronng
20-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Uploading it onto YouTube so you can see it..hopefully that works for ya. Post link in a sec once it is done

Thanks. You should recompress it as 87MB is too big for a vid that short. Resize it to 400x300.

Chris_typer
20-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Lol nothin but idiot drivers...

Thanks. You should recompress it as 87MB is too big for a vid that short. Resize it to 400x300

Doesn't matter I've already uploaded it..awaiting the video approval and will post it as soon as possible.

aaronng
20-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Doesn't matter I've already uploaded it..awaiting the video approval and will post it as soon as possible.
I meant for the one that you uploaded in full.

For youtube, they will recompress it for you after you upload anyway. The downside of youtube is that the sound quality also suffers.

Chris_typer
20-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Civic on the track - click here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgP1LKm-ccc)

there it is for you boys...enjoy.

aaronng
20-08-2007, 06:17 PM
Civic on the track - click here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgP1LKm-ccc)

there it is for you boys...enjoy.

Thanks!!!!:thumbsup:

LXRY
20-08-2007, 07:31 PM
Goodluck to you all. I feel your pain however I wouldnt get my hopes up with Honda Australia. I have found that their aftersales service has dramatically fallen over the past few years.

I second that fellas, have had my fair share of crappy aftersales crap from honda aust, has got me know where. ( my car a lemon :( )

They obviously feeling the pinch of not enough sales, heads might roll so denial denial denial, no leeks, very tight nit group, collaboration btw Honda Aust. and dealerships at it's best...there stories always match ( Even if it's WHITE, they say no it's BLACK !! )

Wish you guys all the best.....

Chris_typer
20-08-2007, 07:50 PM
I second that fellas, have had my fair share of crappy aftersales crap from honda aust, has got me know where. ( my car a lemon :( )

They obviously feeling the pinch of not enough sales, heads might roll so denial denial denial, no leeks, very tight nit group, collaboration btw Honda Aust. and dealerships at it's best...there stories always match ( Even if it's WHITE, they say no it's BLACK !! )

Wish you guys all the best.....

After sales in most automotive companies is quite poor...for instance my mother has Mercedes 4WD and shes had nothing but pathetic service from Mercedes. The people that sold her the car initially don't handle any of the after sales queries and you get nothing but poor service from the service staff. I'm not defending Honda, but it seems to be a problem in most companies at the moment, but then again I am yet to see poor after sales from Honda..hopefully I don't but I can see where your coming from.

aaronng
20-08-2007, 08:29 PM
LOL, he loves your gearbox. hehehe.
Did you take any vids of your driving?

lukits01
20-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Yea, I got chase car cam view
anyone want to upload it to youtube?

Chris_typer
20-08-2007, 09:35 PM
Yea, I got chase car cam view
anyone want to upload it to youtube?

Yeah sure..just send us a link where I can download it from and will do it for you.

stix
21-08-2007, 10:28 AM
dunno if this link has been posted on any other threads yet but i found it from a civic forum:

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2012058

Chris_typer
21-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Ok here you are boys, all the video's from lukits track run:

In-car cam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgP1LKm-ccc)

Outside car cam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYTps6iC1d0)

Chase car cam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkqLkZWJqZM)

In-car cam 2 - nightrun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgyolhb3lQk)

There pretty good..so check them out. Enjoy.

lukits01
21-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Ok here you are boys, all the video's from lukits track run:

In-car cam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgP1LKm-ccc)

Outside car cam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYTps6iC1d0)

Chase car cam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkqLkZWJqZM)

In-car cam 2 - nightrun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgyolhb3lQk)

There pretty good..so check them out. Enjoy.

cheers buddy
I posted a thread in the Gallery section
seeing that this is becoming unrelated to the topic of this thread hehe

Wazza
22-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Sorry to get back to the topic at hand, but has anyone received any more information on the third gear issue?

obsessionz
23-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Notchy 2nd & 3rd gear is becoming a honda trend these days... Honda Australia have the worst service. You tell them about Honda overseas have notified the problem... and they say we havent heard of it.. I hate how they act dumb. Get the problem fixed before you continue selling more honda's with dodgy gear box's

Bay56
23-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Hi Guys ... newbie to the this forum.

I came across this forum the night before I went for my much anticipated test drive of the Type R.

I would have purchased the car that day but this 3rd gear problem left me thinking that it would be better to wait till it is sorted out .. especially as I live in the colder climate of Canberra where this could be an issue.

I've been in two minds since, with posts (here and on the UK forum) indicating that it is not such a serious problem while other posts such as above indicating that it is.

The UK forum indicates that a fix is available late Sep to Oct.

I hope they sort it out as I cant wait to get one.

s2o0o
23-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Report it on the 1st service - and every other service after until something gets done.

Service will have the submit PQR's to Honda Australia that WILL pend on drivers feedback.

s2o0o
23-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Notchy 2nd & 3rd gear is becoming a honda trend these days... Honda Australia have the worst service. You tell them about Honda overseas have notified the problem... and they say we havent heard of it.. I hate how they act dumb. Get the problem fixed before you continue selling more honda's with dodgy gear box's

Get off your high horse oh high and honourable Honda driver. Not everyone in Honda Service sits online a Honda global orgy to nitpick every issue about every model of Honda. I'm sure they have lives outside of work. When they say "I haven't heard anything about it", it most likely means "Honda Australia does not have it listed anywhere therfore I haven't heard anything about it".

As for getting the problem fixed before they sell more dodgy Honda's - What is Honda meant to do? Halt all production of the vehicle - despite the huge demand? Keep your protest up in a forum and it just might happen....NOT!

Does anyone think before they type? More constipation of the brain; and diarrea of the mouth I'd say.

obsessionz
23-08-2007, 11:40 PM
For your information, this issue has occured in both models DC5R, EP3, S2000 and now the new CTR. Ive emailed honda japan about this issue and got a written response saying they have never heard of the issue.. Honda Australia then was in contact with me stateing that they have never heard of the issue either.

Below are links with over 50 pages of people with the same problem from the states & Australia with people with problems with their dc5r gear box.

So actually before you say something do some research... as hundreds of people around the world have this very same issue... so keep your comments to yourself unless you actually know about this issue. As i know much more about this problem then you do. Obviously you have no idea & Honda needs to fix this issue before releasing more cars as it continues from 2001 - 2007

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=127026

http://www.clubitr.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=2018&highlight=2nd+gear

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66033&highlight=dc5r+2nd+gear

http://www.petitiononline.com/RSXgrind/petition.html

matt
24-08-2007, 12:41 AM
S2000-there are k20/6speed cars all over the world with various problems, from notchy 2nd when cold to gears popping out and 3rd gear issues.
these cars ranging from DC5R (AUDM & JDM), RSX-S, EP3R.

thers is not a single forum relating to any of these cars that i have read that dont talk about the varuious issues relating to the gearboxes of these cars.
there must be 1000's if not 10000's of cars (worldwide) with dramas and Honda Aus had done **** all about it

and to date there are TSB's in both the USA and UK realting to these problems. to date i havent been able to confirm if theres a TSB for the DC5R (JDM). and there absolutely nothing from Honda Aus. Honda Australia wont even look at the TSB's...

LXRY
24-08-2007, 08:01 AM
Get off your high horse oh high and honourable Honda driver. Not everyone in Honda Service sits online a Honda global orgy to nitpick every issue about every model of Honda. I'm sure they have lives outside of work. When they say "I haven't heard anything about it", it most likely means "Honda Australia does not have it listed anywhere therfore I haven't heard anything about it".

As for getting the problem fixed before they sell more dodgy Honda's - What is Honda meant to do? Halt all production of the vehicle - despite the huge demand? Keep your protest up in a forum and it just might happen....NOT!

Does anyone think before they type? More constipation of the brain; and diarrea of the mouth I'd say.

Your wrong !!

Maybe honda need to trial the car longer before the release...seems like Honda has a bit of pressure to release there cars because their competion seems to be throwing cars at us ;)

If they do this then they'll have no problems, and then we won't complain all happy, instead they doing a microsoft on us-----> release the product and report problems, then fix. Consumers these days demand a good product especially off Honda and especially if you pay $40,000 + for a car. It is a Honda at the end of the day, not a KIA.

aaronng
24-08-2007, 08:20 AM
All those who bought their FN2Rs, Honda Australia should send you a survey to complete and also give you a checkup call about a week after purchase. You must let them know about the 3rd gear at that time.

LXRY
24-08-2007, 08:27 AM
All those who bought their FN2Rs, Honda Australia should send you a survey to complete and also give you a checkup call about a week after purchase. You must let them know about the 3rd gear at that time.

Yeah your totally right Aaronng....go to your dealership aswell and demand it fixed....even better go there (dealership) armed with copies of this thread tell them not to bullshit because the cat is out of the bag, thanks once again to ozhonda and it's members. Get your service manager to call Honda head office while you there. Call head office aswell put in a complaint yourself too. Don't leave till you get answers....:thumbsup:

Also send heaps of emails so you have proof that you did contact them....important because these ppl will deny everything...I have had my own issues with these guys at honda, they practice dirty tactics.

stix
24-08-2007, 12:16 PM

would you pay $40,000+ for something that you knew had faults with it?

if a company continue'd to produce the product knowing that it had the fault and something bad happened then they could be done for negligence.

i hope they dont ignore their customers coz all it takes is 1 rooted thing to take a good brand spiraling down. I've always had the view that honda produced really good vehicles but i dont think this 3rd gear issue is something that i would be satisfied with if i bought a CTR.

and of course honda know that the issue exists... sif they don't? they just gotta be careful about how they deal with it in order to not tarnish their rep.

lukits01
24-08-2007, 12:25 PM
I honestly think its not really a mechanical problem as such.
More to do with the inconsistency of the gearbox that catches most people
3rd gear (or 2nd gear for DC5 and AP1 owners) feels different to the rest of the gearbox in that the clutch needs to be all the way to the floor. Most times you get away with not doing things, and the other gears you can get away with pressing the clutch half way. I cant help but wonder, if Honda made all the gears needing clutch to the floor, would there be so many complaints? Thats my opinion anyway.

aaronng
24-08-2007, 12:57 PM
With the Euro, the clutch bite point for the newer models is somewhere near the bottom, so you do have to get your clutch pedal all the way down before you can shift. Those of you complaining about 3rd gear popping out, do you shift with partial clutch or full clutch? Does it happen during normal driving or when you are driving "spiritedly"?

obsessionz
24-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks for your thoughts but this is incorrect with the dc5r ... its caused from 5th and 6th gear set.. the syncro's are rough which causes drag on second gear... they made a revised 5th & 6th gear set in japan to fix this issue... and made a service bulletin in the states... to change 5th & 6th gear to the revised set... which fixes the notchy second gear... issue... But won't bring the fix here as Honda Australia deny's there is an issue. They rather just replace 2nd gear under warranty which doesn't resolve anything... If you dont have warranty your pretty much screwed i think its a similar issue with the CTR... but the cause hasnt been discovered as yet. It is not a human driving fault.. its not something so easy as pressing the clutch in all the way otherwise everyone would do it.

Have a read of the service bulletin on the below link..
http://www.intensedesigns.com.au/RSX-synchronizerbulletin.pdf

MKI4EVA
25-08-2007, 05:56 AM
I've got a quick fix...........hit top speed down EC straight in 6th or 5th then be a sick carnt and BANG IT into 1st...........I reckon it'll loose the 3rd gear along with some valve train as well.

aaronng
25-08-2007, 12:15 PM
I've got a quick fix...........hit top speed down EC straight in 6th or 5th then be a sick carnt and BANG IT into 1st...........I reckon it'll loose the 3rd gear along with some valve train as well.

..........:thumbdwn:

Bay56
01-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Has anyone got any more news on the dreaded 3rd gear prob.

Would be interested to hear any views on the matter.

Wazza
01-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Still no word from Honda Australia and according to the UK forums the 'fix kit' has been delayed until September/October. Honda Australia will not acknowledge the problem until Honda UK release the 'fix kit', but once it is released it will filter through to Australia in due course.

noodle999
01-09-2007, 07:31 PM
i have recently bought a TYPE R 2007 black, ran into the same problem on the 3rd gear issue, when i change from 2nd gear to 3rd gear, it won't go in smoothly as it would with the other gears, and when i ask about this problem, on my first service, they tested the car, and said it was normal.

however, i do run into an additional problem with this car, maybe other Type R owners have too. please confirm this with me if it's normal or not

i can hear a squeaking sound from the dashboard sometimes, as if like someone was pressing on it, but it stops and starts randomly, it's very anoying, and i asked about this issue with the salesman, he said this was normal, it happens, is that true?

sitta
01-09-2007, 09:23 PM
any squeking shouldnt be normal in a new car, it might happen after a few years because of the firm suspension but shouldnt happen to a new car. I dont have this problem with my ctr

noodle999
01-09-2007, 10:46 PM
yes, he did mention that it was probably due to the firm suspension, but it's hard to show it to him, it only happens randomly, is there anyways to prevent this from happening?

sitta
01-09-2007, 11:50 PM
open the whole dashboard and see where it comes from? and reinstall it again tightly thats the only option it will be quite hard, i also had a problem with my power window, the passenger side window switch on the driver side doesnt work but the passenger side switch works, havent consult honda yet since i have no time to go there yet

fasthonda
02-09-2007, 01:12 AM
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................however, i do run into an additional problem with this car, maybe other Type R owners have too. please confirm this with me if it's normal or not

i can hear a squeaking sound from the dashboard sometimes, as if like someone was pressing on it, but it stops and starts randomly, it's very anoying, and i asked about this issue with the salesman, he said this was normal, it happens, is that true?

Check out the posts on the UK site,they maybe talking about the same problem.

http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=143303

noodle999
02-09-2007, 02:01 PM
oh my god, looks like just about every new civic tyep R owner has this problem, or will have it soon, far out, paid $44,000 to get this home, and i have to live with this....... looks i have to complain about this in details in the survey they sending me, what else can i do? call that number and complain?

PNR888
02-09-2007, 02:55 PM
keep silence .... :)

they just want to sell you one and do not mention 3rd gear issue at all.

every dealer saying that CTR is in great demand and everyone has to put a deposit right now !

but Honda Australia sales figures are not available yet for the last two months - it would be interesting to know how many CTR have been sold ...

I would not be suprised that they are selling than 120 estimated figure per moth.

Channel 9 "Test Drive" program this afternoon had a red Civic Type R on the show. It says there are only 1200 allocated for Australia in the first 12 months.

sitta
02-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Channel 9 "Test Drive" program this afternoon had a red Civic Type R on the show. It says there are only 1200 allocated for Australia in the first 12 months.

yup thats true and i got one of the few

hengz
04-09-2007, 09:53 PM
i got my first service done last week at Ringwood Honda. I told them how it was hard to shift into 3rd at times and they acknowledged that it was a universal thing with the new hondas. Something about it having differnt syncro's and what not. believe their response or not they at least acknowleded that it 3rd gear was abit more difficult to get into take just suggested i fully engaged clutch and firmly placed it into 3rd. not much more we can do i guess

noodle999
04-09-2007, 10:36 PM
when i had my first service done, at essendon, they said it was normal, standarded , "couldn't find fault", bastards...

aaronng
04-09-2007, 11:32 PM
The Euro doesn't have a hard shifting into 3 problem, so it is not a thing with the recent new Hondas. :)

xtercii
06-09-2007, 11:55 AM

1200 for a car like this is heaps, it's not like everyone is falling in love with this car so much. i will laugh they can actually get rid off all 1200...

aaronng
06-09-2007, 12:28 PM
1200 for a car like this is heaps, it's not like everyone is falling in love with this car so much. i will laugh they can actually get rid off all 1200...

So if they perform badly and can't sell all of them, you won't laugh? :confused::confused::confused:

xtercii
06-09-2007, 01:00 PM
hahahah excuse my poor way of expressing myself...
your presence in ozhonda not only injecting wealthy amount of knowledge into the forum, but also helping the fellow members constantly elevating their English level...:D:D

aaronng
06-09-2007, 01:09 PM
LOL, nah, I just thought it was funny. Hehe. :)

Bay56
22-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Surprised this thread got down to page 7

Has anyone had further news on 3rd gear issues in Oz?

Seems as though some bods have had the fix done on the UK forum.

Setanta
22-09-2007, 05:54 PM
your presence at Ozhonda not only injects a wealth of knowledge into the forum, but also helps fellow members to elevate their English ...:D:D

FixT

:D

scollops
17-10-2007, 09:09 AM
I called Honda Australia spoke to a guy called Mark - seems there are as of last week only 3 official people on the list for issue logged. They still do not have anything from the UK to say do the fix - so at this stage still a waiting game.

shun
17-10-2007, 11:38 PM
i've had mine for about 4 weeks now and have had the 3rd gear pop out a couple times. I can't seem to replicate the problem consistently though.
I had it happen this morning as I drove to work. No enthusiastic driving was involved.
I think it's a combination of cold weather (in perth ?!), and also getting used to the clutch.
My old EG civic was very forgiving on pressing the clutch down before changing gears.
the fn2 seems to demand that you press all the way and change the gear before letting the clutch up.
I'll keep an eye on it and see if it happens regularly.

stix
30-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Hi guys,

any improvements in your cars with this issue?

is the problem still persisting for those who have their civics for a while now?
is the problem present in any of the cars that have purchased very recently?

Wazza
30-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Hi guys,

is the problem still persisting for those who have their civics for a while now?

Still waiting for the official fix to be released in the UK and then for it to filter through to AUS.

The problem is still persisting on my car, the only improvement is from me becoming more aware of it and modifying the way I change into third...

Reothe
30-10-2007, 02:31 PM
hi guys i just bought my CTR a week ago and i've had the third gear pop out once so far. Just found this thread..interesting to see fellow ctr owners have been having this problem also? I haven't even done 100km on the clock yet and its already happened to me :( At first I thought it was my poor driving and didn't shift properly as I only just learned how to drive manual.. lol :P

obsessionz
30-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Yeh my grandma is driving 1 of these... and the 3 gear grinds and pops out on her too ... pretty notchy 3rd gear if you ask me ... especially when she hits vtec... will just pop out! Once it warms up gear box is ok... what's the go honda?

fasthonda
30-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Hi guys,

I got my car on Friday OCT. 19th.It has popped out a few times but,I wondering whether the problem is caused partially by my own doing.I'm still not quite used to slotting it into third as my previous car (1998 CXI)On the times that I have quickly accelerated the car the gear changes have slotted in perfectly including the 3rd.
I have just over 400 Klms on the clock and I have to say ,I've enjoyed every single one of them. :)

obsessionz
30-10-2007, 04:32 PM
haha dude theres no trick to putting it into 3rd gear... lol all u do is put clutch in and shift up... it pops out because there is an issue with the 3rd gear on this model car... check the uk forums its all over the site

FN2TypeR
30-10-2007, 09:05 PM
I've had my FN2 for 3 months now and I have no problems with it.

Reothe
30-10-2007, 09:42 PM
I just had a look on the UK type R owners forum and apparently a fix was out for the 3rd gear synchro replacement 4-6 weeks ago.

obsessionz
30-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Please post link for others to see Reothe...

Wazza
31-10-2007, 09:42 AM
I just had a look on the UK type R owners forum and apparently a fix was out for the 3rd gear synchro replacement 4-6 weeks ago.

As far as I am aware a fix was fitted to a few cars around a month ago unsuccessfully, hence it is still not available.....

UNLS1
31-10-2007, 02:16 PM
so is it Japans fault or UKs fault with the 3rd gear prob. with the gear box commin from japan.

FN2TypeR
31-10-2007, 07:02 PM
I don't think you're slotting it into 3rd fully in.

I've had no problems.

FN2TypeR
31-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Is it just me but my gears are smooth as.

1 -> 2
2 -> 3
3 -> 4
4 -> 5
5 -> 6

All smooth. Strange to hear about popping out. Did you guys run it in properly? I avoided rapid acceleration during the first 1000kms as recommended in the manual. I always warm it up before driving. Maybe its a temperature issue? Try warming it up first?

Reothe
01-11-2007, 12:46 AM
Here is the link to the UK owner's discussion on 3rd gear synchro replacements in the UK: http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=132568&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=380

Apparently a lot of owners in the UK have this problem and a few of them have claimed to have had it fixed or given new cars without the faulty gearboxes.

UNLS1
01-11-2007, 09:58 AM
hmmm our demo doesnt slip. and i know 3 customers cars that are fine.
i had one customer tell me about the slip though, but he said u just learnto drive with it and push the clutch in further every time u change to 3rd.
he still loves his car.

FN2TypeR
02-11-2007, 08:00 AM
Hi guys, there is one thing I've definitely noticed. If the engine is cold I do tend to feel getting it into 3rd gear is a bit stiff. I think after about 10 minutes and the engine is properly settled the gears are fine.

I did a naughty thing this morning, i revved it to 7000rpm on 2nd and shifting into 3rd was difficult. The engine was running for about 5 minutes in total.

What's your opinion?

obsessionz
02-11-2007, 08:40 AM
Ok this is because the gear box oil is cold so the gear box will be notchy it shouldnt be but this is the way it is.. once the gear box oil warms up a good 10-15mins of driving should be heaps better because the gears get all lubed up and the oil becomes hot... should slide into gears like silk once warmed up.. other reccomendation is to try out a gear box oil like Redline Shockproof super light weight or even just redline MTF (Best gear box oil i have ever used!) as i think honda mtf isnt that great.

FN2TypeR
02-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Ok this is because the gear box oil is cold so the gear box will be notchy it shouldnt be but this is the way it is.. once the gear box oil warms up a good 10-15mins of driving should be heaps better because the gears get all lubed up and the oil becomes hot... should slide into gears like silk once warmed up.. other reccomendation is to try out a gear box oil like Redline Shockproof super light weight or even just redline MTF (Best gear box oil i have ever used!) as i think honda mtf isnt that great.

No wonder! Thanks for sharing.

dancivicR
05-11-2007, 09:38 AM
when i got my civic type r 2 weeks ago 3rd gear was popping out but now it does not do it anymore. my paint is also of poor quality its chipping away along the door. oh well great car tho.

FN2TypeR
05-11-2007, 09:50 AM
my paint is also of poor quality its chipping away along the door. oh well great car tho.

What colour is yours? Mines red. Cipping away at the door? Where abouts and how did that happen? I banged my door accidentally on a wall and it has very very small chips on the edge. I got one minor stone chip on the lip but that's about it. I'll probably get some touch up paint soon.

fasthonda
05-11-2007, 10:14 AM
What colour is yours? Mines red. Cipping away at the door? Where abouts and how did that happen? I banged my door accidentally on a wall and it has very very small chips on the edge. I got one minor stone chip on the lip but that's about it. I'll probably get some touch up paint soon.

Like I said in a previous post,I luckily have a very good paint job on my car and as yet, no chips.Have you tried using the touch-up pencil that Honda includes ?.I think I found mine in the glove box.

FN2TypeR
05-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Like I said in a previous post,I luckily have a very good paint job on my car and as yet, no chips.Have you tried using the touch-up pencil that Honda includes ?.I think I found mine in the glove box.

touch up pencil? There is such a thing? I wasn't given any!? What does it look like? I'm gonna complain!

fasthonda
05-11-2007, 10:45 AM
touch up pencil? There is such a thing? I wasn't given any!? What does it look like? I'm gonna complain!

Here is a picture of my touch -up pencil.

http://i22.tinypic.com/2dkleo5.jpg

FN2TypeR
05-11-2007, 10:53 AM
Hmmm maybe it's a Melbourne thing to give out touch up paint. Not here in Sydney. My last 2 Honda purchases (05 Euro and 06 Accord) didn't provide touch up paint either.

So does it have bristles? I get the feeling a 'pencil' would be much more finer and easier to apply.

Any other Sydney FN2R owners got touch up paint with their purchase?

fasthonda
05-11-2007, 11:04 AM
It's very similiar to a nail brush from a small bottle that women may use to paint or polish their nails.So,strictly speaking it's not really a pencil but that's how they named it on the package.

BF52
05-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Got 1 in Perth too...
They usually give u 1... the last few cars did.

dancivicR
05-11-2007, 11:42 AM
my civic is silver and its chipping away at the door. i have not banged the door against anything. unless it was done before i picked up the car.

Reothe
05-11-2007, 12:16 PM
I received a touch up pencil in the glove box as well and mine's milano red. On the day I picked up the car I remember my dad enquiring about touch up paint and the dealer adamantly refused to include a bottle..and then when we got home we miraculously discovered a bottle hidden inside the glovebox :D Guess the dealers don't realize they come with a small bottle of touch up paint out of the factory as standard :) For those that didn't receive it..could your car have been a demo or display car and someone sneaked in and pinched it out of the glovebox?

FN2TypeR
05-11-2007, 12:22 PM
I received a touch up pencil in the glove box as well and mine's milano red. On the day I picked up the car I remember my dad enquiring about touch up paint and the dealer adamantly refused to include a bottle..and then when we got home we miraculously discovered a bottle hidden inside the glovebox :D Guess the dealers don't realize they come with a small bottle of touch up paint out of the factory as standard :) For those that didn't receive it..could your car have been a demo or display car and someone sneaked in and pinched it out of the glovebox?

No mine wasn't on display or a demo. I had specifically requested a brand new one off the boat hence waited 3 weeks.

Are you in Sydney? If so which dealer did you get yours from?

FN2TypeR
05-11-2007, 12:38 PM
It's very similiar to a nail brush from a small bottle that women may use to paint or polish their nails.So,strictly speaking it's not really a pencil but that's how they named it on the package.

Thanks for this info. If it weren't for you guys I wouldn't have known it came standard. I'm going to ring my dealer now. Thanks for the photo too, it provides good leverage if they refuse.

FN2TypeR
05-11-2007, 01:00 PM
The dealer just rang back, he said it doesn't come standard as it varies from dealer to dealer. Luckily he remembered me so he's gonna order one for me for free. Phew...

sitta
05-11-2007, 03:47 PM
The dealer just rang back, he said it doesn't come standard as it varies from dealer to dealer. Luckily he remembered me so he's gonna order one for me for free. Phew...

I think its your dealer's problem. The paint should come with the car. My 3 honds all have them, crv, mdx and ctr

Reothe
07-11-2007, 02:46 PM
I got mine from John Blair in Melbourne and not only did the dealer not know about the touch up paint he refused to give us one when we went and picked the car up. Anyway, luckily we managed to find one tucked away in the glove box. I'm pretty sure it should come standard out of the factory since our previous honda had it as well. Your dealer's definitely being dodgy if it's missing :P But yeah.. they all try to deny your car comes with anything apart from a metal shell and a steering wheel :D

Nighthawk
15-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Just adding my 2 cents to the 3rd gear debate. I just had my 1,000km service done and so far (since driving from new) I haven't noticed any issues with 3rd gear, either slotting it in or it popping out.

abzndintegra
17-12-2007, 07:40 AM
hmmmm ive done about 11000 kilometres in my civic and never notice a gearbox or paint chip problem,

User error maybe?

UNLS1
17-12-2007, 09:09 AM
lol the CTR is the only car that comes with touch up paint standard in the glove box!

If they dont give it to you then id fire up!
everyone ive sold and seen has it!

industrie
18-12-2007, 10:29 AM
honda paint is not thick at all, hence the touch up paint, one of my mates has the civic type R and he has stone chips left front centre on his bumper and bonnet...god damn...

StrawberryFace
18-12-2007, 01:13 PM
bad UK build quality?

KashCTR
19-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Hi Guys

I got my CTR in November its now done 1400Ks approx. I had this problem from the very first day. I have read a million threads and forums and can confirm this is a problem is CTRs (atleast 95%) only a few owners have not had this problem. Maybe they have not realized it yet because this problem does not happen every time you engage third gear. But to those who are thinking of buying it its not a major issue. If I am not lazy I dont get this problem it happens only in city driving when I am tired....

But have tot say love this car... !!!!!!!!!!

I read somewhere that Honda are trying to get a fix for this problem in UK any news on that....??? Let me know

Cheers

Double R
09-03-2008, 09:30 PM
We're not the only ones with 3rd gear issues. Same problem in the States with their SI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNOQHAVsbhE

Kidnkorner
25-03-2008, 04:57 PM
You guys aren't the only ones with this problem. All the guys in North America are suffering as well.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mechanical-problems-technical-chat/76295-protest-honda-escondido-3rd-gear-problems.html

Sidor
18-05-2008, 09:30 PM
You guys aren't the only ones with this problem. All the guys in North America are suffering as well.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mechanical-problems-technical-chat/76295-protest-honda-escondido-3rd-gear-problems.html

Managing Director of JAS Motorsport, Mr. Alessandro Mariani said, “We are frustrated with the failure of the transmission which prevented the Civic from achieving an impressive result in its Australian debut. However, we enjoyed the experience and are very committed to the next Australian event." (http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/internet/honda.com.au/home/news/hondas+strong+rally+debut+in+rally+of+canberra)

hopefully it was not 3rd gear issue that Honda denies ...

:p

lukits01
18-05-2008, 10:04 PM
JAS motorsport FN2 doesn't use Honda Gearbox
They use Sequential Gearbox made by SADEV

amato2
18-05-2008, 11:28 PM
i picked up my FN on friday, ive done 120ks over the weekend and didnt notice what o ever the third gear prob maybe i am just lucky...

Luvin it though best car i have eva bought!!

Felix
19-05-2008, 10:55 AM
I just took mine in for the 1month service. The honda dealer mentioned that they were aware of 3rd gear issues in the FN2R and that a transmission fluid change "seems" to fix the problem...

Reothe
19-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Did they change your transmission fluid over under warranty or did they make you pay for it? Thanks for the info by the way.

Felix
19-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Did they change your transmission fluid over under warranty or did they make you pay for it? Thanks for the info by the way.

Under warranty, during first free check up. i just picked up the car, drove about 15kms. Going into 3rd gear feels heaps better already. The mechanic said they have fixed 6 cars with the 3rd gear problem by just changing the transmission fluid.

UGE70Y
21-05-2008, 11:41 AM
hey all,

i got my fn2 around october 07 waited 2months before i got the car which was a bitch. its now 7months and still loving it the only problems i had were the frickin paint stone chipping dat sucked was like a week after i got the car i had like 3 big ones.

Ive experienced my fn2 to roll down the drive way when parked i forgot to place it in gear only the hand brake on. Was weird a new car to be doin that nearly broke down n cryed like a baby. This was like 2 weeks in.

Ive experience a pop maybe 2 times with the gear box but seems to be runnin fine. That really sux for those with that 3rd gear issue.

The first 1000k you have to be gentle right but i was thrashing it hard, when i went out of the dealer ship hit 140km on the m4 which i was told no to do but still ive had no problems with the gear box.

i got new rims after doin 1000k was real happy with em too OZZY TYRES Vertinni Fashios 20x8.5 $2700 cash money. Was so paranoid about get m dem scratched they look awsome but to summarise everything up until now --

Passenger side door bottom section scratched up (Fukn Pitt St Parking Barriers)

Front bonet 3 big stone chips n accumilattin also my pops dropped a frikkin broom on it has a tiny dent (cryed for like weeks about it)

Water reservoir was leaking so got that fixed with the waranty - that really sux for a new car to have dat problem

20inch Vertinni Fashions all wheels Scratched but still lookin hot

Front Skirt mud guard driver side eatin up - ive got 20s n didnt lower my ride no rubbing but occasional front end scratchn - so for those lowerin your FN2 drive really really really careful

All up still lookin hot n can't waite to mod it up JTUNE Supacharga

http://www.hondatech.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=845&stc=1&d=1208928763

http://www.hondatech.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=842&stc=1&d=1208928763

http://www.hondatech.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=846&stc=1&d=1208928763